Meatball Parmesan Casserole

Healthy, baked, Turkey Meatballs in this delicious casserole. Move over Chicken Parmesan, there’s a new dinner at the table!

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

Meatball Parmesan Casserole,  delicious baked turkey meatballs in a saucy, cheesy dish! Perfect on a sub sandwich!

So basically, I’m starting to hate winter. I’m getting tired of being cold. I’m tired of snow. Of wet dog prints on my floors. Of winter boots, snowpants and gloves taking over my laundry room. Tired of my black car looking white from the salt.

However, I can’t imagine winter without snow. Odd, right? I don’t know how you live in Miami and not experience snow. It’s an odd thing to see photos on facebook of people wearing shorts this time of year.

My hating winter could come from the fact that my children have not had a full week of school since mid-December. It appears we will be going an extra week into our summer at this point. While my kids cheer and hurrah now for the snow day, how quickly June will be here and they will be grumpy and anxious for their summer break!

I would totally homeschool too, except I can’t do beyond 4th grade math. And the parts of a sentence? Well, you can see by the way write that I don’t know how to create sentences correctly. Science? Umm, I don’t really want to deal with the messes. Art? *see science. Music? no talent. Clearly my children would not bode well at home.

So, I’m at the mercy of our schools. And our administrators. For the love of all things pure and holy, lets try to not make school go to 4th of July. That’s a good goal right?

There is one thing I’m good at. Eating. I’m pretty good at that. Talented some might say.

Creating a delicious home cooked meal on a cold day is one thing I love! I LOVE the smell of dinner in the oven. I love the warm meal in our bellies. I love sitting down at the dinner table together as family!

If you love those things too, give this Meatball Parmesan Casserole a try. We used the meatballs to create sub sandwiches. You can also use them on top of a pile of pasta. You will want some extra sauce though if making pasta. Or, skip the carbs and eat a plate of meatballs with a green salad. These are wonderful the next day as leftovers too!

Looking to cut some prep time? I like to make my meatballs in advance and freeze them after baking. I store them in Ziploc bags with the amount needed for a family dinner. Makes weeknight meals so much easier! ENJOY!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Meatball Parmesan Casserole

Yield: 40 meatballs

Delicious baked turkey meatballs in a saucy cheesy casserole!

For the meatballs:
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
  • 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
  • 3 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 6 cranks fresh ground black pepper
  • For the casserole:
  • 1 jar (24oz) spaghetti sauce
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded

For the meatballs:
  1. In large bowl, mix together the meatball ingredients until combined evenly (I use my hands). Roll into 40 balls (about 1 1/2-2 inches). Space evenly on prepared baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
  2. For the casserole:
  3. Pour half of the spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 2qt baking dish. Top with meatballs. Pour remaining sauce over meatballs. Top with shredded parmesan and mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
  4. Serve as is, or with a pile of pasta. Also great on a sub sandwich!

Love meatballs? Here are a few of my favorite meatball recipes:

Turkey Meatballs with Bruschetta Sauce

Cheesy Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Buffalo Meatballs with Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing

Rum Glazed Tropical Meatballs

58 Responses to “Meatball Parmesan Casserole”

1. posted Feb 7, 2014 at 7:19 am

Freezing the meatballs is a great idea! With all the kid activities, I find I need quick dinners more often! Great dinner Aimee!

• posted Feb 8, 2014 at 9:33 am

Thanks Tanya! I always have bags of frozen meatballs in my freezer :)

2. posted Feb 7, 2014 at 8:43 am

I’m feeling the same way about winter but trying not to complain. Loading up on coffee and enjoying my robe, slippers and fireplace much more than usual!
    Looks like a great casserole that my whole family would enjoy! If there’s cheese we’re there. :)

• posted Feb 8, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I hope you try it Melanie, it’s awesome!! I hear ya on the coffee!

3. posted Feb 7, 2014 at 8:52 am

OOh, I’m definitely pinning this! I’m always looking for different ways to use ground turkey and for some reason I never think about meatballs. This looks really good!

• posted Feb 8, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Interesting, my mind always goes straight to meatballs :)

4. posted Feb 7, 2014 at 9:04 am

My kids love meatballs! I’m going to have to add this to my menu because I know it would be a hit!

5. posted Feb 7, 2014 at 9:16 am

Comfort food at it’s finest…that meatball sub looks so good!!

• posted Feb 8, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Thanks Becca!! We loved the meatballs on the subs!!

6. posted Feb 7, 2014 at 10:13 am

I’m going to need to make this one for sure! Totally family-friendly meal.

7. posted Feb 7, 2014 at 10:34 am

I like the snow but definitely not too much, I am ready for winter to be gone so I can stop freezing all of the time. Seriously walk around with one or two sweaters on! I need to add this to my meal plan!

8. posted Feb 7, 2014 at 11:31 am

I’m so over winter too! The cold, the ice, the snow days…I’m done!!! Honestly I could live in FL and never see snow again! Although I do like the comfort food this time of year! These meatballs look amazing! If there wasn’t so much snow between your house and mine, I would pop in for dinner!!!

• posted Feb 8, 2014 at 5:00 pm

I wish you could pop in for dinner!! Have a great week!!

9. posted Feb 7, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Ohhh yum… I love the idea for this! Perfect comfort food.

10. posted Feb 7, 2014 at 7:58 pm

That looks good! Around here it’s finally cold and we are getting some much needed rain! Bring on the warm comfort food!

11. posted Feb 7, 2014 at 11:55 pm

I’m so with you on the no schooling my kids for the exact same reasons! You’re too funny! Love this meatball casserole!

