Easy, Italian Meatball Sub Sandwich recipe made from homemade meatballs, delicious marinara sauce, served toasted with extra cheese! The perfect weeknight dinner.
When it comes to easy dinners, this Meatball Sub recipe tops the charts.
I put the meatballs in a crockpot or slow cooker with sauce and turn on low until I’m ready to assemble them. This adds extra flavor to the meatballs, and makes dinnertime a snap.
Making several batches of meatballs ahead of time and freezing them is my favorite Sunday activity.
Ready to start?
How to Make Meatball Subs
FOR PAN FRIED MEATBALLS:
STEP 1. Start by cooking your meatballs. This can be done in the morning, or do it days/weeks in advance and freeze them until ready to use.
For the meatballs, you can use ground beef or ground turkey. I usually opt for the ground turkey, but either is delicious in this basic recipe.
In a large bowl, mix the ground turkey with egg, bread crumbs, garlic, salt and pepper, and milk. Use your hands!
STEP 2. Shape meat into bite size balls (smaller than a golf ball).
STEP 3. Heat a large skillet with 1 Tbsp oil. Cook in single layer, turning frequently until completely cooked.
FOR OVEN BAKED MEATBALLS
For an easier clean up, place a sheet of foil on a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place meatballs onto baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes (no need to flip).
Remove from oven and use immediately in crockpot, or freeze for later use.
For the meatball sub recipe, place meatballs in slow cooker. Top with tomato sauce, garlic salt, and italian seasoning. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
TO ASSEMBLE SUBS
When ready to serve, turn oven to broil. Place about 4-5 meatballs on each sub roll, with sauce. Add parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.
PRO TIP: Adding provolone cheese slices to the bun BEFORE adding meatballs gives these hoagies an extra cheesy flavor!
Bake until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. ENJOY.
Quick Steps for making Meatball Subs
- Make Meatballs. Either use freshly made or already prepared, frozen meatballs.
- Add sauce. Simmer all day in crockpot or on stove top in 15 minutes.
- Prepare the bun. Choose a hoagie roll, or french roll, slice in half and add meatballs, sauce, and cheese.
- Broil. 5 minutes is all you need to toast your meatball subs.
- Eat. Dig in to this easy, versatile dinner!
Can you freeze Meatballs
Absolutely. You can freeze them cooked or raw.
For raw meatballs, place on a foil lined baking sheet. Flash freeze for 30 minutes. Remove from sheet and slide into a ziploc freezer bag.
Use in your favorite meatball recipe within 3 months.
For cooked meatballs, allow to cool completely after cooking. Place in ziploc freezer bag.
You can add your frozen meatballs to the crockpot for today’s meatball sub recipe. No need to thaw first!
PRO TIP: Meatball Subs are great for a crowd. You can easily double or triple the batch of meatballs. Line up your hoagies on a cookie sheet, fill, and broil. Serve and enjoy!
What to serve with Meatball Subs
- Looking for the perfect side dish for your meatball subs?
- This simple Italian Salad with homemade Italian Dressing is our favorite weeknight side dish. It’s the perfect green salad.
- Treat your dinner guests or potluck friends and family to an Easy Taffy Apple Salad recipe. Made with apples, pineapple, whipped cream, peanuts & more.
- Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole (or Funeral Potatoes). It doesn’t get better than these!
- Ritz Cracker Mac and Cheese is made with two kinds of cheese and is topped with buttery Ritz crackers for a creamy, rich side or main dish that the whole family will love.
Pin this now to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite Board
More meatball recipes
- Meatball Parmesan Casserole
- Swedish Meatballs
- Cheesy Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Zucchini Meatballs (vegetarian recipe)
- Buffalo Meatballs with Blue Cheese Dressing
Recipe originally published April 2011, photos updated, April 2019