When you can’t decide between cheesecake and brownies: make both! Fudgy chocolate brownies are topped with a sweet cream cheese layer in this easy recipe for Cheesecake Brownies.
Why These Brownies Are Best
These Cheesecake Brownies are a perfect example of how two contrasting flavors can combine to make something extraordinary.
Think about our brookies– a combo of cookie and brownie.
Today, we’ve got an even richer treat!
- Cheesecake and brownies in one!
- Rich chocolate meats tangy cream cheese.
- Impressive, decadent and easy to make.
If you love our dark chocolate brownies, you can add the cheesecake swirls on top of that recipe instead!
Making today’s recipe is simple enough with ingredients you may already have in your pantry. Be sure to scroll down all the way to the recipe card for a complete list with exact measurements.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – A high quality cocoa like Ghirardelli or Guittard will yield the best brownie flavor.
- Chocolate chips – These get melted with butter and sugar to make the brownies thick and fudgy.
- Cream cheese – Make sure to use the full fat cream cheese that comes in blocks, not spreadable tubs.
- Vanilla extract – Choose a pure extract to give a creamy, aromatic dimension of flavor to both the cream cheese layer and the brownies. Our homemade vanilla extract is perfect.
Tips and Tricks
Making Cheesecake Brownies may sound like twice the work, but it’s actually not much more effort than making a try of plain brownies.
- First, make the brownie batter. Use a large spoon to combine the ingredients using large strokes, being careful not to overmix when adding the dry ingredients.
- Spoon three quarters of the brownie batter into a square baking dish.
- Now beat together all the ingredients for the cheesecake filling.
- Pour cheesecake filling over the batter.
- Spoon the remaining brownie batter on top.
- Gently swirl the two layers with a knife to create a marbled pattern.
Bake, let cool and enjoy!
The biggest hurdle to making cheesecake brownies is that the top of the cream cheese layer has a tendency to burn before the brownies have completely baked. We solve that issue by covering the cheesecake brownies with foil during the last 10 minutes of baking. This shields the delicate cheesecake from direct heat to prevent burning.
These brownies are best enjoyed chilled. At room temperature, they tend to become gooey and difficult to eat. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator to keep them looking and tasting extraordinary!
Both cheesecake and brownies are freezer friendly so it follows that these cheesecake brownies would freeze well too!
Transfer sliced brownies to a freezer safe container for up to three months. Thaw and enjoy.
More Brownie Recipes
Cheesecake Brownies bring together two decadent desserts in one simple, jaw-droppingly delicious recipe!