Add a little chocolate to your breakfast with a batch of easy Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins. Mini chocolate chips add a decadent touch to the soft, moist banana breakfast goodies!
Table of Contents
Why these Muffins are Best
This recipe is based on this Sour Cream Banana Bread, a loaf we’ve made over and over again because it’s just that good!
We love making muffin recipes for that quick on the go breakfast!
- Quick and easy to make.
- Packed with real banana flavor.
- They stay moist for days.
- The perfect touch of chocolate-y sweetness.
- Freezer friendly muffins!
Instead of baking bread, we folded in a generous amount of chocolate morsels and made Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins instead! Buy extra chocolate chips so you can make a batch of our chocolate chip brownies for dessert tonight!
- Ripe bananas – You’ll need a full two cups of mashed banana for this muffin recipe. If your bananas aren’t ripe yet, use this hack for ripening bananas in the oven!
- Sour cream – This adds tons of moisture and rich flavor to the muffins that sets them apart. The acidity in the sour cream also activates the baking soda, making the muffins rise.
- Cinnamon – A teaspoon brings out the sweetness in the banana and gives the muffins an even more irresistible aroma.
- Mini chocolate morsels – The small size of these chocolate chips makes them perfect for folding into muffins. If you only have regular size chocolate chips, feel free to use those instead.
Tips and Tricks
- Fold in the sour cream after the dry ingredients. The moisture will bind to the batter giving the muffins the perfect soft crumb.
- Evenly divide the batter between wells: Use a 2 -3 tablespoon cookie scoop to ensure the muffins equal in size and bake evenly.
- Top muffins with extra chocolate chips before baking. This is the pro baker’s secret to best looking banana chocolate chip muffins. And who’s going to turn down MORE chocolate in their muffins? Not me!
- Adjust baking time as needed for your pan. The muffins will bake more quickly in a darker pan with nonstick coating.
- Storing: Keep leftover Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins in an airtight container for up to 5 days. They freeze beautifully too, so feel free to make a double batch.
- Add Nuts: use our banana nut muffin recipe instead!
Stored in a freezer bag with a zip top, chocolate chip banana muffins keep well for up to 3 months.
Absolutely! Banana muffins would be delicious with milk chocolate or white chocolate chips to change up the flavor.
This recipe does not contain any nuts. If you want, you can certainly add a half cup of chopped walnuts for a delicious chocolate chip banana nut muffin.
For jumbo muffins, double the amount of batter in each well. Increase the baking time to about 28 minutes.
Yes, plain unsweetened Greek yogurt may be used as a substitute in these muffins with good results.
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ripe bananas about 2 cups mashed
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups mini chocolate chips divided
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line regular sized muffin tin with paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Add in bananas. Mix until creamy. Add in flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir just until combined. Fold in the sour cream until blended.
- Fold in 1 cup mini chocolate chips.
- Using a medium sized cookie scoop, fill each well about 2/3rds full. Top each muffin with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the tops have browned.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan.
- To fill our muffin tin, we used a medium scoop that holds about 2 ½ Tablespoons.
- Top with additional mini chocolate chips for a bakery-style look.
- Use ripe bananas for best flavor. If your bananas are still yellow or green, use this trick to ripen bananas in 20 minutes!
- For a dark, non-stick muffin pan, decrease the baking time by 1-2 minutes to prevent over-baking and browning.
- For jumbo sized muffins, we used double the amount of batter for each well. We baked 6 at a time and the baking time was about 28-30 minutes.
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins are the easiest, tastiest way to add some chocolate to your breakfast menu! Moist and packed with banana flavor, these treats are especially delicious enjoyed with a giant cup of coffee.