Peanut Butter Buckeyes

by aimee @ shugarysweets on December 11, 2013

Classic candy from Ohio. Peanut Butter Buckeyes. Soft peanut butter filling dipped in chocolate! Be sure to make a batch for you next party!

Peanut Butter Buckeyes: a soft peanut butter filled candy famous in Ohio. Make a batch today!

I had never heard of Buckeyes until my brother moved to Ohio and married an Ohio gal. I remember the first time I saw a plate of “buckeyes” at a holiday party. They were odd looking. They looked like a Reese’s peanut butter cup, but NOT. They had toothpick marks in the center. But, ohmygosh, they tasted so amazing.

Needless to say, I got the recipe from them immediately, and have been making them for the past 8 years! It occurred to me I haven’t shared the recipe here on the blog yet!

Especially now that I live in Ohio, it’s only fitting that I share this beloved treat. Do people around the country make these? Was I the only one living under a rock?

Most Ohioans will leave the toothpick marks in the buckeye. I don’t know if that’s a trademark or laziness. But it offends me, haha! So after my buckeyes have been dipped in chocolate and all set, I pinch the toothpick mark closed. Is that wrong? Am I offending any traditional Ohio buckeye rule?

Anyways, these buckeyes are soft and tender in the middle peanut butter layer, and the crunch of the chocolate coating? Oh my! I use chocolate Candiquik to dip mine in. The original recipe called for “Chocolate and wax, mixed and melted.” Ummm, I’m assuming it’s paraffin wax, but the lack of measurements scared me. So, I went with what I know will work. And will set up beautifully. Chocolate Candiquik (or chocolate almond bark). ENJOY.

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Peanut Butter Buckeyes

Prep Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes

Yield: 4-5 dozen

Traditional Peanut Butter Buckeyes from Ohio!

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 3 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 12 oz chocolate candy coating

1. In a large mixing bowl, blend melted butter, powdered sugar, peanut butter and vanilla extract until fully combined.
  2. Scoop balls and roll them into your hands, making about a 1-1/2 inch sized ball. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and repeat until all filling is used.
  3. Refrigerate for about one hour.
  4. Melt chocolate according to package directions. Using a toothpick, dip bottoms into melted chocolate (leaving some of the peanut butter tops exposed). Place on parchment paper and allow to set.
  5. If desired, when chocolate has set, pinch the toothpick marks closed and pat until smooth. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks. ENJOY.

Notes

**Chocolate candy coating is also known as chocolate almond bark or chocolate Candiquik

Love chocolate & peanut butter?

chocolate-peanut-butter-brownies-

Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies

chocolate-chunk-peanut-butter-cookies-

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

peanutbutter-pretzel-fudge

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Fudge

Averie @ Averie Cooks December 11, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Such a classic, never get sick of these babies! Pinned :)
Averie @ Averie Cooks recently posted..Gingerbread Cookie Dough Peanut ButterMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 13, 2013 at 7:16 am

Can’t go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life December 11, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I absolutely adore buckeyes…I know that’s the “official” name but I always call them pb balls. And the holes offend me too…I always have to cover the truffles completely…and add sprinkles or chocolate drizzle. Now I’m seriously craving peanut butter!!!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Reindeer Snack CakesMy Profile

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) December 11, 2013 at 8:18 pm

lol as a native Ohio-an, I have no clue if other people know them or not. I assume the toothpick holes are laziness lol

love em!
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted..Brown Butter PastaMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 13, 2013 at 7:13 am

Whew, so glad to hear about the toothpick holes. I wasn’t sure if they were SUPPOSED to be there, LOL.

Megan - The Emotional Baker December 11, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I’ve never heard of Buckeyes (I’m from NC), but they look delicious. I think I’ll have to give them a try.
Megan – The Emotional Baker recently posted..White Chocolate Peppermint BarsMy Profile

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet December 11, 2013 at 10:27 pm

These are always one of the first things we make on our families holiday baking day! Love anything peanut butter and chocolate!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Less Laundry, More Linking #19My Profile

Caitlin December 11, 2013 at 11:35 pm

This is one of my favorite holiday treats to make. We use a higher proportion of peanut butter to powdered sugar/butter so we can’t work with it at room temperature – we make the mixture, refrigerate it, and work in small batches to roll the balls. Then we freeze the balls and dip them while they’re frozen, again in small batches. We go so far as to twirl the dipped buckeye over the double boiler until the chocolate sets so that there aren’t any “feet” (we use a different chocolate mix – 1 bag of semisweet morsels with 1/3 bar of Gulf Wax is our ratio), PLUS pinch out the toothpick hole. These treats are WORK but they are by far the most popular :)

We’re Kentuckians and to my knowledge have never had family from Ohio so we must have had a nice Ohio friend a few generations back who showed us their buckeye recipe – my thanks to them, for it’s my favorite!!

Tanya Schroeder December 12, 2013 at 6:36 am

One of the best things to come out of Ohio!! Love Buckeye’s, with toothpick holes or without!
Tanya Schroeder recently posted..Buckeye Brownie CookiesMy Profile

Renee@ Two in the Kitchen December 12, 2013 at 7:17 am

With as much as I love peanut butter and chocolate, I am surprised I have never had buckeyes before. Will have to change that. This recipe is calling my name!!!
Renee@ Two in the Kitchen recently posted..Peppermint Crunch BiscottiMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 13, 2013 at 7:08 am

Welcome to life outside of the rock, LOL!!

