A delicious Banana Cake with Nutella Frosting. Sweet, moist banana cake with a nutty, creamy frosting. Doesn’t get much better than this!
Nutella is one of those food items that you either love or hate. In my family, we can’t seem to get enough of it.
My oldest daughter is what you might call a Nutella addict. (she is also a Biscoff addict, fruit snack addict, and swim addict).
She even included Nutella on her Christmas list. It’s not like we don’t keep any in the house and I deprive her of it. On the contrary. At any given time there is usually one jar opened with a jar or two waiting in the wings.
But see, that wasn’t enough for her. Because she wanted her own jar, that she can double dip her spoon into, and keep in her room (I also feel it my duty to mention she is a teenage slob).
Of course, last week when it came time to make this cake, there was ZERO Nutella in the house. As in, I found three jars in the pantry…but they were all empty. I knew I looked and saw them in there, so I just assumed at least one of those jars was unopened.
But no. All empty. I also found a jar of Biscoff (empty) a jar of peanut butter (empty) and a jar of Jif salted caramel (also empty). Clearly, I’m a slob too who never cleans out the pantry!
I made the cake layers and had to stick them in the freezer. Until I could get to the grocery store to buy more Nutella. As I have recommended in the past, I use these bake even strips to create even, flat layers of cake that don’t need any trimming!
Have you ever frozen cake before? It’s so easy and it’s a perfect way to plan ahead! I let them cool then wrapped them in plastic wrap. Then wrapped them in a layer of foil. It worked great.
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
More Dessert Recipes:
- Lemon Cheesecake
- Banana Cake Recipe
- Divinity Candy
- Sour Cream Banana Bread
- Zucchini Bread
- More Cake Recipes
Delicious, from scratch Banana Cake recipe with Nutella Frosting
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 medium bananas
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
For the frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- For the cake, grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add in egg, vanilla, and bananas (you can mash them first, but I toss them in and it does the work). Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Beat for a couple minutes until fully blended.
- Pour batter evenly between the two cake pans. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in pans for about 10 minutes. Flip onto a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, beat butter for two minutes. Add in nutella, powdered sugar and milk. Beat an additional 3-5 minutes. scraping down the sides of the bowl periodically.
- To assemble the cake, lay one layer of cooled cake on a cake plate. Spoon frosting over middle layer generously. Top with second layer of cake. Spoon and spread frosting over cake to create a thin crumb layer. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes. Using a spatula, continue frosting the cake with the remaining frosting. If desired, reserve some frosting and place in a pastry bag with tip to decorate. ENJOY.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 473Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 198mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 2gSugar: 50gProtein: 3g
Need more banana recipes for those over ripe Bananas on your counter?
Banana Nutella Bread: clearly I love this combo!
Banana Split Cheesecake: this is seriously good stuff, and it’s no bake too!
Banana Muffins with Cinnamon Glaze: a delicious start to your day!
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**