Skinny Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

These Banana Chocolate Chip muffins are full of flavor, with much less fat than the traditional version. Perfect if you’re watching what you eat, but still crave delicious food!

Skinny Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are delicious and flavorful, while being light in fat and calories!

My workouts are still going strong! You may remember from instagram I made these muffins several months ago! It took so much willpower to hold off on sharing this recipe. It also took me several tries to get this recipe perfect.

I didn’t want a dense, dry, low fat muffins. I wanted a muffin that was lower in calories and fat, but still sweet and delicious!

My family LOVES muffins, and they of course expect sugary, delicious muffins from my kitchen. Can you believe no one complained when these healthier muffins were brought out for breakfast? They are so full of flavor and the texture is perfect.

The extra chocolate chips are just the sweetness these muffins need, and the bananas give great texture and moisture to these muffins! I know I’ve said it before, but baked goods with my morning coffee are such a treat. I’m not one to enjoy eggs or oatmeal, I’ve tried. So instead, I’ll enjoy these no guilt muffins with my coffee! Who’s with me?

I even made an extra batch of mini muffins. In case anyone asked! These muffins are great for the freezer too, if you want to work on portion control!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Skinny Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Yield: 18 muffins

Delicious, moist Banana muffins with Chocolate Chips. Perfect if you're watching your fat and calorie intake!

• 2 Tbsp honey
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 large bananas, mashed
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 6 oz Vanilla Greek Yogurt
  • 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate morsels

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat honey, agave nectar, egg, vanilla and banana until blended. Add flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and yogurt. Beat for 1-2 minutes until fully combined. Fold in chocolate morsels.
  2. Grease cupcake tin with nonstick baking spray. Spoon batter into each tin (about 1/4 cup). Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 18-20 minutes. For mini muffins, bake 11-13 minutes. Remove and cool on wire rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze for later use. ENJOY.

For mini muffins, recipe makes about 36 muffins.

Love Muffins? Here are a few of my favorite recipes…

Chocolate Banana Muffins...easy and delicious, full of flavor!

Pumpkin Muffins with Maple Glaze…these are so good, don’t forget the streusel on top!

Speaking of pumpkin…don’t forget to give these Skinny Pumpkin Energy bites a try!

Still looking for more muffin recipes? I’ve got you covered with my “Breakfast Table Goodies” Pinterest board!

54 Responses to “Skinny Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins”

1. posted Jan 4, 2014 at 8:54 am

I wish I knew what agave nectar was, so I could try these! I’d love to trick the kids with something healthier. I’d have them at chocolate chips.

• megan m
      posted Feb 9, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Agave nectar is often used as a vegan replacement for honey. It is simply a sweetener, you can easily substitute it with an equal amount of honey or maple syrup.

• Kelsey
      posted Feb 11, 2014 at 7:24 pm

It’s a type of sweetener, I’ve seen it at Walmart before, and there are some tea shops that carry it as well.

2. posted Jan 4, 2014 at 8:57 am

I love muffins as a quick “I-woke-up-late-and-don’t-have-time-to-eat-breakfast” (not that I’m speaking from experience or anything” or an on-the-go snack! These look fantastic. Bananas and chocolate chips is one of the classic combinations that you can never go wrong with, and I love the addition of Greek yogurt! Makes baked goods so tender and moist! Pinned! :)

3. posted Jan 4, 2014 at 10:03 am

ooooh these are the perfect breakfast! Just enough of a treat, without the guilt!

4. posted Jan 4, 2014 at 10:38 am

I like no-guilt muffins so much more, Aimee! They taste better to me when they’re full of Greek yogurt AND bananas because they’re so nice and moist without being oily or greasy. These look fantastic. :)

5. posted Jan 4, 2014 at 10:42 am

Those mini muffins are so cute! These muffins look amazing, with their domed tops and chocolate chips. I’ve been eating bananas like they are going out of style and these like the perfect way to eat them!

6. posted Jan 4, 2014 at 10:43 am

Love these so much. Eating healthy in the New Year so this a great way to keep on track!

7. posted Jan 4, 2014 at 10:59 am

These look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

8. posted Jan 4, 2014 at 12:00 pm

These muffins look really good! I love the idea of honey. They look delicious!

9. posted Jan 4, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Love the sound of these muffins! Pinned!

10. posted Jan 4, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Can beat a skinny muffin! Looks great!

11. posted Jan 4, 2014 at 3:21 pm

You know how I feel about muffins and bananas…love that these are healthy!!! They sound awesome!

12. posted Jan 4, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I am a huge fan of chocolate in bread! I also love the idea of Greek yogurt in the mix to keep things moist!

13. posted Jan 5, 2014 at 1:17 am

Aimee…I love your lightened up version of one of my favorite muffins….perfectly studded with those chocolate chips! I love baked goods for breakfast, too. And these would be a great way to start my day!

14. KatieAnne
    posted Jan 5, 2014 at 1:24 am

These look great! I’m out of agave nectar. Would 1/4 cup plain sugar work just as well?

