Cosmic Brownie Cookies have a soft, chewy chocolate cookie base that’s topped with melted chocolate and sprinkled with colorful chocolate candies for a fun dessert! They are out of this world delicious!
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
Chocolate lovers, this cookie recipe is for you!
There are three layers of rich, chocolate goodness all rolled into one chocolate cookie treat. And the multi-colored chocolate candies on top add a pop of brightness and a bit of crunch that’s irresistible!
- The fudgy brownie cookies are made with cocoa powder AND melted chocolate chips mixed into the batter for full chocolate flavor.
- These cookies come together easily, with just 15 minutes of prep time. And no need to chill the dough!
- The puddle of chocolate ganache on top of the cookies gives them extra richness.
- Copycat Crumbl cookie recipe!
- Flour – Regular all-purpose flour is perfect for these cookies. Be sure to measure the flour correctly.
- Butter – You can use unsalted or salted butter in this recipe. Melt it in a saucepan then stir in the chocolate chips to melt them as well.
- Chocolate chips – You need 2 full cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips, half for the cookie dough batter and half for melting and topping the cookies.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – This gives the cookies their deep chocolate brownie flavor. Use a good quality brand for best results.
- Vanilla extract – Using vanilla helps enhance the chocolatey flavor in this recipe; just be sure it’s PURE vanilla extract. Try our homemade vanilla extract for best flavor.
- Rainbow chips – Rainbow chips are colored chocolate candies, NOT sprinkles. If you can’t find them, you can use mini M&M’s instead for the topping.
These cookies may look super special, but they are really simple to make!
Make the brownie cookies. First, stir together the dry ingredients. Then melt the butter and chocolate chips. Whisk together the wet ingredients, add in the chocolate mixture and then add the dry ingredients until just combined.
Bake and cool the cookies. Scoop balls, about 2 tablespoons each, onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and press down until the cookies are about 1/2 inch thick. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes then cool completely.
Top with more chocolate. Melt the chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream together and stir until smooth. Add a tablespoon to the top of each cooled cookie. Sprinkle with rainbow chips and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- Don’t overmix the batter! Once you add the dry ingredients, mix until the dry ingredients are JUST combined. Over mixing can lead to tough cookies.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper so the cookies will slide right off. Makes clean-up a breeze, too!
- Don’t over bake the cookies. They are best when they are removed from the oven before fully baked. They’ll continue to firm up as they cool but will stay nice and soft.
- Make sure the cookies are completely cooled before you add the melted chocolate topping. Otherwise, it could run off.
No, chilling the dough is not necessary for this recipe. Once the dough is made, use a 2 tablespoon scoop to scoop the dough into balls and place on the baking sheet. Be sure to use a glass to flatten them to 1/2 inch thickness.
Sure! Milk chocolate chips are a great alternative to the semi-sweet morsels if you prefer the flavor.
Store these cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature, or refrigerate for up to one week.
Yes! You can freeze these cookies for up to 3 months. Make sure to store them in an airtight freezer-safe container to keep them fresh.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cookies– THE BEST!
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Cookie Dough Cookies
- More Easy Cookie Recipes
Cosmic Brownie Cookies
For the cookies
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teasoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
For the topping
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- rainbow chocolate chips *see note
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Remove from heat. Add in chocolate chips and stir until melted. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with whisk attachment, beat eggs, vanilla, and sugar until blended and double in size. Change to a paddle attachment and slowly add the chocolate mixture to the mixing bowl.
- Once combined, add dry ingredients and mix JUST until combined using a wooden spoon. Do not over mix.
- Using a large 2 Tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop balls onto baking sheet, 3 inches apart. Using the bottom of a glass, press down so the cookies are about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- While cookies cool, make chocolate topping. Add chocolate chips and cream to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds and stir until smooth, heating in 30 second increments (mine took 1:30).
- Spoon 1 Tablespoon of chocolate on top of each cooled cookie and sprinkle with rainbow chips.
- Rainbow chips are colored chocolate candies, not sprinkles. If you can’t find them, you can use mini M&M’s instead!
- Store cookies in airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature, or refrigerate for up to one week.
- Freeze cookies for up to 3 months.