Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers

Dinner in your slow cooker never looked so good! Try making this Sausage and Peppers recipe tonight. You can serve it on rice or a french roll, either way is delicious!

Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers: delicious, hearty meal made in your #crockpot #dinner

Here’s the thing. I’m a busy person. I am a wife. I am a mom for 4 crazy busy kids. I am a food blogger. Of course, those who don’t know much about being a food blogger might think that last one is silly. But seriously, I know some of you “get it.”

Let’s start with being a wife. Okay fine, that part isn’t busy. My sweet husband is quite helpful and doesn’t “expect” anything from me. If he comes home and the house is dirty, laundry is piled up and the dishes are overflowing in the sink (oh, those dishes never seem to stop)…he doesn’t complain! Probably because he knows the cookie jar is full. As is the cake platter and every other serving dish in the house!

Being a mom. Without whining and throwing a tantrum, I’ll just say I embrace that each of my children have chosen different avenues in which to showcase their abilities. While sometimes it might be easier to have them all play soccer, for instance…they don’t do what the other does. (did that make sense???)

My youngest daughter was a soccer player. But has given up that career (hey at 8 yrs old you have to decide what sport to play for the rest of your school age career. ridiculous.) to learn how to play tennis. Our middle daughter has joined a higher level softball team this year, and is also taking additional pitching lessons. (any softball parents out there??? you know.) Our oldest daughter, I believe I have whined shared quite a few times on instagram how I sit on the pool deck. For hours. She is a competitive swimmer and swims 6 days a week. Pretty much consuming every morsel of food in the house (swimming parents? hello?? you know too.) And our son, our oldest, is a guitar player in the church band. He is also getting close to getting his driver’s license (and I’m close to freaking out about it)!

So. Just family stuff keeps me pretty busy every. single. day. I remember when my kids were young, and I thought about how busy I was having 4 kids under the age of 7. I was exhausted most days. These days? It’s a whole different kind of exhaustion. And I love it. But, no matter how tired I am, dinner is a must in our house. We try to sit down as a family every. single. night. Yep, old school in that way. Most nights one child might be missing from the meal, but the ritual of dinner happens! And the only reason it can happen is because some GENIUS created the Crock Pot. My BFF. You may have noticed in my recipe tab up there, under main dishes, 90% of those dinners are made in the slow cooker. It is an honest representation of how we eat during the school year. Summers tend to be much more laid back and centered around the grill.

So, now that I’ve whined shared about my crazy life, how about we get to this meal. That’s the real reason you are here, right? For the recipe? If you want to whine about your crazy life, feel free to do so in the comments below. I don’t mind! Last month I started doing a Reader’s choice recipe. This month, you all overwhelmingly asked for Crock Pot recipes. So…here you go!!!

This Sausage and Peppers dish is a crowd pleaser in our house. We prefer to eat this on toasty french rolls with provolone cheese, but if your family is more of a rice eating group that works great too! Top it with a little shredded cheese and serve with a salad.

I use the HOT Italian sausage. It really isn’t too spicy, but then again we love spicy foods and my tolerance might be higher than most people. If you’re nervous about the spice, feel free to use mild or regular. Or half and half. Whatever. Just be sure you buy bulk, or remove the casings from your sausage before browning it up! If this recipe makes too much for your family, it freezes very well too! You can stick the leftovers in a freezer safe container or ziploc and reheat another time. I say this serves 8, but as with most servings it depends on your family!

Love these dinner recipe ideas? Find more delicious recipes by following me on Pinterest:

Dinner Ideas

Soups and Stews

Don’t miss another mouthwatering recipe from Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me:

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin’

Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers

Yield: 8

• 1 1/2 lb Hot Italian Sausage (casings removed)
  • 2 cans (14.5oz each) Diced Tomatoes
  • 1 can (14.5oz) Tomato Sauce
  • 1 can (6oz) Tomato Paste
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 2 green peppers, seeded and diced
  • french rolls
  • provolone cheese, optional

1. Brown the italian sausage in a skillet until completely cooked. Drain and add meat to your large crockpot. Add tomatoes, sauce, onion, green pepper and paste. Cover and turn on low for 6-8 hours.
  2. When ready to serve, scoop meat into a french roll with a slice of provolone cheese. If you want it toasted, heat your french roll with cheese for 5-6 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
  3. ENJOY

Want more slow cooker meal ideas? Here are some of my absolute favorites.

Balsamic Glazed Pork Tenderloins: We love this meal. In the summer when we have fresh cherry tomatoes in our garden we also make the recipe for the tomato salad! But the pork recipe itself is worth trying. Fork tender, melt in your mouth!

