Chewy and delicious, these peanut butter white chocolate Avalanche Krispie Bars are a copycat of the famous bars from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. They’re even better than the original!
I’m so delighted by these bars, folks. There are two different kinds of chocolate involved in Avalanche Bark, lots of creamy peanut butter and most importantly, rice krispies.
Childish? Maybe. Delicious? Yes.
Making rice krispie treats reminds me of the days back in high school when my friend Steph and I would make a whole pan of them and eat it in one sitting.
This is totally possible with today’s dessert!
What are Avalanche Bars?
Also called avalanche bark, these upgraded Rice Krispie Treats are packed with peanut butter, chocolate chips and plenty of miniature marshmallows.
Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory is known for their giant avalanche bars.
The first time I tried Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory’s Avalanche Bark, I fell in love.
I knew I’d like it because, hello, RICE KRISPIE TREAT, but I was blown away by the rich flavor and soft chewy texture.
I tried to replicate their recipe immediately, and I am proud to say this is pretty darn close to the real thing. I’m sure their white chocolate is a little bit of a higher pay grade than mine, but hey, you gotta use what you have!
How do you make Avalanche Bark?
Unlike most Crispy treats recipes, these bars are held together not by melted marshmallows and margarine, but by an ooey gooey mixture of melted white chocolate and peanut butter.
Then, you fold marshmallows in along with chocolate chips before letting the bars set. Bliss! I’m so glad Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory introduced me to Avalanche Bars and even more glad that I figured out how to make them at home.
Pin this now to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite Board
What you’ll Need
Here’s everything you need to make Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory Avalanche Bark Bars:
- White chocolate chips
- Peanut butter – I used creamy but chunky would be good too if you like pieces of peanuts in your bars.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – Miniature morsels work best. If you only have full sized, cut them into smaller pieces before adding them to the recipe.
So simple. So good.
It takes hardly any time or effort at all to make copycat homemade Avalanche Bars. I found the hardest part was WAITING while they finished setting up in the fridge.
It’s well worth the wait. Just a half hour later, sweet and peanut buttery Avalanche bars are yours to devour!
How to Make Avalanche Bars
STEP 1. Melt the white chocolate chips and peanut butter together until creamy.
STEP 2. Fold in the rice krispies.
STEP 3. Add the marshmallows and semi-sweet morsels and stir until combined. Let the mixture cool for about 10 minutes, then lightly press it into a buttered 8 x 8 baking dish.
STEP 4. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, slice into squares and serve cold!
Anything bars you don’t eat right away keep best covered in the fridge. Be prepared for everyone to gobble these up!
Tips and Tricks
- Be gentle: Make sure to press the mixture into the pan GENTLY! The firmer you press, the firmer the finished treats will be and they may be difficult to get out of the pan
- Melting white chocolate: You can use the microwave to melt the white chocolate chips and peanut butter. Place them in a microwave safe glass bowl and zap for 30 – 45 seconds at a time, stirring between rounds until everything comes together.
- Be even: When folding the chocolate chips and marshmallows in, check to make sure they’re evenly distributed throughout the whole rice krispie mixture. That way you get all the flavors and textures of the avalanche bark in every bite!
More Easy Desserts
- Creamy and soft, this 3 ingredient easy Tiger Butter Fudge recipe is a chocolate peanut butter lover’s dream! Make a batch today in just minutes!
- My worlds have collided. This Krispie Treat Fudge is the best of both fudge and gooey marshmallow treats!
- Butterscotch Pudding Cake
- Buckeye Brownies
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Chewy and delicious, these peanut butter white chocolate Avalanche Krispie Bars are better than the original. Copycat version of Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory.
- 2 bags white chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1 cup mini chocolate chip morsels
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- Melt white chocolate chips and peanut butter together until creamy. Fold in rice krispies.
- Allow to cool to room temperature (about 10 minutes). Stir in mini morsels and mini marshmallows.
- Pour into a buttered 8x8-inch baking dish, pressing lightly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, cut into squares and serve cold. Enjoy!
**Today’s recipe Avalanche Krispie Treats was originally published on Shugary Sweets on January 25, 2011 and the photos were updated in April 2017.
These bars are so delicious that I know you won’t be able to make this Rocky Mountain Avalanche Bars recipe just once!