Walnut Brownies – Fudgy brownies with a delicious nutty crunch! These decadent brownies are easy to make and guaranteed to satisfy any chocolate craving.
Why this Recipe Works
I’ve made a lot of brownies in my time. Which means I know a thing or two about how the make the perfect fudgy brownie with a crackly top.
- Four Eggs. These react with the other ingredients to create that shiny crispy crust on top. To get the ideal fudginess factor, you only mix the batter lightly after adding the dry ingredients.
- Mix just until combined. Less mixing reduces the amount of air trapped inside. More air = more cakey. Less air = more fudgy!
- I also use melted butter to keep the brownies dense but still soft and chewy.
- Then, there are the walnuts. Some “walnut brownies” are decorated with a layer of walnuts on top, either before or after baking. That wasn’t enough nuttiness for me so I folded walnut pieces right into the brownie batter. You add even more walnuts (and chocolate) on top before baking.
The result is a rich chocolate brownie with the crunch of walnuts in every bite. Perfection.
Almond extract. This adds another dimension of nutty flavor to the brownies. Some people find it adds notes of cherry or amaretto. If you prefer, vanilla extract can be used instead.
Chopped walnuts. Swap them out for pecans for a tasty pecan brownie recipe! (If you LOVE walnuts, be sure to try our maple walnut fudge recipe!)
Chocolate morsels. Semi sweet tastes best in this walnut brownie recipe.
Cocoa powder. Choose unsweetened cocoa powder, not dutch processed cocoa powder.
Melt the butter, then stir in half of the chocolate morsels and the sugar. Stir until all the chocolate has melted.
Make batter. Add in eggs and mix well. Add the almond extract and stir again.
Now, add the dry ingredients. Use big strokes to gently combine the dry ingredients with the wet. Stop mixing as soon as you no longer see clumps of the dry ingredients.
Fold in more chocolate chips and one cup of the walnuts.
Prepare pan. Spread the batter into a square baking dish lined with parchment paer, then sprinkle the rest of the nuts and chocolate chips on top.
Bake walnut brownies for 40-45 minutes. Let them cool in the pan completely before cutting.
Tips and Tricks
- Use a plastic knife for cutting the cooled brownies. Make long even slices for clean edges.
- Mix by hand. I use a large wooden spoon to mix the batter. Do not use an electric mixer here! Over mixing after adding the dry ingredients will make the brownies more airy and cakey.
- Line the pan with parchment paper first. A square of parchment fitted to the bottom of the brownie pan prevents them from sticking and makes for easy clean up.
- Storing. Transfer cooled brownies to an airtight container and keep at room temperature for up to one week.
- Freezing. Freeze brownies for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
- Make it a Sundae. Don’t forget to warm up the brownie, top it with some homemade vanilla ice cream, and drizzle with hot fudge sauce!
- Craving Cookies instead? Whip up a batch of Chocolate Chip Walnut bars.
This brownie recipe yields about 9 large brownies (3 x 3 inches). Cut into smaller squares, you could get up to 1 dozen.
You could also cut them into even smaller pieces for walnut brownie bites.
Brownies fall apart or tear when they are not fully cool. They sometimes need up to one hour to cool completely. To prevent tearing, I also recommend using a clean, plastic knife. It creates the most even edges and easily cuts through the cooled brownies.
Yes, you can leave the walnuts out of this brownie recipe for a simple, delicious chocolate brownie recipe.
If you love thick and fudgy brownies, I’ve got a few delicious flavors just for you, all based off one recipe.
Peanut Butter Swirled Brownies. Everyone loves the classic combo of peanut butter and chocolate. That swirl on top is divine.
M&Ms Brownies. Choose your favorite flavor M&M candies or a color for a holiday treat!
Salted Caramel Brownies. What’s not to love about this sweet and salty flavor combo? This *might* be the best one yet!
More Easy Dessert Recipes
Walnuts and chocolate are the perfect pair in this Walnut Brownie Recipe. Enjoy one with a glass of milk or scoop whipped cream on top for an extra special treat!