The Best Strawberry Almond Cake Recipe
This is The Best Strawberry Almond Cake recipe with a moist almond layer cake with strawberry buttercream, sliced almonds and fresh strawberries!
Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest
But what about strawberries? Soon here in the midwest our gardens will be overflowing with this juicy, flavorful fruit.
Unfortunately though, I’ve always struggled adding fresh berries to frosting. It makes the frosting really soft and watery.
Today, I’ve got the answer to delicious strawberry frosting that doesn’t lose it’s texture…
Freeze Dried Strawberries. You can pop them in a food processor or ziploc bag to make crumbs. And, the only ingredient in them is STRAWBERRIES. No extra junk, and all the flavor you crave.
Know what goes great with strawberries? Almonds.
Fisher Nuts Sliced Almonds are fresh from the package with no preservatives or GMOs.
Put the strawberries and almonds together to create this delicious Strawberry Almond Layer cake!
How to make a Strawberry Almond Layer Cake
Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper circles.
PRO TIP: Use bake even strips to keep cakes level with no waste! Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 defrees F.
For the cake. In a small bowl, whisk egg whites with 1/4 cup of the buttermilk. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine cake flour with baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat softened butter with granulated sugar for several minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in almond extract.
Add the dry ingredients slowly, until combined. Slowly add in the egg mixture, beating until well blended. Finally, beat in the remaining buttermilk.
Pour batter evenly between the prepared cake pans. Bake for 25-28 minutes, until lightly browned and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and cool in pans 5 minutes. Then invert onto a parchment paper lined wire rack (the parchment keeps the cake from sticking). Cool completely.
For the frosting, beat room temperature butter with powdered sugar, milk, and almond extract. Beat for about 4 minutes until fluffy.
Remove one cup of the white frosting and set aside.
To the remaining frosting, add in the crushed freeze dried strawberries until blended.
To assemble the cake, lay one cake layer on cake plate. Spread WHITE frosting over the top of this layer. Add the fresh, diced strawberries and 1/4 cup of the Fisher Nuts Sliced Almonds.
Top with second layer of cake. Using an offset spatula, spread the remaining strawberry frosting over the sides and top. Feel free to use a piping tip to add swirls, if desired.
Once all the frosting has been applied, use your hands to press the remaining sliced almonds onto the side of the cake. To give it a beautiful finish, I only added almonds to the bottom third.
If desired, add one fresh strawberry on top!
Keep cake covered until ready to sever. Can be refrigerated. ENJOY.
Can this Strawberry Almond Cake be made ahead of time?
Typically when I make cake, I bake the layers one day, then the next day I whip up the frosting and assemble.
Sometimes I even assemble the day before.
Today’s strawberry layer cake can be made the day before. The only caveat is you may have some of the fresh strawberry “juices” leak into your white frosting and cake. If that doesn’t bother you, then go ahead and make this a day in advance.
Can this Cake be frozen?
Yes! Sometimes you can’t help but have leftover cake after a holiday or party.
If that’s the case, I slice the cake into large chunks, wrap them in plastic wrap, then slide them into a freezer safe ziploc container. These cake slices are best within one month.
More Fisher Nuts recipes
I’ve been a partner with Fisher Nuts for 6 years. During that time I have made everything from snack mixes, to cheesecake bars, to brownies.
At any given time you can open my pantry and find numerous varieties of Fisher Nuts. I love the pop up bag that has a zip closure, it’s perfect for snacking!
The layers on these Pecan Pie Cheesecake Bars are incredible! One tasty bite and you’ll fall in love!
A delicious, heart healthy meal that not only is beautiful but tastes amazing. Oh, did I mention this Almond Pesto Salmon is also super easy to make?
This Carrot Bundt Cake with a cheesecake filling and cream cheese frosting might be the best dessert ever! Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Chewy and nutty, these protein packed Peanut Butter Quinoa Protein Bars are the perfect post workout snack or breakfast on the go! Packed with flavor, and heart healthy almonds, you’ll feel great choosing this as a snack or meal!
Sweet and salty, this Maple Brown Sugar Pecans recipe is a great treat to have on hand during the holidays! Make a batch today, for snacking or sprinkling on salads!
***This post is sponsored by Fisher Nuts. I am excited to be a partner in creating delicious recipes, all opinions are 100% my own***
Connect with Shugary Sweets!
Don’t miss a single recipe!
If you LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me #shugarysweets so I can see it!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
This gorgeous, from scratch, Strawberry Almond Cake recipe features a moist almond layer cake with strawberry buttercream. Fresh sliced almonds and strawberries to added flavor and texture!
For the cake layers:
- 5 egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp almond extract
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
For the Frosting and filling:
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 oz package freeze dried strawberries, crushed to a fine crumb
- 1 1/2 cup Fisher Nuts sliced almonds, divided
- Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper circles. Use Wilton bake even strips to keep cakes level with no waste! Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg whites with 1/4 cup of the buttermilk. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cake flour with baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with granulated sugar, for 2-3 minutes until creamy (scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Beat in almond extract.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly until combined. Slowly add in the egg mixture, beating until well blended.
- Finally, beat in the remaining buttermilk.
- Pour batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake for 25-28 minutes until lightly browned and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in pans 5 minutes. Then invert onto a parchment paper lined wire rack (to keep cake from sticking). Cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat butter with powdered sugar, milk, and almond extract. Beat for about 4 minutes until fluffy. Remove about 1 cup of the white frosting and set aside.
- To the remaining frosting, add in the crushed freeze dried strawberries until blended.
- To assemble. Lay one cake layer on cake plate. Spread WHITE almond frosting over the top only. Add the fresh, diced strawberries and 1/4 cup of the sliced almonds.
- Top with the second layer of cake. Using an offset spatula, spread the remaining strawberry frosting over the sides and top (feel free to use a piping tip to add swirls if desired).
- Once all the frosting has been applied, use your hands to press the remaining sliced almonds into the side of the cake. To give it a beautiful finish, I only added almonds to the bottom third. If desired, add one fresh strawberry to the top!
- Keep cake covered until ready to serve. Can be refrigerated if desired. ENJOY.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 654 Total Fat: 36g Saturated Fat: 18g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 69mg Sodium: 243mg Carbohydrates: 79g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 58g Protein: 7g
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**