Sylvia December 12, 2013 at 8:15 am

I must have been under the same rock. LOL Never had buckeyes, but this recipe looks so simple I think even I can do it. Although I’m not a huge sweet lover, I do like Reeses peanut butter cups and how can you not bake sweets at Christmas. So, I’m adding these to my list of other goodies to make this holiday.
Sylvia recently posted..Mashed Potato PancakesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 13, 2013 at 7:08 am

Enjoy Sylvia!!!

Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life December 12, 2013 at 8:30 am

Buckeyes – the best dessert known to man. I love how easy they are and that they taste like a reeses filling!
Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life recently posted..Gingerbread Cookie Puppy ChowMy Profile

Sarah @ Miss CandiQuik December 12, 2013 at 8:55 am

Haha – Love these even without the “hole”, lol. These are a classic, I love how simple they are – they are definitely one of those recipes that I will be making forever!
Sarah @ Miss CandiQuik recently posted..Chocolate Bacon TrufflesMy Profile

Erin | The Law Student's Wife December 12, 2013 at 9:05 am

One of my best friends in college was from OH, and she made an enormous batch of buckeyes every year. I think of her every time I see them, and I’ve craved them every Christmas since!
Erin | The Law Student’s Wife recently posted..Apple Honey ChallahMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 13, 2013 at 7:05 am

Well now you just have to make them yourself :)

Charlotte Moore December 12, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I have made peanut butter balls for years, My husband brought the recipe hoe from someone he worked with. I was glad it would be something I would not eat because I have never liked Reeses cups. Welllll, much to my surprise I loved them. So much better than the Reeses cups. We cover the whole peanut butter ball with chocolate. My recipe has more peanut butter and sugar. Makes about 80-100 depending on the size. Also have to put in freezer to keep chilled before dipping.

aimee @ shugarysweets December 13, 2013 at 7:04 am

They are soooo good!! Love that you dip them completely in chocolate!

Melissa {Persnickety Plates} December 12, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I want to eat these! I’m in Michigan, so not far at all, but this year (in blogland) is the first that I’m hearing of these buckeyes. I think I might use those new Ghirardelli melting chips I saw at the grocery store the other day. Mmmm.
Melissa {Persnickety Plates} recently posted..Oatmeal Molasses Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 13, 2013 at 7:03 am

I love thos Ghirardelli melts too, they would be perfect for these buckeyes!!

Katie December 12, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I’m from Ohio and I make buckeyes every year at Christmas time! I never knew it was an Ohio thing…I thought everyone made them…

And the holes seriously offend me too…they just look undone so I always patch it up. My recipe originally called for paraffin wax, too, but I leave it out because it’s not something I keep on hand.
Katie recently posted..My Favorite Kitchen Things {Christmas Ideas – $20 and under}My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets December 13, 2013 at 7:01 am

Glad to know someone FROM Ohio is offended by the holes too, haha!!!!

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen December 13, 2013 at 10:20 pm

I have never had these or seen these at a party, but i do love resses so I think these might be right up my alley!

Min December 15, 2013 at 6:21 am

I didn’t realize how simple this is to make! Only 5 ingredients? I’m in! I can’t wait to make this for my brother-in-law who’s from Ohio. Have you heard of Longhorns? Now you’ve inspired me to share my recipe for the famous treat here in Austin, TX ;)

Nutmeg Nanny December 16, 2013 at 10:29 am

I am familiar with the buckeyes :) these look perfect and I am dying to have some now!
Nutmeg Nanny recently posted..Orange Cherry Oatmeal Pecan CookiesMy Profile

Stefanie December 16, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I just made these tonight and they are awesome! Do you store them in the fridge?

Maggie December 20, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I loooove me some buckeyes!

I always patch up the toothpick holes too, but they don’t offend me.
What DOES offend me is the number of people who say they cover the whole thing in chocolate… that’s blasphemous! The ‘spot’ is the part that makes it a buckeye. Anything else is… tragic. :P

It also surprised me that other people don’t know about them. As a native Ohioan, I’d never realized it was a local thing. I guess I assumed that we (as Buckeyes) were way more ‘into’ this particular dessert, but I never realized that they weren’t a common find elsewhere. Interesting!

Connie December 23, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I grew up in Michigan, right near the Ohio border. Buckeyes have been a holiday tradition for as long as I can remember. So imagine my surprise when other states I’ve lived in, they were unknown…but not for long! lol.

The recipe that I’ve always used calls for graham cracker crumbs in the peanut butter as well.

Emily | The Blonde Buckeye January 2, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Coming from someone that lived their first 25 years in Ohio, I think the toothpick mark is laziness :) My grandma left it, but my mom tries to cover hers up, and so do I. Dipping the chocolate so the edge comes right to the toothpick is an easy way to cover it up, the hole just fills with chocolate! Or I make buckeye ‘pops’, that way you just leave the stick on!

Probably one of my favorite things ever :)
Emily | The Blonde Buckeye recently posted..Cinnamon Rolls with Vanilla Bean-Cream Cheese IcingMy Profile

Lugene April 12, 2014 at 10:00 pm

My peanut butter mixture is just slightly different. I would never, ever dream of leaving the toothpick holes !!! I, too, freeze the pb balls after rolling…just long enough to harden, maybe 20 min or so. My chocolate mixture is 12oz Hershey bars with 1/2 bar of gulf wax paraffin. I have a nifty Wilton melting pot that keeps the chocolate mixture at the perfect temperature. Santa always gets Buckeyes at our house on Christmas
Eve !!!

aimee @ shugarysweets April 13, 2014 at 9:14 am

Haha, glad you cover the toothpick holes too!!