Hot Cocoa Muddy Buddies

by aimee @ shugarysweets on January 25, 2014

Hot Cocoa Muddy Buddies are quite the treat, not only for kids but adults too! Enjoy a bowl with your favorite movie tonight!

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

Hot Cocoa Muddy Buddies: delicious hot chocolate mix with marshmallows make a fun snack!

I’ve been working hard on sharing healthy meals and snack ideas this new year! But in real life, I still eat the occasional sweets.

Here’s the thing about my blog. I share what we eat. I don’t create food JUST FOR YOU. Sorry friends. I mean, I share food JUST FOR YOU, but I create the food for my family.

Reading my blog you will see what we eat. From my dinners, to snacks, salads and desserts. This is real life. And for my family, everything is enjoyed in moderation.

So in December, when I was posting treat after treat…it didn’t mean we were eating those every day. I plan my recipes for the blog sometimes months in advance. I’ve already got several Easter recipes made, photographed and ready to go as the date gets closer. Just because I may share three treats in one week, it doesn’t mean we ate all those treats in one week.

Why am I telling you this? Well, I get emails and messages every day asking how we stay so thin, or how do we eat so much junk and not have health problems. I want you all to know my family is active. Yes, we all seem to have a sweet tooth here at the Shugary house, but we also balance it with fresh fruits, veggies and healthy meals! And of course, exercise. (See the behind the scenes of my life on instagram)!

With that said, let’s enjoy a sweet treat! Yes?

Another treat that I get many messages about is Puppy Chow. In my house that’s what we call this. But last year I received dozens of nasty comments and messages about feeding my dogs chocolate, that this year I will refer to this treat as Muddy Buddies so there is no confusion.

THIS IS FOR HUMANS ONLY!!

By adding hot cocoa mix powder to the powdered sugar the chocolate flavor shines through. But don’t forget those marshmallows! I used the Kraft Jet Puffed marshmallow bits, they are just like the ones you find in hot cocoa mixes! ENJOY a big bowl tonight, then be sure to get on the treadmill tomorrow!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Hot Cocoa Muddy Buddies

Yield: 12 cups

• 12 cup rice Chex cereal
  • 16oz Vanilla Candiquik (candy coating, almond bark)
  • 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup hot cocoa mix (I used Swiss Miss)
  • 1 cup Kraft Jet Puffed marshmallow bits

1. Microwave candy coating according to package directions.
  2. In a large bowl, combine melted Candiquik with chex cereal. Stir gently until blended. Sprinkle with hot cocoa mix and powdered sugar, folding over with a wooden spoon until fully coated. Add marshmallows bits.
  3. Store puppy chow/ muddy buddies in a large ziploc bag or airtight container for up to one week. ENJOY.

More HOT COCOA desserts:

salted caramel hot cocoa bars

Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa Bars

Santahats-685x1024

Santa Hat Hot cocoa Brownies: so maybe this time of year you don’t need the santa hat, but you do need the brownies!

Colada

Hot Choc-Colada: a delicious hot adult beverage, when pina colada meets hot cocoa!

Mary Frances January 25, 2014 at 10:17 am

“THIS IS FOR HUMANS ONLY!” –> I think I need to start calling it muddy buddies, too …
All joking aside, this is amazing! This would be the “one handful … just one more … oh, its gone” recipes:)

aimee @ shugarysweets January 25, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Yep, that’s exactly correct :)

LadyMichigan January 25, 2014 at 1:17 pm

You said it all when you said “in moderation” even really good stuff is bad for you when you go hog wild . A little sweet treat every once in a while does head off the sweet treat binge.

aimee @ shugarysweets January 25, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Thanks!! Glad you agree :)

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) January 25, 2014 at 1:33 pm

mmmmm mmmm mmm! Love this version of muddy buddies!
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted..Something Saturdays (1/25/14)My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 27, 2014 at 8:19 pm

aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Peanut Butter Lover’s FudgeMy Profile

Lorraine Rossi January 25, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Was wondering if the Kraft Jet Puffed marshmallow bits & Vanilla Candiquik are readily available @ markets(Wallyworld, Safeway)? Never having been a candy maker I was wondering.

LadyMichigan January 25, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Should be able to find in the baking isle of most stores some call it baking choc bark or vanilla bark (not to be confused with those little boxes of bitter chocolate or German Chocolate) I found mine at Aldi’s. Usually comes in 1 lb, packages that are divided into sections with a tray and you can break off what you need. .