Balsamic Glazed Pork Tenderloin: juicy, fork tender pork tenderloin made in your slow cooker #crockpot #dinner

Slow Cooker Carnitas: This dinner feeds a crowd too, and the pork is GREAT leftover, or frozen!

Slow Cooker Carnitas from

Slow Cooker Beef Enchiladas: This beef recipe makes enough for not only these enchiladas, but also for some French Dip Sammies. Cook once, eat twice!

Slow Cooker Enchiladas from

Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce: this is my favorite way to make spaghetti sauce. And as you probably guessed, you can freeze it too! You can also add meat if you desire!

Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce from

Caramel Coffee Milkshakes: Not a dinner recipe (obviously) but this is how I make it through my day with a boost of energy!

Caramel Coffee Milkshakes from

Check out some of my favorite bloggers Slow Cooker recipes too:

Balsamic Roast Beef Recipe from Robyn at Add a Pinch

Chicken Parmesan from Trish at Mom on TimeOut

Balsamic Honey Pork over Cornbread from Laurie at Simply Scratch

78 Responses to “Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers”

1. posted Feb 25, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Sausage & Peppers!! You’re speaking my Chicago language with this one! LOVE it’s a slow cooker meal, too. :)

• posted Feb 26, 2013 at 6:39 am

Love Chicago Hot Italian Sausage! Thanks for stopping by Meghan!

2. posted Feb 25, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Yep, I hear ya on the crazy busy schedules. My oldest is only 9, yet somehow between the the three kids we are gone every night! I love, love, love all crock pot recipes! This is a keeper.

3. posted Feb 25, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Eek! I’m sooooo on the look out for slow cooker meals, so I’m thrilled you posted this. Pinned to make next week!

• posted Feb 26, 2013 at 6:42 am

Ashley, I’m always looking for new slow cooker meals too!! LOVE the convenience. Hope you enjoy :)

4. posted Feb 25, 2013 at 6:51 pm

My stomach is growling right now. Oh how I wish this was my supper. So…. kids it doesn’t get any less crazy huh? Bummer… I feel like I have been counting down the years until all of mine are in school and I have the days to clean/cook. Because right now….I’m trying to embrace it…. really I am! But man I’m tired all the time!

• posted Feb 26, 2013 at 6:45 am

Just a different kind of busy, that’s all. I always hated when people told me “enjoy it while they are little, it goes so fast.” But I totally get it now :(

5. posted Feb 25, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Looks so delicious! I wish I had this ready to go for dinner tonight!

6. posted Feb 25, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I really need to use my slow cooker more. These sandwiches look amazing!
    I only have one kid, so I am less busy than you are for sure – but one definitely has a whole different set of challenges! Being a Mom is a lot of work!

• posted Feb 26, 2013 at 6:49 am

You are that child’s solo playmate at home. Doesn’t matter how many kids, I imagine it’s busy regardless. When I only had my first then my second I thought I was exhausted. I didn’t get “more exhausted”….it just was prolonged for more years, hahah!!

7. posted Feb 25, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I can’t imagine how people with more than one kid do it. I’m crazed as it is half the time with only one! And dinner is a must for us too, so I love all your crock pot meals. This one looks amazing! TOTALLY making it!

• posted Feb 26, 2013 at 6:51 am

I’m glad you are enjoying the dinner recipes! I know they’re not “sweets” but how can I keep a recipe like this to myself??? :)

8. posted Feb 25, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I am a HUGE fan of crock pots too! I don’t know how on earth you do it with four kids. I frequently wonder why my Mom wasn’t half-crazy with five kids. Then again, she may have been :) This recipe look super delicious and easy too! Thanks for the shout out Aimee:)

• posted Feb 26, 2013 at 6:52 am

Thanks Trish. One day at a time. It won’t be long before my oldest is out of the house and I’ll be sad, so I’m trying to keep that in mind :)

9. posted Feb 25, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I love crock-pot meals like this one. Perfect for both busy and lazy days!

10. posted Feb 25, 2013 at 9:07 pm

agreed! busy life and busy everything requires meals to be in slow cookers. i love my crockpot and how much it helps me out :) this looks so good and such a great meal to have at the end of the day!

• posted Feb 26, 2013 at 6:54 am

I love smelling my dinner all day long too. I forgot to mention that :)

11. posted Feb 25, 2013 at 11:13 pm

I’m just like you. Even though my kids are just two and a half, I am old school about dinner at the table every night. I love quick, easy meals so this is perfect for busy nights!

