Jill’s Cheating Potatoes

Loaded Mashed Potatoes: easy potatoes filled with cream cheese, cheddar, bacon, onion and baked in your oven!

I call these “cheating potatoes.” No offense to my mother-in-law, Jill, but they use boxed mashed potatoes.

I remember my very first Thanksgiving dinner with my in-laws, and I remember these potatoes being brought out. Of course my first thought was….WHERE THE HECK IS THE 30lb BOWL OF POTATOES??? But of course, that’s the way my family cooks. With 30 lbs of potatoes for 6 people. And then, of course, I judged. BOXED POTATOES???? Then, I tasted. And fell in love.

In addition to adding some creaminess to the potatoes by using sour cream, I add cream cheese for some flavor and tanginess!. I also top these babies with cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions. Oh yeah, and butter.

Of course, I use 30 lbs of fresh potatoes for my Thanksgiving dinner these days. However, I like to make these cheating potatoes when I am making a meat that provides no gravy. These definitely don’t need gravy. Maybe some heart medication, but not gravy.

Jill’s Cheating Potatoes

Yield: serves 8-10

• 12 servings of instant mashed potatoes, prepared
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 4 oz. cream cheese
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed

1. Blend prepared potatoes with sour cream, cream cheese, salt, pepper and paprika. Pour potatoes into a buttered 13x9 baking dish.
  2. Sprinkle top with cheese, green onions and bacon. Place pads of butter on top.
  3. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.

20 Responses to “Jill’s Cheating Potatoes”

1. posted Nov 9, 2011 at 1:19 pm

These look great! No shame in using a box once in a while!

2. posted Nov 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm

There are just some days when a box mix comes in handy! And these are filled to the brim with yummy goodness, so who cares that it starts with a box:-) Now I can eat bacon when it is the topper like this to an amazing pan of potatoes:-)

3. posted Nov 9, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I feel like I have become a box snob but, then I taste something from a box and think what the heck that is AMAZING. This look sinful, delicious, decadent and heart medication as a side is a must. YUM!!!!

4. posted Nov 10, 2011 at 12:50 am

Wow these look perfect for us. I grew up on instant and I still love the taste. Thanks!

5. posted Nov 10, 2011 at 2:28 pm

What a great recipe! It’s also a good use of leftover mashed potatoes. You could make this into individual dishes, if you dont have alot of mashed potato’s. Love this recipe!

6. posted Nov 13, 2011 at 6:20 pm

These look so amazing!! Great photo! And your writing, as always, is so entertaining. Your personality is perfect for this kind of thing. Always enjoy your posts. And recipes!!

7. posted Nov 13, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Carol, you are too sweet. Thank you!

8. patrisha
    posted Jul 21, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I have been making this dish for many years so easy and my family loves them… bonus.. NO LUMPS IN THE POTATOES!! :)

9. ET
    posted Sep 27, 2013 at 8:58 pm

May I ask what you mean by a serving of mashed potatoes prepared? I am afraid I don’t understand and that is the main part. It looks so good!

• posted Sep 28, 2013 at 6:50 pm

ET, it just means “prepared as directed”, in other words, make them the way the box tells you to, then follow these directions to continue the recipe. :)

The recipe looks great, and I’ll be making it soon. :) Thanks for sharing it!

10. posted Nov 4, 2013 at 9:26 pm

OMG my husband will love this! Thanks so much for the yummy recipe!! xx

11. BitsyBet
    posted Nov 9, 2013 at 10:37 am

Since my daughters don’t care for stuffing, Jill’s Cheating Potatoes will be on my Thanksgiving table. They’ll save me the time of peeling and boiling the potatoes, too.

12. Connie
    posted Dec 6, 2013 at 8:21 pm

try these with Pearl’s potatoes and they taste 100% homemade. My family couldn”t figure it out they never saw me boil potatoes.

13. Pingback: Foodies Network » Loaded Mashed Potatoes

14. Joyce
    posted Jun 3, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Do I prepare the instant potatoes as directed? And then add the cream cheese and sour cream etc.?

15. posted Jun 26, 2014 at 11:12 am

I confess that I have my food snob moments too, but when it comes to mashed potatoes, I think the boxed variety are better than badly prepared real ones. The creaminess. Oh, the creaminess. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

16. Pingback: Loaded Potato Salad - Shugary Sweets

17. Pingback: Everything you Need for Thanksgiving Dinner with Printable Checklist