Peanut Butter Cake
I wanted a light, moist cake with the right amount of peanut butter flavor.
As you probably know, peanut butter tends to put a weight on baked goods and there’s a thin line between a light moist and a heavy dense dry cake.
But no worries, this cake is everything you want in a peanut butter cake. It’s light, moist with a small crumb and here and there you get bits of chopped peanut butter cups.
The peanut butter frosting is literally the icing on the cake. It’s creamy, silky and addictive! I highly recommend using heavy cream instead of milk for the best frosting ever!
For the Cake:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peanut butter cups mixed with 1 tbsp flour (the candy tends to sink at the bottom if you don't mix it with a little bit of flour)
For the Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup heavy cream (depending on your peanut butter thickness)
- Peanut Butter Cups
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease one 9" cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter, peanut butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. At low-speed, add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Add the chopped peanut butter cups to the batter. With a spatula mix until combined.
- Spoon batter in the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake cake 33-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool cake 5 minutes. Turn out onto rack, peel off parchment. Cool cake completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, in a mixing bowl add the butter, peanut butter and 1/3 cup heavy cream. Stir at low-speed until combined. Slowly add the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. When all the sugar is added increase the speed and mix for 2 more minutes. If needed, slowly add few more drops of heavy cream.
- Frost the cake completely. Decorate with peanut butter cups.
- Keep cake covered. Serve at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 6603 Total Fat: 395g Saturated Fat: 156g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 199g Cholesterol: 834mg Sodium: 4621mg Carbohydrates: 695g Fiber: 29g Sugar: 489g Protein: 128g
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**