This Homemade Twix Cookie Bars recipe brings your favorite candy bar home to your kitchen. A buttery shortbread cookie base with caramel and chocolate, better than the original!
Table of Contents
Why these Bars are the Best
It’ll only take one bite of these homemade Twix bars to convert even the most devout Twix lovers. They start with a shortbread cookie crust!
- Better than store-bought taste with fewer calories per serving.
- Using caramel chips provides perfect taste and texture without the fuss of making homemade caramel.
- With a yield of 32 bars, this is the perfect recipe for any gathering, event, or potluck.
- From start to finish, this recipe takes less than an hour.
Love these bars? Try our easy twix cookies next!
- Butter – Use unsalted and softened butter to stay true to the original Twix taste.
- Powdered Sugar – Don’t substitute other types of sugar here. The superfine powdered sugar will give you the best shortbread texture.
- Salt – Opt for Kosher salt instead of iodized table salt, so the bars aren’t overly salty.
- Vanilla Extract – It’s worth it to pick up pure vanilla extract, the flavor is far better than the artificial stuff. Or try our homemade vanilla extract.
- Kraft Caramel Bits – Find these caramel chips in the baking aisle of your grocery store. They’re a key ingredient that makes this recipe so easy. Of course our homemade caramels would also be perfect!
- Heavy Whipping Cream – The fat content in this ingredient makes the caramel thick, sticky, and rich. Don’t swap it for lesser-fat dairy, or the texture of the caramel will be affected.
- Milk Chocolate Morsels – You can use regular chocolate chips or chop up a large baking bar.
- Beat Butter & Sugar –Beat the butter and powdered sugar until light, fluffy, and almost doubled in size.
- Form Cookie Dough – Don’t overmix the dough. Otherwise, you won’t achieve the short and tender cookie texture we’re going for.
- Bake & Cool Shortbread – Spread the dough into an ungreased, parchment-lined 9” square baking dish.
- Create Caramel Layer – While the shortbread base is cooling, combine caramels and heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave this mixture in increments, stirring between each cook time, until the caramel is melted and smooth. Then, while the shortbread is still warm, spread the caramel layer over the top.
- Melt & Spread Chocolate Layer – Spread over the top of the caramel layer.
- Set, Cut, & Enjoy – Allow the bars to set for at least 30 minutes before cutting them into bars. This recipe makes 32 Twix-sized cookie bars, so divide the shortbread accordingly.
Store these bars in an airtight container at room temperature. They’ll keep for 3-5 days.
The chocolate isn’t tempered in this recipe, so it’s best to keep the finished bars at room temperature. If you freeze leftover bars, the chocolate layer will bloom, causing it to discolor.
You can freeze the shortbread dough or bake then freeze it until you need it. Don’t make the caramel or chocolate in advance. Instead, start those steps when you’re ready to assemble the bars.
Feel free to swap out the AP flour in this recipe for 1¼ cup super fine almond flour and ¾ cup coconut flour. Or use a cup for cup gluten free flour.
More Copycat Recipes
- I know it’s a savory dish, but this Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup is spot on! My family LOVES this recipe!
- Ever pick up one of those Salted Nut Rolls from the grocery store? So delicious, I had to make my own recipe!
- Peppermint filling wrapped in sweet chocolate; this Peppermint Patty recipe is easier than you ever realized. Skip the store bought candies and make your own! Shape them like footballs for a game day treat!
- Love lunch treats? Whip up a batch of our copycat Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies.
- Hostess has nothing on our hostess cupcake recipe! And our Twinkie cake is so good.
Homemade Twix Bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 package Kraft caramel bits 11 ounce
- 1 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 package milk chocolate morsels 12 ounce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and powdered sugar for several minutes until well blended. Add in flour, salt, and vanilla. Beat for 2-3 minutes until dough starts to form a ball.
- Press dough into a 9-inch-square baking dish lined with parchment paper. Bake for 21-25 minutes, until edges become lightly browned. Remove and cool completely.
- While shortbread base is cooling, add caramel bits and whipping cream to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, stir and heat again for an additional 15-30 seconds. Stir until smooth. Pour over cooled (or mostly cooled) shortbread. Spread evenly.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for one minute. Stir and heat an additional 30 seconds. Frost the top of the caramel and allow to set (about 30 minutes). Cut into bars and enjoy. It may be easier to refrigerate the bars and cut while slightly firm.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with this Homemade Twix Bar Recipe. Buttery shortbread and sticky caramel topped with a layer of decadent chocolate make this copycat recipe one you won’t want to miss.