Meatballs aren’t just for spaghetti! Fire up your Instant Pot and make a platter of juicy Meatball Sliders for dinner. These hot sandwiches make a perfect appetizer too!
Why this Recipe is Best
Frozen meatballs make a convenient meal starter, tossed with sauce and served with pasta, but they’re not always the most exciting or flavorful. The good news is that adding pizzazz to a plain meatball is super easy!
With this recipe, you pressure cook the frozen meatballs with marinara sauce to fill them with classic Italian flavors while making them extra moist and juicy. Toss them with grated Mozzarella cheese and pile them onto slider buns brushed with garlic and you have a flavorful party food, appetizer or meal in no time.
Instant Pot Meatball Sliders are a kid friendly meal that adults love too!
- Frozen Meatballs – Any brand of meatballs will do. You can make this vegetarian by subbing “meatless balls” too!
- Slider buns – Any bun will do but I especially love the sweet Hawaiian rolls for making sliders. .
To make the meatballs, place them in the Instant Pot with marinara sauce and water. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes, vent, then add the mozzarella cheese, stirring until it’s melted.
Assemble the sliders by placing meatballs on the sliced buns. Add a little grated Parmesan on the sandwich and brush the tops of the buns with a mixture of melted butter, garlic and parsley.
Tips & Tricks
- Keeping the meatballs warm: You can leave the meatballs in your Instant Pot on the keep warm setting for up to an hour to keep them piping hot!
- Grate your own cheese: If possible, I like to buy cheese in blocks and grate it myself to add to recipes. It melts more quickly and tastes fresher this way!
- Stove Top: Add the meatballs and marinara to a dutch oven. Cover and simmer on low, stirring occasionally. When ready to serve, follow directions for garlic butt on buns and add cheese.
- Spicy meatballs: For a spicy meatball slider, add crushed red pepper flakes to taste to the meatballs and sauce after you add the mozzarella.
Meatball Sliders are huge hit at parties! Keep the meatballs warm in the Instant Pot and serve the rolls on the side so everyone can assemble their own sliders. (Go ahead and skip the butter topping if you do this–the sliders will still be tasty!)
These definitely work as a main course as well. Serve a plate of sliders with an Italian Salad to round out the meal.
You can also use Hamburger buns or sub rolls to turn these meatballs into dinner-sized sandwiches! If you’re making a big sandwich, use 3 or 4 meatballs per roll.
I often like to warm the rolls slightly before making the sliders but it’s not necessary. They’ll taste great either way.
Craving pasta? Serve with spaghetti noodles or go ahead and just make Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs.
Absolutely! This is a great method for reheating the meatballs you stashed away in the freezer.
Yes, feel free to substitute other cheese you like on your meatballs. Provolone and pepperjack would be delicious choices.
Keep any leftover meatballs in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove at a low heat and serve warm.
More Instant Pot Recipes
With an Instant Pot and a few ingredients, you’ll turn an ordinary bag of frozen meatballs into an exciting appetizer, dinner sandwich or party food! Meatball Sliders are as easy to make as they are fun to eat!