Peanut Butter Buckeyes
Classic candy from Ohio. Peanut Butter Buckeyes. Soft peanut butter filling dipped in chocolate! Be sure to make a batch for you next party!
I had never heard of Buckeyes until my brother moved to Ohio and married an Ohio gal. I remember the first time I saw a plate of “buckeyes” at a holiday party. They were odd looking. They looked like a Reese’s peanut butter cup, but NOT. They had toothpick marks in the center. But, ohmygosh, they tasted so amazing.
Needless to say, I got the recipe from them immediately, and have been making them for the past 8 years! It occurred to me I haven’t shared the recipe here on the blog yet!
Especially now that I live in Ohio, it’s only fitting that I share this beloved treat. Do people around the country make these? Was I the only one living under a rock?
Most Ohioans will leave the toothpick marks in the buckeye. I don’t know if that’s a trademark or laziness. But it offends me, haha! So after my buckeyes have been dipped in chocolate and all set, I pinch the toothpick mark closed. Is that wrong? Am I offending any traditional Ohio buckeye rule?
Anyways, these buckeyes are soft and tender in the middle peanut butter layer, and the crunch of the chocolate coating? Oh my! I use Ghirardelli Chocolate melting wafers to dip mine in. The original recipe called for “Chocolate and wax, mixed and melted.” Ummm, I’m assuming it’s paraffin wax, but the lack of measurements scared me. So, I went with what I know will work. And will set up beautifully. ENJOY.
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Peanut Butter Buckeyes
Yield: 4-5 dozen
Prep Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz chocolate candy coating (Ghirardelli melting wafers, chocolate)
- In a large mixing bowl, blend melted butter, powdered sugar, peanut butter and vanilla extract until fully combined.
- Scoop balls and roll them into your hands, making about a 1-1/2 inch sized ball. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and repeat until all filling is used.
- Refrigerate for about one hour.
- Melt chocolate according to package directions. Using a toothpick, dip bottoms into melted chocolate (leaving some of the peanut butter tops exposed). Place on parchment paper and allow to set.
- If desired, when chocolate has set, pinch the toothpick marks closed and pat until smooth. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks. ENJOY.
Love chocolate & peanut butter?
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**