Peppermint Puppy Chow

by aimee @ shugarysweets on November 21, 2013

Whether you call it Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies, this delicious snack got a holiday makeover! Peppermint style.

Peppermint Puppy Chow: Easy no bake muddy buddies recipe!  Perfect for holidays!

Did you know you can buy Peppermint Chex Mix in the stores now? I believe they call it Peppermint Bark Muddy Buddies Chex Mix. Yeah, for $4 a bag, which equates to one serving in my house.

Or, you can make your own and have a huge gallon sized ziploc bag full, ready to munch on all week long! I choose option B.

Or I should say, I CHOSE option B. Because that gallon sized bag is now empty. Waiting for refills. This was so good. My kids took it as their treat in their lunches for a week. Dare I mention how many times I treated myself to “just a bite.”

Puppy chow is so easy to make. I started by melting the vanilla candy coating in the microwave with the Andes Peppermint Crunch baking chips. Pour it over your cereal, add some powdered sugar and crushed candy canes and you have yourself a delicious snack.

I stock up when I see those Andes Peppermint Crunch baking chips in the stores. I think YOU should too, cause they run out of them early in the season! At least in my stores they do. If you can’t find them, you can use Ghirardelli Peppermint Bars, melted down. If you can’t find those, just add extra crushed candy canes to your melted chocolate. And if you can’t find those, go buy some Chex Mix. Ha!

And before you send me any hate mail, this is for HUMAN consumption. Not puppies. Yes, you’d be surprised at how many people think this is dog food. I grew up calling it puppy chow, but I hear many others refer to this treat as Muddy Buddies. It’s not made of mud either. Just sayin.

What’s your favorite holiday snack?

Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Peppermint Puppy Chow

Rating: 51

Yield: 12 cups

A delicious no bake holiday recipe, this Peppermint Puppy Chow is a crowd pleaser!

• 16oz Vanilla candy coating (candiquik)
  • 1 cup Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips
  • 12 cup Chex cereal (I use a combination of the rice and the corn flavors)
  • 2 cup powdered sugar
  • 6 regular sized Peppermint Candy Canes, crushed

1. Place vanilla candy coating and peppermint crunch baking chips in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 second intervals, mixing between each interval. Mine took 2 minutes total. Stir until smooth.
  2. Place cereal in a very large bowl. Pour melted chocolate over cereal. Add about 3/4 of the crushed candy canes. Mix until all the cereal is covered in chocolate. Add powdered sugar and stir until fully coated. Sprinkle with remaining peppermint candy canes. Store in an airtight container for up to one week. Enjoy!

You may also want to check out my Christmas Holiday Cheer Pinterest Board. It’s filled with great holiday recipe ideas!

Now that you’ve stocked up on the Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips, here are a few of my favorite recipes:

peppermint fudge

Peppermint Fudge

Peppermint Mocha Cookie Crisps

cheesecake cake

Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake Cake

Julianne @ Beyond Frosting November 21, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I can only imagine how addicting this must be!
Julianne @ Beyond Frosting recently posted..White Chocolate Peppermint Rice Krispie TreatsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 22, 2013 at 9:24 am

Very. Like any puppy chow, you just can’t stop until you’re completely covered in powdered sugar!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Peppermint Puppy ChowMy Profile

Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life November 21, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I didn’t know Andes made a peppermint version! I must go find them. We just bought a bag of peppermint chex mix that was one sale and its already gone:) This sounds addictive and delicious!
Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life recently posted..Raspberry Truffle Bites {healthy, GF}My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 22, 2013 at 9:24 am

Yes, you need the Andes peppermint in your life. Trust me :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Peppermint Puppy ChowMy Profile

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet November 21, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Just bought a bag of those Andes Peppermint baking chips yesterday! Now I have a good use for them!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Less Laundry, More Linking #17My Profile

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life November 21, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I stock up on those Andes mints every time I head to the store during the holidays. I can only imagine how fast that puppy chow would disappear if it was in my hands :-) Yummo!!!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Caramel Pecan Cheesecake TartsMy Profile

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction November 21, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Love that you made a puppy chow with those Andes peppermint crunch chips! A batch of this would disappear in no time at my house!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction recently posted..Eggnog Chai Cookies with Eggnog Buttercream FrostingMy Profile

Stephanie @ PlainChicken November 21, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I can’t wait to try this! I love those Andes mints.
Stephanie @ PlainChicken recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Poke CakeMy Profile

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) November 21, 2013 at 5:28 pm

CHRISTMAS PREZZIE ALERT!
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted..Mashed Potato, Cheddar, and Scallion WafflesMy Profile

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain November 21, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Aimee this is one of the prettiest puppy chows I’ve ever seen! I can hear sleigh bells already. ;)
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Spicy Cornbread Chorizo StuffingMy Profile

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen November 22, 2013 at 1:48 am

Buying puppy chow at the store is SOOO wrong!!! This looks amazing!! Love the andes peppermint crunch chips!!
Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen recently posted..Salted Caramel Chocolate Cheesecake BarsMy Profile

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent November 22, 2013 at 6:53 am

Yum! I love different flavored puppy chow :) Thanks for sharing.
Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted..Turkey CookiesMy Profile

Abbie November 22, 2013 at 9:56 am

Yum! I love puppy chow – and this version looks totally delicious! I never make puppy chow for myself, though, for the exact reason that I’d probably end up eating the whole batch. Haha!
Pinning!
Abbie recently posted..raw winter spiced pear + salted cinnamon date caramel stacksMy Profile

Stephanie November 22, 2013 at 1:54 pm

This looks delicious! I need to make some of this for my husband to take to work with him!
Stephanie recently posted..Awesome Etsy Finds – Christmas Decor EditionMy Profile

Julie @ Lovely Little Kitchen November 23, 2013 at 10:32 am

Aimee, great idea! I”m thinking this would be perfect for teacher/neighbor gifts in a cute little jar decorated for Christmas.
Julie @ Lovely Little Kitchen recently posted..Cranberry Almond Brown Butter Cereal BarsMy Profile

Julie @ Table for Two November 25, 2013 at 10:09 am

I love those baking chips from Andes! I stocked up on them last year, haha – this puppy chow is so perfect for the hoildays!
Julie @ Table for Two recently posted..Slow Cooker White Turkey ChiliMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 25, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Thanks Julie! I like to stock up every year too!!

Kristen Duke December 1, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I love puppy chow and this peppermint twist sounds delicious! I will have to keep an eye out for those Andes chips before they run out!
Kristen Duke recently posted..Family Games for all AgesMy Profile

Berry December 2, 2013 at 7:53 am

Hi!
What a great idea. I hope I can find something similar for baking/making these here in The Netherlands. And I love the name: Puppy Chow. It looks like some crunchies I buy for my dog :D Love it.

Barb December 13, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I just made this and it is delicious…..my 7 yo granddaughter is going to love it. I found a bag of already chopped candy canes at Walmart, and used them……much easier and less messy. Thanks for a great recipe.

Joleen December 24, 2013 at 11:51 pm

I love puppy chow…definitely going to have to give this recipe a try! Anything peppermint is super delicious, especially during the holidays :)
Joleen recently posted..Holiday Muddy BuddiesMy Profile