15. posted Jan 5, 2014 at 6:39 am

I love a good chocolate chip muffin in the morning and really any time of day. It is a must to have a few healthy versions in your back pocket when you are trying to lighten thing up. I cannot wait to try this recipe.

16. posted Jan 5, 2014 at 7:24 am

Yum! I bet these are delicious. I love that the only sweeteners are honey and agave. Can’t wait to give them a try!

17. Carrie
    posted Jan 5, 2014 at 10:27 am

Can I get a calorie count for a regular size muffin? They are in the oven right now, they smell great! :) Thanks for the recipe!

18. posted Jan 5, 2014 at 1:20 pm

These look amazing Amy. I am going to try them with maple syrup. My munchkin is sugar sensitive (honey too). Agave and brown rice syrup or maple syrup would be awesome. Wish me luck.

19. posted Jan 6, 2014 at 9:17 am

They look so good. Definitely one of my favorite muffins!

20. posted Jan 6, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Soooooooo is it still healthy if I eat all the mini muffins in one sitting??

They are so tiny….I bet I’d be fine. 😉

• posted Jan 6, 2014 at 6:26 pm

You’re so cute and little you’d be totally fine :)

21. posted Jan 6, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I would not complain having one of these muffins for breakfast with a cup of coffee. They sound so good and those mini chocolate chips make them so irresistible.

22. posted Jan 6, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Skinny or not – these look fab!!

23. posted Jan 6, 2014 at 7:02 pm

These look wonderful :) I bet they taste just perfect!

24. posted Jan 6, 2014 at 8:33 pm

they sound like a great healthy breakfast!

25. posted Jan 6, 2014 at 8:44 pm

I adore skinny muffins! Great for breakfast or snacks and I love how well they freeze. These look wonderful!

26. posted Jan 7, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Skinny muffins?! Love them! I am so glad you can make basic recipes like this “skinny” and they taste just as delicious! The chocolate chips make these banana muffins look so much more sinful than they actually are!

• posted Jan 9, 2014 at 7:36 am

Thanks girl!! It took several tries to get the texture right on these, but worth every fail!!

• sherdana alexandre
        posted Mar 5, 2014 at 5:00 pm

i love this recipe

27. posted Jan 15, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Yum these sound tasty!

28. kasey
    posted Jan 28, 2014 at 9:39 am

I dont have wheat flour, will almond flour work? or if i ground up flax seed?

29. Leigh
    posted Feb 28, 2014 at 8:01 pm

These look amazing! Can’t wait to enjoy them over coffee this weekend. I may have missed this, but do you happen to have calories calculated for these bad boys? Thanks! :)

• posted Mar 2, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I don’t. But I know there are dozens of calculators on the web you can use.

• Leigh
        posted Mar 2, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Thanks Aimee. No surprise- they were delicious! For anyone else who might be curious, I clocked these at 151 calories if you make 16 muffins or 134 cals if you make 18. Thanks again!

30. Moira
    posted Mar 21, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Pinned and have all the ingredients to make these. Only thing I didn’t have was Greek Yogurt. But wanted to pick up somefresh flowers and picked up the yogurt. Not a fan of any type of yogurt, the smell alone makes me run in the opposite direction. However, by the look of this recipe I just had to try making them. In the oven as we speak and we shall see. Sure the huibby will love them!!!

31. posted Apr 1, 2014 at 11:05 pm

What is the calorie count per muffin?

32. Pingback: Skinny Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins | Tasty Dinner Recipes

33. posted Apr 14, 2014 at 10:05 pm

I’ve been craving something banana and chocolatey, but something that wouldn’t make me feel bloated after (10?!) too many servings. I tried these out today and I am officially addicted!!! So moist and fluffy, with just the right amount of sweetness. Thanks so much for the recipe!
    xo Olivia

• posted Apr 14, 2014 at 10:33 pm

I’m so glad you loved them Olivia!! Thanks for stopping back over and letting me know!!

34. Pingback: Life Lately: Baking, Plants, and Kitty Photos! | MissLivvLoves

35. Pingback: Coconut Banana Bread - Shugary Sweets

36. Pingback: Skinny Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins | Link4Food

37. Pingback: Monday Meal Plan #3- Where I Get Crazy Ambitious (Or Just Crazy) | Oatmeal Smiles

38. Pingback: Back-to-school Snack Ideas - Crunchy Creamy Sweet

39. Pingback: Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins - Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen

40. Pingback: Nutritious Breakfast Recipes | Masala Herb

41. posted Mar 9, 2015 at 9:53 am

These are delicious. I was referred by Dana @ KissMyList

I was in such a hurry that I didn’t notice that it makes 18. So I have 12 big muffins. Just as well. I was satisfied with one, whereas with a smaller one I may have eaten two. Also they were done in 23 mins. This recipe is a keeper.

• posted Mar 9, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Whoo hoo!! So glad to hear your enjoyed the muffins!!! :)

42. Pingback: Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins - Shugary Sweets