This soft and chewy Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies recipe is my new favorite, go-to cookie treat. You’ll love how easy it is to make, everyone else will love how amazing they taste! And the secret ingredients makes these chocolate chip cookies soft for days!
Love chewy cookies? Try our favorite Lemon Oreo Cookies packed with lemon pudding mix, crushed lemon oreos and white chocolate chips! Or give our chocolate chunk cookies a try for a tasty chocolate treat.
Why this Recipe Works
I must confess something. I didn’t think I would like these Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies when I first came tried them.
My kids were asking for chocolate chip cookies, and I felt like experimenting with a new recipe.
But I took a chance with this pudding cookie recipe and it turned out very good!
- They are soft and moist with a hint of vanilla.
- Stay moist for DAYS.
- Perfect for dunking or eating warm out of the oven!
Give our pistachio pudding cookies a try next. Colorful and delicious, and loaded with white chocolate chips!
The Secret Ingredients
The basic chocolate chip cookie ingredients to start with…in addition to a few key ingredients are all you need for today’s cookie recipe.
Vanilla Pudding Mix. Be sure to buy the INSTANT pudding mix, not the cook & serve.
The secret ingredient to these cookies is the vanilla bean paste.
Vanilla bean paste is thicker than vanilla extract and gives these cookies a rich vanilla flavor. It also has tiny specks of vanilla bean, which adds to the cookie’s flavor and look.
If you can’t find the vanilla bean paste (<—on Amazon!), you can use fresh vanilla beans or vanilla extract as a last resort.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure you cream the butter and sugars well, removing any air pockets. This ensures even baking!
- Use instant pudding mix, not the cook and serve pudding.
- Slightly under-bake the cookies as they will continue to cook as they cool.
- Add extra chocolate chips to the tops of the cookies before baking for an extra chocolate flavor.
- Add a pinch of coarse sea salt to the tops of the cookies if you love a sweet and salty chocolate flavor!
- Freeze Cookies. Use my tips on how to freeze cookie dough for later.
Cookies are one of those recipes where you can use substitutions to personalize the cookie and give the flavor a spin! Try these different substitutions to make these pudding cookies your own!
- Instant pudding flavor: This recipe calls for vanilla pudding flavor but you can switch that out for another flavor. Butterscotch, white chocolate, or chocolate pudding would all give these cookies a unique and yummy twist!
- Mix ins: Instead of using semi-sweet chocolate chips, you could try peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, or butterscotch chips, whichever you enjoy the most!
- Extracts: Swap out the vanilla and use lemon pudding mix, with lemon extract and white chocolate chips. So fresh and delicious!
You can also add pudding mix to your favorite Rice Krispie Treats recipe for a fun twist!
How to Store Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
These cookies stay fresh and moist for about a week in an airtight container at room temperature.
I like to make a big batch and freeze half of the pudding cookie dough to bake at a later time.
You can also freeze the cooked and cooled cookies. Just slide them into a ziploc freezer bag or airtight container. Thaw at room temperature overnight and enjoy!
More Pudding Mix Recipes
Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies stay soft and chewy with this easy recipe!