Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
This Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole recipe is true comfort food. Made with frozen hashbrowns and plenty of cheese, I can guarantee your family is going to enjoy this one!
Be sure to sign up for my free email subscription…new recipes in your inbox
It’s practically Thanksgiving week here on my blog. Monday I shared my family recipe for Classic Stuffing filled with celery, apples and mushrooms! And today is the recipe for mom’s Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole.
I’m curious what you all eat for the holidays? Typically our meal is a carb overload. Of course we have the turkey…but then you have mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, and hashbrowns. Oh and a basket of dinner rolls is a must too!
This Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole has been making appearances at family functions since I was young. You know, back when Corn Flakes cereal was like one of only 20 cereal choices. And as children, we liked Corn Flakes! I have to be honest, my kids don’t care for Corn Flakes (they much prefer frosted flakes). The only time we have a box of Corn Flakes in our pantry is when I know this hashbrown casserole is going to be on the menu!
My mom’s recipe uses shredded cheddar cheese. You know, the orange stuff in the bag (which we all love of course). However, if you’re looking to take this to the next level of deliciousness, try using Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar. It gives this dish such an intense, tangy flavor you can’t resist. And, it melts so creamy mixed up with the rest of the ingredients!
It’s such a great addition to any meal as it can be prepared ahead of time. All you need to do is pop it in the oven when it’s time to cook the meal. I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does!
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
Yield: serves 10-12
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 65-70 minutes
- 2 lb frozen hashbrowns (cubed)
- 16 oz sour cream
- 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I use Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar)
- 1 can (10 1/2 oz ) cream of chicken soup
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp minced onion
- 3/4 cup melted butter,divided
- 2 cup corn flakes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine frozen hashbrowns, sour cream, cheese, soup, salt, pepper, onion and 1/2 cup of the melted butter. Mix until thoroughly combined. Pour into a 13x9 baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup melted butter with crushed corn flakes. Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for about 60 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5-10 minutes to add some crunch to the topping. Serve and enjoy!
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #ShugarySweets so I can see what you're cooking up in the kitchen!
Here are a few of my favorite side dishes:
Jill’s Cheating Potatoes: aka loaded mashed potatoes!
Roasted Sweet Potato Fries with a sweet cinnamon dip!
Copycat Panera Macaroni and Cheese: an easy, stovetop side dish that even adults love!
If you love today’s side dish recipe, I hope you look at some of these dishes from my friends:
- Simple Herb Oven Roasted Potatoes from Spend with Pennies
- Bacon Broccoli Mac and Cheese from Peas and Crayons
- Loaded Smashed Potato Bites from Food Fanatic
- Easy Rice Pilaf from High Heels and Grills
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**