Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
I’m not a huge fan of kid’s snacks. Wait. Let me clarify. I’m not a huge fan of prepackaged kid’s snacks. I prefer to make the junk myself. If I’m going to give my kids nutty bars, oatmeal creme pies, chocolate chip cookies (you get the point), I want to make them.
So, over Spring Break I was visiting my really good friend Kari (HI KARI!!!). She always has magazines out on her table, and they are always of the food kind. So, as we sit over our morning coffee, we thumb through magazines and recipes, and talk. This is one of those recipes we found…granola bars!
I have never made granola before, but I see a lot of bloggers doing that. You can certainly make your own granola and use it in this recipe. I like Cascadian Farms maple nut granola cereal.
Back to the bars…these seriously took about 10 minutes to make. I let them harden for about 15 minutes in the fridge, cut them right up and started snacking. Move over Quaker, there is a new bar in town!
- 4 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey (I like less honey flavor, so used half honey, half maple syrup)
- 2 cup granola (I use Cascadian Farm Maple Nut Granola cereal)
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- ½ cup lightly salted peanuts
- ½ cup pretzel sticks, broken
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- In large saucepan, heat butter, sugar and honey over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and continue to cook about 2-3 minutes (until sugar is completely dissolved).
- Remove from heat. Add in granola, rice Krispies, peanuts and pretzels. Quickly add in chocolate chips. Press into a parchment lined 13x9 pan.
- Refrigerate for about 15-20 minutes. Cut into bars and enjoy! You can certainly substitute the chocolate chips for peanut butter morsels. Yum.
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**