Chocolate Orange Biscotti

by aimee @ shugarysweets on April 7, 2013

Chocolate Orange Biscotti: a delicious breakfast treat, COOKIES FOR BREAKFAST! @shugarysweets

My mind always is thinking of the next great biscotti recipe. Anyone else with me on this?

Okay, so maybe not everyone thinks the same way I do. But, biscotti is a delicious, crunchy treat that is perfect for breakfast.

Seriously, cookies for breakfast. And because biscotti is totally acceptable, you can put anything in them! (hello..turtle biscotti) Today, though, I made some Chocolate Orange Biscotti.

I added orange zest and orange flavoring to the biscotti. I then topped each piece with some melted milk chocolate drizzle. I mixed up some more orange zest with granulated sugar and sprinkled that on the melted chocolate. Biscotti is so easy to make and it’s so impressive to serve to friends, family or enjoy by yourself.

What’s YOUR favorite biscotti combination?

Don’t miss a single recipe: connect with Shugary Sweets!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin’

Chocolate Orange Biscotti

Yield: 16-18 slices

For the Biscotti:
  • 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp orange flavoring (extract)
  • 1 orange, zested
  • 2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • For the Garnish:
  • 1 orange zested
  • 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup milk chocolate, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until combined, about 2 minutes. Add in eggs, orange extract and orange zest. Slowly add flour and baking powder.
  3. On a parchment paper lined baking sheet, shape dough into a 12inch by 4 inch rectangular log, patting evenly (will be about 1/2 inch high). Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and slice biscotti into 16-18 slices. Arrange slices on their sides, leaving a little space between each slice. return to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes. Remove and cool completely before garnishing.
  4. When cool, drizzle melted chocolate over each slice. In a small bowl mix the zest of one orange with the sugar, using a fork. Sprinkle immediately over the melted chocolate. ENJOY!

Notes

**To drizzle chocolate, pour melted chocolate into a small ziploc bag. Snip off the corner and drizzle over biscotti.

Love Biscotti? This Caramel Macchiato biscotti is a favorite in our home!

Caramel Macchiato Biscotti from @shugarysweets

Snickerdoodle Biscotti. Truly it’s a cookie for breakfast. But, totally acceptable too!

Snickerdoodle Biscotti from @shugarysweets

Cranberry Orange Biscotti. Another delicious combination!

Cranberry Orange Biscotti from @shugarysweets

Carol | a cup of mascarpone April 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm

This looks so delectable…adore biscotti! It’s my favorite Italian cookie to give as gifts! This flavor is lovely!
Carol | a cup of mascarpone recently posted..chocolate buttermilk & white chocolate chunk muffinsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 7, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Thanks Carol. They do make great gifts and they ship quite well too!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Orange BiscottiMy Profile

Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations April 7, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Aimee…I think of you as the fudge and biscotti queen :D This new biscotti concoction looks fantastic!
Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations recently posted..Mocha Popcorn MunchMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 7, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Wow, I feel so honored. I wear my crown with pride :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Orange BiscottiMy Profile

Marcie@Flavorthemoments April 7, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I love espresso chocolate biscotti and gingerbread biscotti. I want to try an apricot white Choctaw recipe, and now this! I love orange and chocolate together. These look amazing, Aimee!
Marcie@Flavorthemoments recently posted..No Bake Peanut Butter Raisinette Granola BarsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 7, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Oh apricot white chocolate sounds lovely Marcie!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Orange BiscottiMy Profile

Meg @ Sweet Twist April 7, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Great combo. I am such a biscotti fan as well.
Meg @ Sweet Twist recently posted..Maple Cheddar Apple CrumbleMy Profile

April April 7, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Yup, I’m with you! I’m making a classic almond biscotti this week. You got me hooked, woman! This one looked gorgeous and scrumptious. I’ve got them all bookmarked! :)
~April

aimee @ shugarysweets April 7, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Yeah for getting you hooked :) Or, sorry?? haha!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Orange BiscottiMy Profile

April April 12, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Definitely YAY!!

Eva @ Eva Bakes April 7, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Chocolate and orange is a fabulous combo! I don’t normally drink coffee but would love dunking these biscotti in a nice cup of hot chocolate!
Eva @ Eva Bakes recently posted..Skating FridaysMy Profile

Ashley April 7, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I’m all over any excuse to have a cookie with my coffee! And these look SO delicious – love orange and chocolate!
Ashley recently posted..Glazed Meyer Lemon Tea CakeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 7, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Cookie with coffee is a perfect pair, so why not make biscotti :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Orange BiscottiMy Profile

Katy @ Katys' Kitchen April 7, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Biscotti is that thing that makes your coffee that much more delicious. This one looks really yummy, I would like this for breakfast or dessert! My favourite biscotti is dark dark chocolate, with black coffee. Mmm :)
Katy @ Katys’ Kitchen recently posted..Wake up Wonderful with Fluffy Buckwheat PancakesMy Profile