• posted Feb 26, 2013 at 6:55 am

Keep it up through the years! i think some of these old school family values need to be passed on to this next generation!

12. posted Feb 26, 2013 at 6:56 am

Love my crockpot and have been using it more now that I am back in school, myself. This is a perfect recipe for my husband too, he loves sausage and peppers. I’ve got everything but the rolls, so you know where I am going tomorrow (dinner is already planned for today hehehe). Yum!

13. posted Feb 26, 2013 at 9:15 am

I’m slightly dreading those super busy days. I’m not sure how you manage but you give me hope that it’ll all be okay when that day comes.

• posted Feb 26, 2013 at 11:13 am

You will be just fine!! You just ease right into new transitions!

14. posted Feb 26, 2013 at 9:46 am

We are about to head into the busy season too….volleyball clinic, baseball, and soccer. I need to start using my crock pot more…really though I just let my hubby handle dinner now that he is home every night. I will have to share this one with him :-)

• posted Feb 26, 2013 at 11:46 am

I wish my hubs would make dinner! he doesn’t mind pinch hitting, and making eggs or pancakes…but he doesn’t do “meals.” I’ll embrace his other wonderful qualities though :) We can whine together how busy we are!!

15. posted Feb 26, 2013 at 10:19 am

I’m with you on the business of schedules with children, and I only have two! There’s always soccer practices, baseball, basketball, tennis, or some activity. Dinners need to be planned or simple on those crazy nights, and this sounds great! The food blogging thing is not silly….you’ve got a great gig going here!

16. posted Feb 26, 2013 at 10:40 am

And I thought I was busy with 2 little ones! I feel like I just had flashes of the future reading about your week. I’m going to be very appreciative of the fact that right now all I handle is school and soccer. :) And I use our slow cooker at least once every week. I’m definitely going to be making this soon!

• posted Feb 26, 2013 at 11:50 am

Awww, just enjoy the moment. I found myself sometimes looking forward to the next “phase” that I missed some opportunities in the phase they were in already!!!

17. posted Feb 26, 2013 at 10:48 am

Glad to hear we are not the only “old school” family. Dinner around the table at night is a must with our 4 kids and we usually sit there for forty-five minutes to an hour. This meal looks great! I love crock pot dinners!

• posted Feb 26, 2013 at 11:52 am

YAY! Glad to hear there are others passing the dinner table tradition on to the next generation. Keep it up! We sit a long time too…chance to talk with eachother!

18. posted Feb 26, 2013 at 11:15 am

You are a very busy mom indeed! But it is great to see you being so supportive of your kid’s ventures. And I love slow cooker meals! Especially how they encase the house in such a lovely aroma during the day 😉

19. Amy
    posted Feb 26, 2013 at 11:37 am

I am so impressed! I don’t know how you do it?!?
    But you do it so well!
    I can’t wait to try this. I’m a crockpot fan myself. I have a balsamic roast in it as we speak!
    Thanks for sharing!

• posted Feb 26, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Aw, you’re too sweet Amy! I made a balsamic roast this week too…coming to the blog soon :)

20. posted Feb 26, 2013 at 2:37 pm

This is the kind of sandwich I need on a day like today. It’s raining on top of all the snow so it a big, cold, slushy mess. Taking a bit of this would definitely warm me up though, looks so good Aimee! :)

• posted Feb 26, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Yeah, it’s cold and rainy here too! Perfect Slow cooker meal night!

21. posted Feb 26, 2013 at 4:56 pm

The crock pot is my BFF as well. It makes meal times so much simpler. This slow cooker sausage and pepper dish looks delicious!

• posted Feb 26, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Thanks Nicole. I don’t know how our ancestors lived without slow cookers 😉

22. posted Feb 26, 2013 at 6:17 pm

So comforting! Now I need a slow cooker so badly in my life!

23. posted Feb 26, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I shouldn’t have popped on over here with a hungry tummy. :) I’d love to try this with chicken sausage one time. With a new slow cooker, we are always looking for new recipes to try! We just got one and I’m so excited about it!!

• posted Feb 27, 2013 at 7:41 am

I think chicken sausage work work great! Just toss in a pinch or two of crushed red pepper to give it an extra zip! Enjoy your new slow cooker!

24. posted Feb 26, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Ooooh my husband would go crazy for this! Looks great Aimee, and I’m a big fan of crock pot meals!!

