When you can’t decide between cheesecake and brownies: make both! Fudgy chocolate brownies are topped with a sweet cream cheese layer in this easy recipe for Cheesecake Brownies.
Table of Contents
Why These Brownies Are Best
These Cheesecake Brownies are a perfect example of how two contrasting flavors can combine to make something extraordinary.
Think about our brookies– a combo of cookie and brownie.
Today, we’ve got an even richer treat!
- Cheesecake and brownies in one!
- Rich chocolate meats tangy cream cheese.
- Impressive, decadent and easy to make.
If you love our dark chocolate brownies, you can add the cheesecake swirls on top of that recipe instead!
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – A high quality cocoa like Ghirardelli or Guittard will yield the best brownie flavor.
- Chocolate chips – These get melted with butter and sugar to make the brownies thick and fudgy.
- Cream cheese – Make sure to use the full fat cream cheese that comes in blocks, not spreadable tubs.
- Vanilla extract – Choose a pure extract to give a creamy, aromatic dimension of flavor to both the cream cheese layer and the brownies. Our homemade vanilla extract is perfect.
Tips and Tricks
Making Cheesecake Brownies may sound like twice the work, but it’s actually not much more effort than making a try of plain brownies.
- First, make the brownie batter. Use a large spoon to combine the ingredients using large strokes, being careful not to overmix when adding the dry ingredients.
- Spoon three quarters of the brownie batter into a square baking dish.
- Now beat together all the ingredients for the cheesecake filling.
- Pour cheesecake filling over the batter.
- Spoon the remaining brownie batter on top.
- Gently swirl the two layers with a knife to create a marbled pattern.
Bake, let cool and enjoy!
The biggest hurdle to making cheesecake brownies is that the top of the cream cheese layer has a tendency to burn before the brownies have completely baked. We solve that issue by covering the cheesecake brownies with foil during the last 10 minutes of baking. This shields the delicate cheesecake from direct heat to prevent burning.
These brownies are best enjoyed chilled. At room temperature, they tend to become gooey and difficult to eat. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator to keep them looking and tasting extraordinary!
Both cheesecake and brownies are freezer friendly so it follows that these cheesecake brownies would freeze well too!
Transfer sliced brownies to a freezer safe container for up to three months. Thaw and enjoy.
More Brownie Recipes
- Oreo Brownies
- Marshmallow Brownies
- Turtle Brownies
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies
- Frosted Brownies
- M&M Brownies
For the Brownies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
For the cream cheese layer
- 8 ounce cream cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Remove from heat and add in chocolate chips and sugar.
- Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add in eggs, one at a time, stirring completely after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Add the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder. Using big strokes, stir in JUST until mixed and no longer see dry ingredients. DO NOT BEAT OR OVER STIR.
- Pour about 3/4ths of the brownie batter into the dish. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and completely combined.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and beat for 30 seconds.
- Pour cheesecake over the brownie layer.
- Add dollops of the remaining brownie batter on top of the cheesecake layer and swirl the two layers with a knife.
- Bake for 40 minutes. The center will still be a little jiggly. Cover with foil to prevent the cheesecake layer from browning, and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.
- Make sure not to swirl the two layers together too much. The more you swirl, the contrast between the two will be less distinct.
- These are best served chilled. As the brownies come to room temperature, they get gooier.
- Storing. Transfer cooled brownies to an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to one week.
- Freezing. Freeze brownies for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
Cheesecake Brownies bring together two decadent desserts in one simple, jaw-droppingly delicious recipe!