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust April 7, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I am newly in love with orange and chocolate. These are gorgeous Aimee!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Milky Way Brownie BitesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 7, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I’m a long time lover, haha!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Orange BiscottiMy Profile

tanya April 7, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Orange and chocolate are an amazing combination! I love biscotti, I don’t know know why I save them for my Christmas baking!
tanya recently posted..Almond Chocolate Chip Toffee CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 8, 2013 at 8:08 am

Yeah, you need to change that!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Orange BiscottiMy Profile

Tiffany April 7, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Homemade biscotti! I don’t know why I never thought about someone doing it at home, but I didn’t… brilliant. The flavors you chose sound great. YUM!
Tiffany recently posted..Introducing Farmer’s Market Fridays… (Carrot Soup with Ginger & Lemon)My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 8, 2013 at 8:08 am

Thanks Tiffany, I truly adore having a bag of these on the counter. YUM.
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Orange BiscottiMy Profile

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life April 7, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I’m completely down with cookies for breakfast. I’m coming over for some coffee and one of your fabulous biscotti creations…K???
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Chocolate Reese’s CheesecakeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 8, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Yes! Please please please come for coffee and biscotti!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chicken Fajita French Bread PizzaMy Profile

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet April 8, 2013 at 8:00 am

Seriously I have actually never tried to make biscotti. I need to jump on this! I could see it becoming very addicting!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..DIY Soccer Cupcake ToppersMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 8, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Oh it’s like a cookie, just so many flavors once you start making them!

Kelly @ Hidden fruits and veggies April 8, 2013 at 8:34 am

ohhhhh biscotti. I dont think I’ve ever met a biscotti I didnt like, and I think I’d really really like this one! Thanks for a tasty recipe!
Kelly @ Hidden fruits and veggies recently posted..Super Quick and Easy Whole Wheat BreadMy Profile

carrian April 8, 2013 at 11:35 am

Such a great flavor combo on such a classic recipe. love it
carrian recently posted..Ain’t Yo Mama’s Banana BreadMy Profile

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet April 8, 2013 at 11:44 am

You know I tried making biscotti because of you so I will definitely be giving this one a try too!
Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet recently posted..Homemade Wheat ThinsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 8, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Love it!

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain April 8, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Well you know I love lemon and white chocolate on my biscotti, but DUDE Aimee chocolate and orange sounds like all sorts of awesome. :D
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Food Bloggers Against Hunger: Brown Sugar Cinnamon Granola MuffinsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 8, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Yeah, I love lemon and white chocolate too. But I promise this is the next best thing!

Sues April 8, 2013 at 9:37 pm

THese are beautiful! And I’m pretty sure they’d make my afternoon coffee at work WAY better! :)
Sues recently posted..Roasted Garlic Mac and Cheese with Sausage and KaleMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 9, 2013 at 9:06 am

Absolutely they would!!

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) April 9, 2013 at 11:15 am

That is some seriously lovely biscotti! I love the combo of orange and chocolate. So incredible!

Wendy April 9, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Great flavors and beautiful biscotti, Aimee! I love the extra sprinkle of orange zest and sugar. Such a little touch, but it makes such a big difference in appearance and adds a great boost of orange flavor. These have my favorite texture in biscotti too. Crunchy but not hard. (My mind buzzes over biscotti possibilities too.) :)
Wendy recently posted..Espresso Chocolate Shortbread CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 11, 2013 at 7:30 am

Glad I’m not alone in this!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Fluffernutter Rice Krispie TreatsMy Profile

Jess April 10, 2013 at 3:02 pm

This looks completely delicious!!

I would love for you to join my Link Up this week!

Jess recently posted..Pizza PocketsMy Profile

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat April 10, 2013 at 6:43 pm

These sound soooooo good!!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Fun and Effective SculptingMy Profile

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking April 10, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I rarely make biscotti since I CAN NOT STOP eating them! They totally addictive and it just happens that orange and chocolate it’s a combo dear to me.
I can hear my oven calling me
Roxana | Roxana’s Home Baking recently posted..Meyer Lemon TartMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 11, 2013 at 7:32 am

I know the feeling. But it’s nice to keep in a ziploc (lasts weeks) and just dunk one a day with my coffee :)

Nutmeg Nanny April 10, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Oh wow, I love biscotti so much and this chocolate & orange combination sounds perfect :)
Nutmeg Nanny recently posted..Sucre 15 Piece Indulge Chocolate Collection {Giveaway}My Profile

Ari @ Ari's Menu April 11, 2013 at 10:01 am

I LOVE the combination of orange and chocolate, and I’ve never seen it in biscotti! These look amaaaaazing!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Cookie Butter Streusel Banana BreadMy Profile

Sally May 7, 2013 at 8:54 pm

OH my – this looks so delicious! I love chocolate and orange flavors together.
Sally recently posted..A New Look ~ Dish-Towel CurtainsMy Profile