Easy, Italian Meatball Sub Sandwich recipe made from homemade meatballs, delicious marinara sauce, served toasted with extra cheese! The perfect weeknight dinner.
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
When it comes to easy dinners, this Meatball Sub recipe tops the charts.
I use my favorite turkey meatball recipe, making them a little larger than normal, and simmering them in a flavorful marinara sauce.
I put the meatballs in a crockpot or slow cooker with sauce and turn on low until I’m ready to assemble them. This adds extra flavor to the meatballs, and makes dinnertime a snap.
Making several batches of meatballs ahead of time and freezing them is my favorite Sunday activity. We’ll serve some in this Spaghettio’s and Meatballs recipe, and also dish them out using this Cocktail Meatball recipe.
Ready to start?
How to Make Meatball Subs
Start by cooking your meatballs. This can be done in the morning, or do it days/weeks in advance and freeze them until ready to use.
For the meatballs, you can use ground beef or ground turkey. I usually opt for the ground turkey, but either is delicious in this basic recipe.
In a large bowl, mix the ground turkey with egg, bread crumbs, garlic, salt and pepper, and milk. Use your hands!
Shape meat into bite size balls (smaller than a golf ball).
Heat a large skillet with 1 Tbsp oil. Cook in single layer, turning frequently until completely cooked.
For an easier clean up, place a sheet of foil on a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place meatballs onto baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes (no need to flip).
Remove from oven and use immediately in crockpot, or freeze for later use.
For the meatball sub recipe, place meatballs in slow cooker. Top with tomato sauce, garlic salt, and italian seasoning. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
When ready to serve, turn oven to broil. Place about 4-5 meatballs on each sub roll, with sauce. Add parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.
PRO TIP: Adding provolone cheese slices to the bun BEFORE adding meatballs gives these hoagies an extra cheesy flavor!
Bake until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. ENJOY.
Quick Steps for making Meatball Subs
- Make Meatballs. Either use freshly made or already prepared, frozen meatballs.
- Add sauce. Simmer all day in crockpot or on stove top in 15 minutes.
- Prepare the bun. Choose a hoagie roll, or french roll, slice in half and add meatballs, sauce, and cheese.
- Broil. 5 minutes is all you need to toast your meatball subs.
- Eat. Dig in to this easy, versatile dinner!
Can you freeze Meatballs
Absolutely. You can freeze them cooked or raw.
For raw meatballs, place on a foil lined baking sheet. Flash freeze for 30 minutes. Remove from sheet and slide into a ziploc freezer bag.
Use in your favorite meatball recipe within 3 months.
For cooked meatballs, allow to cool completely after cooking. Place in ziploc freezer bag.
You can add your frozen meatballs to the crockpot for today’s meatball sub recipe. No need to thaw first!
PRO TIP: Meatball Subs are great for a crowd. You can easily double or triple the batch of meatballs. Line up your hoagies on a cookie sheet, fill, and broil. Serve and enjoy!
What to serve with Meatball Subs
Looking for the perfect side dish for your meatball subs?
This simple Italian Salad with homemade Italian Dressing is our favorite weeknight side dish. It’s the perfect green salad.
Treat your dinner guests or potluck friends and family to an Easy Taffy Apple Salad recipe. Made with apples, pineapple, whipped cream, peanuts & more.
Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole (or Funeral Potatoes). It doesn’t get better than these!
Ritz Cracker Mac and Cheese is made with two kinds of cheese and is topped with buttery Ritz crackers for a creamy, rich side or main dish that the whole family will love.
More meatball recipes
- Meatball Parmesan Casserole
- Swedish Meatballs
- Cheesy Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Zucchini Meatballs (vegetarian recipe)
- Buffalo Meatballs with Blue Cheese Dressing
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #shugarysweets so I can see all the wonderful SHUGARY SWEETS recipes YOU make!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Easy, Italian Meatball Sub recipe made from homemade meatballs, delicious marinara sauce, served toasted with extra cheese! The perfect weeknight dinner.
For the meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey (or ground beef)
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup plain bread crumbs
- garlic salt
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp milk
For the sauce
- 2 cans (15oz) tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
For the subs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 6 Hoagie buns
- Mix ground turkey (or beef) with egg, bread crumbs, garlic, salt, pepper and milk in large bowl. Shape into small bite size balls. Cook in hot skillet, turning, until completely cooked. At this point you can let them cool, and freeze them. Or, use them immediately.
- Put your meatballs in a crockpot set on low with the tomato sauce, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning. Cook for 4-6 hours.
- When ready to serve, set oven to broil. Place about 5 meatballs on each hoagie, with sauce, parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Broil until cheese turns golden brown, about 5 minutes. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 777Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 155mgSodium: 2583mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 7gSugar: 11gProtein: 47g
Recipe originally published April 2011, photos updated, April 2019