Anna @ Garnish with Lemon January 25, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Love the idea of having this treat on family movie night! Waaaay better than those big boxes of candy my kids always want.
Anna @ Garnish with Lemon recently posted..Bacon Cream Cheese BitesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 25, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Unless the big box of candy is Skittles or Good & Plenty ;)

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen January 25, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I could eat the whole container of those Kraft Marshmallow bits! What a great version of puppy chow/muddy buddies- just a name! Some people are a little too crazy if yo ask me!!
Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen recently posted..Tiramisu CakeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 27, 2014 at 8:19 pm

I totally get ya. I’ve been caught with a handful myself :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Peanut Butter Lover’s FudgeMy Profile

Julianne @ Beyond Frosting January 26, 2014 at 2:45 am

Love this idea! I try not to make Muddy buddies often because I will sit and eat the whole thing to myself!
Julianne @ Beyond Frosting recently posted..Gooey Red Velvet Brownie CakeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 27, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Yep. I know the feeling!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Peanut Butter Lover’s FudgeMy Profile

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) January 26, 2014 at 11:34 am

These are just the cutest things ever!
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) recently posted..Lazy Strawberry Cinnamon RollsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 27, 2014 at 8:20 pm

aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Peanut Butter Lover’s FudgeMy Profile

Megan - The Emotional Baker January 26, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I don’t make snacks like this often enough. I love that you used hot cocoa mix. Can’t wait to try this :)

aimee @ shugarysweets January 27, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Thanks Megan, hope you love it :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Peanut Butter Lover’s FudgeMy Profile

Annabelle January 26, 2014 at 1:32 pm

OH PLEASE, never apologize for eating sweets or how you combine them with healthy foods. I mean, EVERYONE eats sweets, some just don’t admit it.

I love all your recipes and I only hope you don’t wait until right before Easter to publish your recipes. I think many of us really do plan ahead and it’s great to know that the meal is planned early enough to spend time shopping for all the candy :-) Keep up your great blog and forget what others interpret for you. I suppose next you will be accused of drinking Captain Morgan and how bad that is….oh for goodness sake.

aimee @ shugarysweets January 27, 2014 at 7:40 am

Easter is very late this year, so I can guarantee I’ll be sharing early this year!!!

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet January 26, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Love muddy buddies! This version could be a fast favorite in our house! I normally only use hot cocoa to make ours!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..2nd Annual Super Bowl and Chili PartyMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 27, 2014 at 7:40 am

YUm, ALL hot cocoa? I bet that’s good too :)

marcie January 27, 2014 at 9:51 am

I’m very much into everything hot cocoa flavored these days, so these look so delicious, Aimee!
marcie recently posted..Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroon ThumbprintsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 27, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Thanks Marcie!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Peanut Butter Lover’s FudgeMy Profile

Sarah @ Miss CandiQuik January 27, 2014 at 10:24 am

you are the queen of muddy buddies! Love it…
Sarah @ Miss CandiQuik recently posted..Marshmallow Olympic SkiersMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 27, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Gotta be a queen of something? I’ll take it (there is a crown, right????)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Peanut Butter Lover’s FudgeMy Profile

Jocelyn@Brucrewlife January 27, 2014 at 11:06 pm

People get so cray cray over the smallest things!! ;) Also, I’m in love with these muddy buddies! Bring on the chocolate!!
Jocelyn@Brucrewlife recently posted..Time to Sparkle #45My Profile

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain January 28, 2014 at 11:32 am

Omg If I had a dollar for every time I heard the question “how are you not obese from all the sweets you bake” I would be a freaking millionaire. OF COURSE I SHARE IT YOU SILLY PEOPLE! Though I think I could make an exception with these muddy buddies. These I might keep all for myself. ;)
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..#Muffin Monday: Banana Split MuffinsMy Profile

Megan G January 29, 2014 at 3:17 am

This sounds so yummy and for all you chocoholics out there they now have chocolate flavored Kraft jet puffed marshmallow bits :)

Nutmeg Nanny February 4, 2014 at 4:01 pm

This looks addicting!! My mom used to make a similar recipe when I was younger :) I’ve always loved this stuff.
Nutmeg Nanny recently posted..Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed ChickenMy Profile

Mona T November 24, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I think people outside of Illinois may not have ever called that kind of Chex Mix “Puppy Chow.” I know I have friends elsewhere who don’t know what I”m talking about when I bring it up. And now it’s officially called “Muddy Buddies,” because Nestlé, who owns Purina, no longer owns Chex.

I am running low on hot cocoa mix, and will have to buy more now. I”d have to buy more anyway, but now I really have to.:-)
Mona T recently posted..Summer Is Almost OverMy Profile