Orange Scones

Forget Panera, these copycat Orange Scones taste amazing. Plus, you get more for your money! BONUS.

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

Orange Scones: copycat Panera recipe

My family doesn’t do fast food very much at all. Panera, Chipotle and Subway are what we consider “fast food” around here.

When it comes to Panera, I’m weak to the pastries. Those beautiful pastries that call my name. And when they offer me one of them with my meal for 99 cents, how can I resist?

I love recreating restaurant recipes at home. And while I have no idea if this is even CLOSE to how they make their scones, I can tell you that these are delicious.

There is something wonderful about eating a fresh baked pastry with a cup of coffee in the morning. Especially if you made that pastry yourself.

One of my favorite routines is to enjoy a cup of coffee with my breakfast after all my children have safely left the home for school. I can’t resist a piece of biscotti, a donut, or a scone.

Orange Scones: copycat Panera recipe

Today’s recipe gets it’s orange flavor from not only freshly zested oranges, but also the juice and some extract as well. It’s citrus overload (without tasting like overload of course)!

And the glaze, well, you might as well make a little extra. I’m pretty sure you may find yourself slurping this up with a straw, like orange juice (or is that just me??)

These scones are flaky and delicious. I just used a large baking sheet to make my scones. If you have an actual scone pan, you could try using that too! This makes 12 large scones! I have frozen them too, before applying the glaze. Once thawed on the counter top, make a fresh batch of glaze and enjoy!!!

Orange Scones: copycat Panera recipe

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Orange Scones

• 1/2 tsp orange extract
  • 1 tsp orange zest
  • For the glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp orange juice
  • 1 tsp orange zest

1. For the scones, combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Add in butter. Mix using the beater blade of an electric mixer until it resembles coarse crumbs (you can also use a pastry cutter, if you prefer).
  2. Add in egg, yogurt, orange juice, orange extract and orange zest. Combine completely.
  3. On a large baking sheet with parchment paper (or silpat), shape dough into a large rectange (about 9inch x 7inch by 1/2 inch thick). Use your hands to pat dough, it will be sticky. Sprinkle with flour to make it workable.
  4. Using a large knife or pizza cutter, slice dough in half then cut into thirds (vertically) creating six rectangles. Cut each rectangle in half to make 2 triangles. You will be left with a total of 12 triangles. Don't separate them on the baking sheet yet!
  5. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and re-cut your triangles carefully. Separate and return to oven for an additional 10-15 minutes. Remove and cool completely before glazing.
  6. For the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, orange zest and orange juice. Spoon glaze over each cooled scone, allow to set, about 15 minutes. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days. ENJOY!

Love COPYCAT recipes? Here are a few of my favorites….

Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pie recipe

Chipotle copycat Barbacoa and Cilantro-Lime Rice

Copycat York Peppermint Patties

Still looking for a specific COPYCAT recipe?

Check out my COPYCAT RECIPES board on Pinterest!!

43 Responses to “Orange Scones”

1. posted Feb 16, 2014 at 9:38 am

These look delicious! Love having a great pastry in the morning…. especially at panera. Wishing I had one of these with my coffee this morning : )

2. posted Feb 16, 2014 at 10:20 am

I am so freaking glad I can’t easily access Panera, otherwise I would pretty much live in their bakery dept. >_< That Asiago Cheese Bread = my life. The scones are dangerous too, especially yours since now I can make it at home! Ugh. C'mon Aimee, are you trying to get me to give up on my resolutions?! 😉

3. posted Feb 16, 2014 at 10:32 am

I wish I had some of these to enjoy for breakfast today! That glaze is drool worthy :)

• posted Feb 16, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Thanks Rachel. I wish you could enjoy a couple of these too!!!

4. posted Feb 16, 2014 at 1:09 pm

We consider fast food the same restaurants as you! Your scones look incredible and so perfect with coffee!! This is a must make!!

• posted Feb 16, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Thank you Jennifer. Isn’t it funny how everyone has their own view of fast food :)

5. posted Feb 16, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Oh yeah I totally want these over Panera anyday!

6. posted Feb 16, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I think I could LIVE on these orange scones! Seriously. Wow.

• posted Feb 17, 2014 at 8:44 am

They definitely are a wonderful treat in the morning. Or at lunch. Or dinner.

7. posted Feb 16, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Forgetting Panera is a tall order! But if it means I can eat these scones, then let the brainwashing begin 😉 Love the crunchy edge and tender middle. And the citrus is perfect!

• posted Feb 17, 2014 at 8:45 am

Thanks girl. Yeah I could never forget Panera, but I can limit my visits and enjoy this at home more often!

8. posted Feb 16, 2014 at 10:45 pm

I am so all over these! My mouth is watering!

9. posted Feb 17, 2014 at 8:20 am

We don’t do much fast food either. This is why our grocery bill is eleventy trillion dollars!! But when I DO eat Panera, I’m all over the pastries. Probably a good thing I don’t go often, ha!!

