Bakery Style Blueberry Lemon Scones Recipe
Light and fluffy, these big bakery style Blueberry Lemon Scones recipe are the perfect breakfast idea! Topped with a sweet lemon glaze, you won’t be able to resist them!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest!
Having a sweet breakfast pastry with my morning cup of coffee is LITERALLY one of my favorite parts of the day. I don’t have a pastry EVERY day…but this time of year I seem to have an abundance of scones, muffins, and sweet breads stocked up in my freezer!
If you follow me on instagram, you may have noticed we purchased a cottage on a lake this weekend. I’m so excited to sit outside with my morning coffee and blueberry lemon scone and watch the sunrise over the lake. I’m not sure how life could be better? (especially with my family at my side)
So, have you made scones yet? They really are quite easy, and they taste amazing when paired with a hot cup of tea or coffee. Although my kids prefer with hot cocoa or a cold glass of milk. Today’s recipe came about because we had a friend give us a huge bag of fresh Michigan blueberries this summer. SO GOOD.
How to make Scones:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients with the lemon zest. Add in COLD butter and mix until crumbly. Slowly add in the egg and heavy whipping cream.
- The mixture might still be crumbly, it’s okay.
- Add the blueberries and combine gently, it’s okay if some burst open.
- Remove the dough and drop it onto the parchment paper baking sheet. Using your hands, press dough into a large circle, about 1 inch thick. Cut into 8 triangles and gently separate them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle or spread over the tops, depending on your desired consistency.
FAQ about Scones:
- Q: Can I use frozen blueberries instead of fresh?
A: Absolutely. I would just put them in a bowl with a little bit of flour to coat them (this will offset the extra moisture they provide).
- Q: Can I freeze blueberry lemon scones?
A: Yes! I freeze them by sliding them into a ziploc freezer bag. They do slightly soften once frozen, but still taste amazing. To thaw, place on room temperature counter overnight (in ziploc bag).
- Q: Can I make scones without the glaze?
A: Definitely! If you prefer without frosting, you can brush the tops with a little heavy whipping cream before baking, and sprinkle them with a coarse, turbinado sugar. Bake as directed and enjoy.
- Q: How long do scones last?
A: That varies. In my house, one day, haha. But seriously, if kept in an airtight container, these blueberry lemon scones will stay fresh about 3 days. They really are best the first 24 hours.
If you LOVE Blueberry Lemon Scones, here are some of my favorite breakfast pastry recipes:
- No trip to a fancy bakery needed to enjoy these Lemon Scones. Simple ingredients, a little love, and you’ll have a batch of these freezer friendly scones in no time!
- Adding blueberries to Banana bread is just a good idea. One slice of this Blueberry Banana Bread and you’ll totally understand. I enjoyed my slice of bread with a hot cup of coffee!
- Bake (yes bake!) up a batch of these Pumpkin Streusel Donuts today! All the delicious flavors of fall in one breakfast treat!
- This easy Chocolate Braid recipe from Living Locurto is warm gooey chocolate baked inside of a tasty crescent puff pastry.
- This Easy Raspberry Nutella Danish from Crazy for Crust is a danish that mixes two favorite things: Nutella and raspberries!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Blueberry Lemon Scones recipe:
Blueberry Lemon Scones
Yield: 8 large scones
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
Total Time:40 minutes
For the scones:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 TBSP lemon zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed, COLD
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
For the glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt with the lemon zest. Add in COLD butter and mix until crumbly. Slowly add in the egg and heavy whipping cream.
- The mixture might still be crumbly, it's okay.
- Add the blueberries and combine gently, it's okay if some burst open.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and drop it onto the parchment paper baking sheet. Using your hands, press dough into a large circle, about 1 inch thick. Cut into 8 triangles and gently separate them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, cream, and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle or spread over the tops, depending on your desired consistency.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #ShugarySweets so I can see what you're cooking up in the kitchen!
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**