Get a taste of summer with this refreshing Pina Colada Smoothie. Packed with flavor and protein, it’s a fabulous workout recovery smoothie or poolside sipper.
Table of Contents
Why this Recipe is Best
You can serve this easy Pina Colada Smoothie as a healthy breakfast or post-workout snack OR as a healthier, non-alcoholic twist on the classic beachy cocktail. Kids love it as much as the adults!
- Healthy indulgence – Greek yogurt and unsweetened fruit give this smoothie its creamy sweet flavor.
- Protein packed – Add your favorite protein powder to make it even more satisfying.
- Nonalcoholic Pina Colada – We use rum extract to make this blended drink taste even more like the real thing!
- Refreshing and Easy – Sip this smoothie any time of year for an instant taste of the tropics.
If you love smoothies, this heartier Banana Cinnamon Roll Smoothie is the perfect way to start your day. Filled with oats and dates, it’s a great healthy breakfast.
- Vanilla Greek Yogurt – Thicker than regular yogurt, it makes the smoothie extra creamy while giving it a hint of vanilla flavor.
- Pineapple – I’ve used fresh, frozen and canned in this pineapple smoothie recipe. They all taste great, so use what is most convenient for you.
- Banana – This thickens the smoothie while adding lots of sweetness–no extra sugar required in this recipe.
- Rum flavoring – The extract mimics the rich flavor of rum in the traditional pina colada cocktail without adding alcohol. We love it in eggnog flavored recipes too.
- Protein powder – It’s totally optional but a great way to add a little more protein to your diet! I recommend a vanilla flavored protein powder here.
- Toasted coconut – Another optional ingredient! This provides a beautiful and delicious garnish for the pineapple coconut smoothie.
Yes, you can use regular yogurt in this smoothie recipe. The drink may be a little less thick but it will still taste delicious.
To toast coconut, bake it in an even layer at 375 degrees for about 5 minutes or until lightly toasted. See full instructions for this method of toasting coconut here.
You sure can! If your blender isn’t large enough, it’s so easy to just blend the Pina Colada Smoothies it in two batches.
You can use either one in this recipe! Real rum extract has a deeper more robust flavor but comes at a higher price tag. The less expensive imitation flavor works perfectly fine here, since it’s blended with so many other ingredients.
No, it does not. The rum extract brings the complex, rich flavor of rum to the beverage without the sharpness of alcohol.
- Cranberry Orange Smoothie: creamy, delicious, HEALTHY!
- Green Monster Smoothie: don’t let the color turn you off. This tastes fresh and fruity!
- Amish Friendship Bread– with starter recipe!
- Breakfast Casserole
- Banana Split Smoothie: so thick and creamy you will think it’s a milkshake. Surprise! It’s healthy.
Pina Colada Smoothie
- 6 large ice cubes
- 6 ounce vanilla flavored greek yogurt
- 1 cup pineapple frozen, fresh or canned
- 1 large banana
- ¾ teaspoon rum flavoring
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- toasted coconut and cherries for garnish optional
- protein powder optional
- In a large blender, combine ice, yogurt, pineapple, banana, rum flavoring and coconut milk. Blend until creamy! (add protein powder and blend some more, if desired)
- Pour into a large glass (or two small) and top with toasted coconut and a cherry. ENJOY
- To toast coconut, spread shredded coconut on baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 5-7 minutes, until lightly browned. Stir once during baking. Cool.
- Adjustments for frozen fruit. Frozen bananas and pineapple make the smoothie super thick and creamy. If you notice it’s too thick, add a little milk to the blender until the consistency is to your liking.
- Serving suggestions: Pour into a glass and top your smoothie with a maraschino cherry and sprinkle of toasted coconut. Pineapple wedges make a great garnish here too!
- This recipe is the perfect way to use ripened frozen bananas. If your bananas start to overripen before you can eat them all, just peel them and stash them in the freezer to use in this recipe.
- See blog post for more recipe tips and tricks.
Whether you’re lounging in a cabana or running from the gym to the office, this Pina Colada Smoothie is a perfect refreshing pick-me-up!