Triple Chip Revel Bars

by aimee @ shugarysweets on November 15, 2012

These beautiful chocolate bars were made for dessert not too long ago. One of the first cookbooks I ever owned is the Red Checkered Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. I got it as a wedding present (no idea from who) over 17 years ago! (<—I know, I can’t believe I’ve been married over 17 years!)

This cookbook is a great tool for any home. I use it often as a starting point for many dinners. It’s one of the few cookbooks I actually use! Most of the time, I just use the internet. But there is something old fashioned and comforting about pulling out a cookbook. Don’t ya think?

Anyways, I found a recipe in there for Chocolate Revel Bars and instead of completely following directions, I changed it up. By adding more chocolate (and butterscotch), of course!

Do you have a favorite cookbook that you use as a standby? Or do you use the internet? Or, are you just an amazing cook who can throw things together from scratch?

If you enjoyed these Triple Chip Revel Bars, you may also enjoy these recipes….

Butterscotch Marshmallow Bars: deliciously gooey and rich bars filled with butterscotch, marshmallow, and chocolate! by Shugary Sweets

Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies: chocolate chip cookies with…you guessed it…three types of chips! by Sweet Anna’s

Chocolate Revel Bars: the online recipe source for the original recipe for Revel Bars! by Better Homes and Gardens

Triple Chip Revel Bars

Oatmeal cookie bars with butterscotch, dark chocolate and milk chocolate filling! ENJOY!

• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (Divided)
  • 2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla extgract
  • 2 cup all purposed flour
  • 3 cup quick cook oats
  • 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
  • 3/4 cup butterscotch morsels
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips

1. Beat all but 2 Tbsp of softened butter with brown sugar. Add baking soda, eggs and vanilla extract, beat until combined. Add flour and oats.
  2. In a small pan, heat the milk over low, stirring constantly. Add in butter and all the morsels. Continue to stir on low heat until everything is melted and smooth. Remove.
  3. Press 2/3 of the dough into bottom of an ungreased 15x10 baking sheet. Keep pressing with your fingertips, it all fits, honest! Pour chocolate sauce over dough, spreading evening. Drop remaining dough by teaspoon over chocolate sauce.
  4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-28 minutes. Cool and cut into bars. ENJOY!

Linked To:  Chic and Crafty  I’m Lovin It  Potluck  Sweet Treats  Wrap Up  Sundae Scoop  Crazy Sweet

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust November 15, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I have that same cookbook – I got it for myself as soon as I got married because my mom had it and I’d used it my whole life! It’s such a great one. Now, my go to cookbook is Pinterest, lol. And, my blogger friends. :) These are awesome bars! Great for the holidays!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake PieMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 16, 2012 at 7:37 am

I wonder if cook books are still given as wedding gifts? There is something nostalgic about a classic though…

Carole@ The Sweet Chick November 15, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Wow! The picture looks amazing and the bars look finger licking good. I usually use the internet for my recipes. It is faster and easier to find recipes.
Carole@ The Sweet Chick recently posted..Chocolate Ginger CookiesMy Profile

Averie @ Averie Cooks November 15, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I made a skillet cookie kind of like this! Except it had peanut butter in it, too. The sweetened cond milk + oats is SUCH A good combo. And love all those chips you use – triple is good. :)
Averie @ Averie Cooks recently posted..ChallahMy Profile

Jenn November 15, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Yum – pinned!
Jenn recently posted..Loaded Sweet PotatoMy Profile

Julie @ Table for Two November 15, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I love how much chocolate is in this and the condensed milk added in this makes it sound so decadent!! How I wish I could grab a bar right now!
Julie @ Table for Two recently posted..Caramelized Onion, Mushroom, Apple & Gruyere BitesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 16, 2012 at 7:38 am

How I wish I had some left to grab!! haha!

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl November 15, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I have that same Betty Crocker cookbook and it is still one of my favorites. I love these bars–especially with the butterscotch chips. YUM.
Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl recently posted..Cherry Cordial CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 16, 2012 at 7:38 am

Thanks Ashley! I try to sneak butterscotch in every change I get. LOVE it!

Rachel @ I Love My Disorganized Life November 15, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I need these. Like NOW. I swear they would last maybe 1/2 a day in my house. And that’s just with the kids eating them.
Rachel @ I Love My Disorganized Life recently posted..S’more Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

Karyn - Pint Sized Baker November 15, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Those look WONDERFUL!! I’ll trade you my Chocolate Shortbread Pumpkin Malt Ball Bars for these. Mmmmm! And yes, I love my older cookbooks.
Karyn – Pint Sized Baker recently posted..Little Debbie Gingerbread Truffles + GiveawayMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 16, 2012 at 7:39 am

I need to find those Pumpkin Malt Balls. Stat!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life November 16, 2012 at 9:46 am

I have that cookbook too…from a wedding shower:-) There a few recipes in it that I always use! Love that you added more chocolate and butterscotch to this awesome bar!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Reeses TurkeysMy Profile

Mandie @ Oh So Decadent November 16, 2012 at 11:12 am

Ugh, these look so delicious! Why do I not have a pan waiting for me here so I can scarf them down?