These look fabulous — I need that glaze in my life!!

• posted Feb 17, 2014 at 8:46 am

Only eleventy trillion? hehe!! I know the feeling!

10. posted Feb 17, 2014 at 10:03 am

That’s pretty much our idea of fast food too!!! I love checking out the pastries at all the places we go too! These scones…I need them and some glaze to slurp on!!! Yum!

• posted Feb 17, 2014 at 11:15 am

We are twinsies…as are our families!! Must live closer!

11. posted Feb 17, 2014 at 10:22 am

I was never a fan of scones (dry, flavorless, doughy) UNTIL I tried Panera’s! YUM! And now I can make them on my own! Woohoo! THANKS! You’re awesome!

And I’m with you on the fast food places……BUT……if you’re in need of a great FAST salad fix, the Southwest Chicken Salad at (of all places!) McDonald’s is AWESOME. Get it with the grilled (not fried) chicken, and it’s fresh, huge, very satisfying and really really tasty! And doesn’t blow out your calories for the day either…..I think it’s about 350! AND, I think it’s under $5 (in my area, anyway.) Just letting you know, there’s a really good FAST salad out there! :o)

• posted Feb 17, 2014 at 11:14 am

I have had that salad, it’s not bad! I just never think to go to McD’s :)

12. posted Feb 17, 2014 at 11:00 am

I love scones but have never made an orange version, which clearly needs to be changed asap. These look perfect!

• posted Feb 17, 2014 at 11:13 am

Thanks Anna, I very rarely make scones at home, I’m more of a biscotti and muffin girl. But now I need to find more scones recipes, yummy!!

13. posted Feb 17, 2014 at 1:46 pm

These orange scones are everything! I so would eat a bunch and not regret a thing!

• posted Feb 18, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I have no regrets when it comes to eating. Well, except when I eat it all…that’s no bueno!

14. posted Feb 17, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I love having a homemade pastry in the morning with my coffee (or a store-bought one will do as well! ha!). But homemade is better : ) These orange scones look delicious – I love how many ways you have the orange in here! Plus, scones are my favorite breakfast treat to make at home!

15. posted Feb 18, 2014 at 1:20 am

Panera is my fast food too, unless it’s in the middle of the night- then del taco works 😉 LOL I have always eyed the orange scones from Panera but since I have grown up with scones always in our kitchen I have never given Panera’s a try! The glaze on yours looks gorgeous!

• posted Feb 18, 2014 at 5:15 pm

I don’t know del taco, but sounds delicious! Homemade scones are way better than storebought!!

16. posted Feb 18, 2014 at 8:53 am

These scones look amazing Aimee! I love all the orange you used to make these – would love a few of these for my breakfast!

17. posted Feb 18, 2014 at 7:43 pm

These scones look delicious Aimee! Love orange in the morning!

18. posted Feb 19, 2014 at 8:34 am

Wow, I could go for a couple of these right now Aimee! I am a huge sucker for the cinnamon crunch bagels at Panera, so good, but so bad :)

19. posted Feb 19, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Seriously I am craving these right now! That glaze looks unreal delicious! Beautiful photos :)

20. posted Mar 4, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Panera scones have been forgotten! These look delicious, I love orange scones :)

21. Aimee L
    posted Apr 16, 2014 at 8:53 am

So these were out of this world tasty! The one issue I had was uneven baking due to laying the dough out on the baking sheet and not getting it even enough. Would it be possible to bake these in a cast iron skillet?

22. posted Aug 26, 2014 at 11:25 am

I adapted this recipe to be Gluten Free by using Glutino All-Purpose flour in place if regular all-purpose flour. These turned out PHENOMENALLY. I recently made the switch to GF and Panera’s scones are my old favorite. I couldn’t find a simple enough GF recipe so I just used this one (because it looked the best!) and I am SO GLAD that I did. I’m in scone heaven right now. :)

23. Pingback: Orange Creamsicle Bars - Baking Beauty

24. ol
    posted Mar 4, 2015 at 11:06 am

not sure if it was me and my lack of skills but these turned out more like sponge cake than scone… still not use to the idea of eggs in scones, must be an American thing! Traditional Scottish scones omit the eggs. They were also WAY too sweet!

• posted Mar 4, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Odd. They definitely should not have a sponge cake texture! They are crumbly and flaky like a traditional scone! Sorry it didn’t work out for you.

25. Momuv3princesses
    posted Nov 10, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Just had my bite of a Panera orange scone on Saturday and Sunday I came looking for a copycat recipe for these amazingly delicious little things. Your recipe did not disappoint! They were FANTASTIC! (Even my picky kid loved them!) My 12 year old said she wants one every morning for breakfast. :) Thank you sooo much for sharing this recipe!!! Oh and for other newbies to making scones, this was my first time making them. I had never been a scone fan because I thought they were dry and flavorless when I had tried them from a bakery before.

• posted Nov 12, 2015 at 7:13 am

Oh thank you so much for stopping back! So glad to hear you’ve had scone success :)