This spiced Applesauce Cake is moist, sweet and easy to make. The cream cheese frosting on top makes it even better!
Why this Cake is Best
This is the kind of cake that’s appropriate for any season, soo. The spices and apple elements are perfect in the fall and the holidays, but it’s just as welcome in my kitchen in July as it is in December!
- Deliciously simple. This is not a flashy dessert with all the bells and whistles. There’s something so cozy about a simple slice of cake with the perfect amount of frosting.
- Easy preparation. All you do is mix the ingredients, pour in a pan and bake. No fuss or stress of leveling cakes!
- Lightly spiced. You’ll love the comforting blend of warming spices and brown sugar in this cake.
- Cream cheese frosting. We couldn’t resist adding a bit of extra richness with a classic cream cheese frosting!
After making this delicious caramel apple bundt cake, I thought I’d turn it into something easier…and delicious.
Using that cake as a base, today’s applesauce cake is light and moist, and flavored with apples and spices!
Unsweetened applesauce – Applesauce keeps the cake moist while adding a light apple flavor. You can use my homemade applesauce (it’s only got 2 Tablespoons of sugar for the whole batch)…although it’s important to note you’ll need to make a double batch for today’s cake (and you can even make it unsweetened).
Vegetable oil – We use oil for the cake instead of butter to give the cake even more moisture.
Cinnamon – This is the prominent spice in this cake. It’s accompanied by nutmeg, ginger and cloves for a perfect aromatic flavor.
Cream Cheese – It gives the frosting a tanginess that complements the sweetness of the cake and brings out the slight tartness of the applesauce.
For the cake batter:
Mix together the wet ingredients for the cake. Then stir in the dry ingredients until just combined. The batter may be lumpy; that’s okay.
Pour the applesauce cake batter into a baking dish. Bake until the edges are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let the cake cool before frosting.
For the frosting:
Beat cream cheese with butter until fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
Spread the frosting over the top of the cooled cake.
Tips and Tricks
- Chill before serving. Cover the cake with foil or plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator until ready to serve. The flavor is best when it’s cold!
- Use baking spray. Spray the baking dish with baking spray or use my homemade cake release before adding the batter.
- Do not over mix. Beating the cake batter for too long after adding the flour will make the finished cake dense and tough.
- Skip the frosting. Not a fan? Dust the top with powdered sugar instead. Or serve with homemade whipped cream.
Yes, you can use sweetened applesauce! Our homemade applesauce would be delicious in this cake. If you do use sweetened, I suggest reducing the granulated sugar in the cake to 1/4 cup. Or leave all the sugar in and enjoy an extra sweet cake!
Stored in the fridge, applesauce cake keeps well for 3 -5 days.
The applesauce cake itself is vegan but the frosting is not due to the dairy. For a vegan applesauce cake, simply serve this without the frosting or replace with your favorite dairy free version.
More Easy Cake Recipes
Spiced with warming cinnamon and brown sugar, easy Applesauce Cake is a cozy dessert for any season!