• posted Feb 27, 2013 at 7:42 am

Glad to hear it Kristy! I’ve got another one coming to the blog next week!

25. posted Feb 26, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I don’t know how you juggle all that!! Omg my mom only had me and my brother and even then she was constantly running around to tennis and baseball and art shows etc etc. These sausage and peppers looks like the perfect solution to a (especially MY) busy week! Love this recipe Aimee! 😀

• posted Feb 27, 2013 at 7:43 am

I guess I don’t know any different! When they all leave and grow up I can’t even imagine what “quiet” will be like…

26. posted Feb 27, 2013 at 1:15 am

I just showed this recipe to my husband. It’s on!

27. posted Feb 27, 2013 at 12:48 pm

well, now I have like ten more recipes to pin. Thanks for tempting me with so much deliciousness!!!

28. posted Feb 27, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Made it. Loved it. Leftover for lunches with rice! It’s a keeper. Thanks Aimee!

29. Anonymous
    posted Mar 6, 2013 at 9:41 pm

This looks delicious!! But I don’t see an actual recipie?? How many peppers, how much sausage, what kind of sauce? Thank you:-)

30. Kelly
    posted Mar 6, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Oops sorry I guess I didn’t scroll far enough down:-) I see recipie! Thanks for sharing

31. posted Apr 5, 2013 at 12:39 am

I enjoy your recipes and other helpful hints you so kindly share. Thanks for posting such great ideas.

32. Kristina
    posted Apr 10, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Making right now and the house smells delicious!! No kids here yet.. We are getting married next month! Life is already busy hence the crock pot. Old school values here, dinner together every night.. Will continue with our kids one day.. Thanks for the post!

33. Whitney
    posted May 28, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Made the Balsamic Tenderloins this weekend…OMG! To die for!!! I will be using this sauce even for other meat. Thank you so much!!! :)

34. Denise
    posted Jul 17, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I made this tonight for dinner. It was so fast to throw together and it tasted AMAZING!!! We loved it! This is definitely a keeper. Thanks for posting :)

35. Kathleen
    posted Aug 6, 2013 at 10:19 pm

I happened to make up something similar to this last week & was a hit! I might add some rolls & cheese next time!

36. posted Aug 7, 2013 at 11:05 pm

So while most cheese aficionados will wrinkle there noses at the mere mention of processed cheeses,
    we have now found some very sophisticated uses for them. The fourth area where Romantsch
    is spoken, offers a satisfying soup made of barly.
    This is my favorite scenic drive in wa & the road winds through sections of tall trees which create a canopy over
    the road with filtered, speckled sunlight, entering through the car windows.

37. caroline
    posted Aug 10, 2013 at 6:28 pm

What is the recipe for the Sausage and Peppers dish? There is no link.

38. Leslie McCormick
    posted Sep 7, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Do you crumble the sausage when you cook it or leave it whole, or make it into little bite size pieces? Looking forward to trying this one. Thanks!

39. Kathye
    posted Oct 26, 2013 at 2:16 pm

The recipe is just above the comments. I also had a tough time finding it too :)

40. Leslie
    posted Jul 15, 2014 at 7:07 am

Good morning just found this recipe on Pinterest looks yummy!! However do you slice the sausages before browning or keep whole and slice after cooking in the slow cooker?? Thanks!

• posted Jul 15, 2014 at 10:01 am

Nope. According to the directions, you either buy bulk sausage, or remove the casings prior to browning. Then you cook and crumble before adding to the slow cooker. Hope that helps!

• Anonymous
        posted Jul 16, 2014 at 6:48 am

Perfect that helps can’t wait to make this…

41. Pingback: Cherry Dump Salad - Shugary Sweets

42. Michael
    posted Jan 3, 2015 at 10:16 pm

The ingredients list says 1 can of tomatoes but the “cans” and “14.5 oz each” wording makes it sound like maybe it’s supposed to be more than 1. Can you confirm it?

43. Jasmine M
    posted Jan 5, 2015 at 1:40 am

My husband and I made this the other day and it was delicious! We tweaked and instead of all the tomato sauce we just added 2 bottles of our favorite spaghetti sauce (spicy red pepper) and seasonings and had green and red peppers and onion. Day 1 we had w/ French bread but when we made leftovers I made spaghetti noodles and blended it together and it was so so good! Highly recommend.

44. Pingback: Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Chili - Shugary Sweets

45. Pingback: Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers: delicious, hearty meal made in your crockpot dinner - Slow Cooker Recipes

46. Pingback: 62 of the Best Crock Pot Recipes - Julie's Eats & Treats