• posted Feb 8, 2014 at 9:36 am

Thanks Gloria!! Your pizza pockets have made my menu next week :)

12. posted Feb 8, 2014 at 8:48 am

This is SUCH a good idea – I haven’t even had breakfast yet and this is making me hungry! Perfect for the ongoing snowiness.

• posted Feb 8, 2014 at 9:35 am

UGH, I just saw we are supposed to get more snow tonight. Will it ever stop???? LOL!!

13. posted Feb 8, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I could eat this every day of the week! That would be a serious problem!

• posted Feb 8, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I see nothing wrong with that at all. They’re turkey meatballs. And baked. No problems here…

14. posted Feb 8, 2014 at 2:13 pm

lol I could never do homeschooling for my future kids either…pesky math.

I love this casserole-it looks cheesy and comforting and meaty! I can’t believe those are turkey meatballs!

• posted Feb 8, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Yeah, that math is something all right!! Turkey meatballs with lots of seasoning are the best!

15. posted Feb 8, 2014 at 11:29 pm

This casserole looks great! Love using turkey to make it a little healthier. Thanks for sharing :)

16. posted Feb 11, 2014 at 6:57 am

I feel the same way about winter – it feels exceptionally long this year. Comfort food like this is perfect for this weather, love that you use turkey in here too, my whole family would love this :)

17. posted Feb 15, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Meatballs=Perfection!! And in a casserole? Score! :)

18. posted Feb 15, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Okay, you’ve convinced me! So far, I’m not very good at making meatballs. But this looks so good I think I’ll have to try again. (I also don’t have much affection for ground turkey but you just might win me over in that dept. too. If not, that’s OK)
    Thanks for the recipe!

19. posted Feb 16, 2014 at 10:47 pm

This looks like one fabulous casserole!! The cheesy, gooey photo just floors me!

20. posted Feb 23, 2014 at 9:54 am

This looks so amazing :) I am now having a very strong meatball craving, yum!!

21. Cammie
    posted Mar 23, 2014 at 11:29 pm

These are the bomb-diggity of meatballs…seriously! This is the third time I’ve made them and I’m tripling up because they go so fast. I’ve been using the squeeze tube of Italian Seasoning that comes out in a paste form and holy meatballs, the flavoring is just amazing. I like this one so much I might just turn it into meatloaf, and it’ll be the first meatloaf I’ve had since childhood. But it’s that good. Thanks very much for making me into a meatball lover!

• posted Mar 26, 2014 at 8:34 am

I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed the recipe Cammie!! Thanks for stopping back over and letting me know, I love to hear when people try my food!!

22. Pingback: Foodies Network » Meatball Parmesan Casserole

23. Pingback: Food Prep: Delicious Recipes for Easy Meals | Life on Planetmarsz

24. Jackie
    posted May 7, 2014 at 6:32 pm

I’m not sure what I did wrong when I made the meatballs. Mine kind of oozed out and got flat on the bottom. So it’s not really meatball casserole, it’s hunk of meat casserole. It tastes good, though!

25. Pingback: Meatball Parmesan Casserole : Get Daily

26. Joann
    posted May 15, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Hey there Aimee, just saw the “Meatball Parmesan Casserole”, and it looks delicious. I do have a question, can you use ground beef instead of turkey? and if so, would I need to change anything or just use the same seasonings and everything you used. :) Thanks so much for any help you can give me. Can’t wait to try this. :)

27. Joann
    posted May 15, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Hey Aimee, it’s Joann again I forgot to ask you if you used fresh parmesan or that in the green can, and also did you use all those meatballs in one casserole (I know that was probably a dumb question, but just making sure HaHa)? And about how many did you use in your casserole? So Sorryyyy :(. Thanks again. :)

28. posted May 22, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Delicious! Thank you for this recipe! It was super easy to follow and doable on a weeknight. I will make ahead and freeze next time like you suggested. The small meatball size is perfect for my toddler!

29. Pingback: 10 Yummy Casserole Dinner Meals | Pinterest Food

30. Pingback: 15 Incredible Casserole Recipes – GleamItUp

31. Pingback: 15 Easy Recipes for Meatballs - GleamItUp

32. Vicky
    posted Aug 12, 2014 at 7:28 am

Although I used my own recipe for the meatballs[fresh garlic, parm cheese, bread soaked in milk, It. seasonings, minced onion, It. turkey sausage mixed with the ground turkey], I loved the method., so I guess that’s what my review is about! It looked so good with the bubbling sauce and melted cheese. I also cooked pasta and used extra sauce as you suggested. I had a houseful of family who enjoyed it including the 7 grandkids. Thanks for sharing. I will make again.

• posted Aug 12, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I love to hear when people use my recipes as a suggestion, or a method. So glad you enjoyed your dinner :)

33. Pingback: 8 Delicious Pinterest Recipes

34. Candi
    posted Sep 20, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I want to cook the pasta with it. How much sauce would you recommend adding? Precook the pasta? Sorry, I’m new to cooking!

35. Pingback: ideascute » Blog Archive » Meatball Parmesan Casserole

36. Vanesa
    posted Oct 22, 2014 at 6:19 pm

I mess up and ussed tomato sauce in sted of prego sauce. I hope it come out no am so xcit to make it. Am cooking it w/garlic knots.

37. Pingback: 100+ Incredible Casserole Recipes! ⋆ The NEW N!FYmagThe NEW N!FYmag

38. Pingback: Sunday Food Prep Inspiration 56