Cream Cheese Frosted Banana Nut Scones

by aimee @ shugarysweets on May 16, 2014

These Banana Nut Scones are so easy to make. I frosted them with a smooth Cream Cheese frosting that is to die for!

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

Frosted Banana Nut Scones: paired with a hot cup of coffee, these are a perfect breakfast!

I went on a banana baking spree a few weeks back. These Banana Nut Scones were one of the delicious results of that crazy day!

First, let me say, I love baking banana recipes. I love how my house smells amazing all day!

Second, I apologize for the insane amount of frosting on these scones. Okay, I don’t really apologize. I’m not sorry at all.

I love scones. Not as much as I love biscotti, but scones definitely have their place among the breakfast pastry choices. However, they get a bad rap. Some people complain that scones are dry and/or not sweet enough.

I listened.

Most of my scones recipes have a glaze.  It adds a touch of sweetness and helps lock in some moisture to the scones. I planned on making a light glaze for today’s scones. But then I went crazy. And the frosting lover in me pulled out the KitchenAid mixer and there was no turning back.

Guess what? These weren’t dry. They definitely were not “not sweet”. And they 100% were delicious.

I asked on instagram if it was okay that I frosted my scones. Since nobody disagreed, I figured it was safe to share them here! (By the way, do you follow me on instagram yet??)

I’m not a trained chef. I don’t always know what I’m doing in the kitchen. I have more recipe failures than I care to admit. But when something just tastes amazing, I don’t care if it’s acceptable, haha! And piles of frosting on scones is going to be the new trend (or is it already a trend, I have no idea)!

Anyways, if you’re looking for a breakfast idea to really WOW your family, friends, coworkers…these are it! I made my scones large, but you can divide your dough in half and make two smaller circles. Up to you!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Cream Cheese Frosted Banana Nut Scones

Yield: 8-10 scones

For the scones:
  • 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 large bananas (about 1 cup mashed)
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • For the frosting:
  • 4 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 5 Tbsp heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add in butter using the beater blade of an electric mixer until it resembles coarse crumbs.
  2. Add egg, bananas, and buttermilk. Combine completely. Fold in chopped walnuts.
  3. On a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat, drop dough. Using floured hands (or sprinkling a little extra flour on the top of the dough) pat into a large 10inch circle.
  4. Using a large knife or pizza cutter, slice dough into 8-10 large triangles. Separate slightly.
  5. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and make sure scones are completely separated. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
  6. For the frosting, beat cream cheese with powdered sugar and heavy cream. Beat for 3-5 minutes until desired consistency. Spread over scones and immediately sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Serve and enjoy.
  7. Store in airtight container for up to three days in refrigerator.

LOVE Banana recipes?

coconut-banana-bread-4

Coconut Banana Bread. Sweet bread with coconut and macadamia nuts!

chocolate-banana-muffins-3

Chocolate Banana muffins. Super moist and delicious, perfect for freezing too!

Banana Snack Cakes- easy and delicious dessert that makes a large pan! The frosting alone is to die for! #banana #dessert www.shugarysweets.com

Banana Snack Cakes. A great breakfast or dessert!

Robin @ Simply Southern Baking May 16, 2014 at 7:55 am

Saw these in my Bloglovin’ feed this morning and started drooling. Wish I had one with a cup of coffee right now!
Robin @ Simply Southern Baking recently posted..Fun Times & Pie Tips at the Great American Pie FestivalMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 19, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I’m so glad to hear people click over from Bloglovin :) Thanks for following Robin :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Funfetti Shortbread Cookie SandwichesMy Profile

Mir May 16, 2014 at 9:50 am

A non-dry scone, covered in frosting? Be still my beating heart. This looks phenomenal!
Mir recently posted..Nutella Cookie Dough TrufflesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 19, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Awww thank you :)

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet May 16, 2014 at 11:26 am

I don’t care if frosting on them is not acceptable, if they look like this I want them all!!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Father’s Day Tastebuds Popcorn + a giveawayMy Profile

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) May 16, 2014 at 11:43 am

Girrrrrl that frosting is the best part! Don’t apologize for too much awesome!

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 16, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Oh I bet these were so good! Bananas, the cream cheese, mmm, I can almost taste them now! pinned

aimee @ shugarysweets May 17, 2014 at 11:05 am

Thanks girl :)

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet May 16, 2014 at 1:28 pm

I think these need to happen this weekend! They look fantastic! Pinned!
Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet recently posted..Friday Things and LinksMy Profile

Chloe @ foodlikecake May 16, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Those scones look amazing! I’m loving the frosting :-D

tahnycooks May 16, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I would love to take a LARGE one of these babies with a load of frosting right now!
tahnycooks recently posted..Creme Brûlée Filled Croissant DonutsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 17, 2014 at 11:00 am

Please enjoy!!

Kayla May 16, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Oh my, this looks soo good! I think the frosting is my favorite part- it always is.
Kayla recently posted..Magnetic Chore ChartsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 17, 2014 at 10:58 am

Yeah, mine too :)

KayleneP @ The Links Site May 16, 2014 at 10:07 pm

These look really nice. I am not a banana lover and was wondering if they have a strong banana flavour? Could your substitute ripe pear or apple for the banana?
KayleneP @ The Links Site recently posted..Easter Inspired Fruit LoafMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 17, 2014 at 10:58 am

Yes they do have a banana taste, I’m not sure if you could do apple or pear, let me know if you try it!

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain May 17, 2014 at 9:17 pm

DON’T YOU EVER APOLOGIZE FOR FROSTING THESE SCONES!! lol that frosting (and the scones) looks splendid and I mean pretty much everything can be made better with frosting. ;)
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Cookie Butter Stuffed SnickerdoodlesMy Profile

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction May 19, 2014 at 10:42 am

No need to apologize for the frosting. . .these scones look incredible! Love this flavor combination!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction recently posted..Wacky Cake with No Fail Fudge FrostingMy Profile

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life May 19, 2014 at 10:57 am

I say bring on the frosting!!! And the bigger the scone, the better!!! I am loving the banana and frosting action you have going on in these!!! Definitely do not apologize for that goodness!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Chocolate Mocha Chip Banana BreadMy Profile

marcie May 19, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I LOVE banana baked goods, and these scones look amazing with that luscious frosting!
marcie recently posted..No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy BarsMy Profile

dina June 13, 2014 at 10:11 pm

it looks yummy!
dina recently posted..Weekend Whets 6/13My Profile

Kristina July 6, 2014 at 12:12 pm

The only ingredient I don’t have is buttermilk. Is there something I can substitute for that? I really want to make these!

Melonie September 24, 2014 at 5:29 pm

These aren’t scones more like banana bread….and VERY sweet…..even without the frosting. I would also recommend adding some vanilla, and cinnamon or nutmeg.