Banana Cake with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 medium bananas
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup butter
- 3 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- Grease and flour two 9inch cake pans. I line the bottom with parchment paper as well. Set aside.
- For the cake, blend butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg and vanilla, beat until combined. Blend in bananas (you can mash them first, but I just toss them in my kitchenaid and it does the work for me). Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Divide batter in half and pour into cake pans. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove and cool. Let cake cool in pans 10 minutes, then flip onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat butter until fluffy. Add in powdered sugar and cinnamon. Add milk.
- Beat for 5 minutes until desired consistency.
- To frost cake. Lay one layer of cake on cake plate. Spoon frosting over layer and smooth.
- Top with second layer of cake. Again spoon frosting on top and smooth. Using a spatula, spread frosting around the sides of the cake. Slice and serve!
- If you want to have your cakes flat, you could slice off the tops. However, I used Wilton Bake even Cake Strips. You wrap them around your pans and your cakes bake even! Go figure!
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**