I agree with you on the whole cookbook thing. I recently pulled mine out when my power was out and completely forgot how wonderful it is to cook from a cookbook. I miss it. We should all do it more.

sally @ sallys baking addiction November 16, 2012 at 11:50 am

i love everything about these aimee! i’ve never made revel bars and actually did not know what they were until recently! i obviously LOVE the butterscotch added in ;)
sally @ sallys baking addiction recently posted..chocolate fudge cookies with candy cane buttercream.My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 16, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Butterscotch makes everything better. Right?

Liz November 16, 2012 at 12:17 pm

For Christmas baking I usually ask my mom for all of her recipes as they bring back so many childhood memories. I’m not the kind of person to just whip something up from the top of my head. You bars look delicious, love all the chocolate!
Liz recently posted..Coconut, Oatmeal, Raisin, Chocolate Bar CookiesMy Profile

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel November 16, 2012 at 1:26 pm

These bars look oh so decadent, Aimee! I have that cookbook too and LOVE it!
Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel recently posted..Apple Pie Poptart FudgeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 16, 2012 at 7:47 pm

It is a classic in my opinion! Thanks for stopping by Hayley!

Erin @ Wholly Delicious Dishes November 16, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Gosh, I really really love chocolate. These look SO good, wish I could have one like right now! Cookbooks are my fav but I seem to be using the internet more and more.
Erin @ Wholly Delicious Dishes recently posted..Cinnamon Spiced Pot RoastMy Profile

tanya November 16, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Man I love revel bars, so easy and so good! Love the butterscotch chips in these! My go to place for recipes has been the internet with the exception of my King Arthur baking cook book!

aimee @ shugarysweets November 17, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I LOVE King Arthur’s cookbook!! Thanks for stopping by Tanya!

Aya B. November 17, 2012 at 5:18 am

Amazing
I love how you added the oats to the recipe
amazing…
Aya B. recently posted..Festive Brownie (low fat)My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 17, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Thanks Aya, it’s a pretty amazing bar!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) November 17, 2012 at 11:19 am

Sooo yummy! There aren’t words for how delectable these treats look!
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted..Something Saturdays (11/17/12)My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 17, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Awww, thanks Kayle! Wish I had some left to share!

Britni November 17, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Oh how I have missed stopping by your blog! And I am LOVING your new site by the way! This looks absolutely delicious. And seriously, my butt, it’s getting bigger as I drool over all your yummy pictures :)
Britni recently posted..Clothespin Slinky PumpkinsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 17, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Hi Britni! So glad you stopped over! Sorry about your butt size ;)

Kerry November 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Yes, yes, and yes!! Will be making these (in addition to your cake!!)… We’ll be married 17 yrs next summer. Goes soooooo fast, I know!
Kerry recently posted..Insta-Friday {on Saturday}My Profile

Cathy @ Noble Pig November 18, 2012 at 12:55 am

Mercy.

Annalisa November 22, 2012 at 2:16 am

I used to make these bars all the time when I was a kid! The summer before middle school, my best friend used to have sleepovers at ny house almost every night, and we would make these bars. Our version was butterscotch chips, milk chocolate chips, and chopped pecans instead of dark chocolate. They were so good!

Anonymous April 12, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Aimee, what if I don’t have that large a pan? Can this be made in s smaller quantity?
Hillary Weisberg

Carrie May 16, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Hi, I just want to let you know that it’s absolutely delicious. I’ve been making revel bars for a year now and my mom extremely loved this recipe. She was able to finish a whole pan in 3 days! Thank you!

Lisa May 31, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I have that same cookbook, except mine is much older than 17 years and got it as a wedding gift as well. I love using it and it’s probably one of two that I do…the other is one that I bought from some college kid selling them (door-to-door) and I was a sucker for it. The buying pitch was…it had over 1,000 chicken recipes! haha! I will have to look at my Better Homes and see if this recipe is in it. Yes, I do believe these bars will be made soon and feel confident I will be using the elliptical twice as much!
Lisa recently posted..Spaghetti with Grilled Chicken and TomatoesMy Profile

Ilona Paper Passion September 18, 2013 at 10:51 pm

I pinned it and I will definitely make them!

Julie @ Lovely Little Kitchen January 8, 2014 at 12:14 pm

I’m thinking these are the perfect after school treat! Yum!
Julie @ Lovely Little Kitchen recently posted..Greek Yogurt BiscuitsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 9, 2014 at 7:31 am

Yes indeed!!

betty isaac September 12, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I got a Betty Crocker cook book in 1958 when I got married, Everything I learned to cook came from that book, it is in pieces but I still look things up sometimes. I keep saying should buy a new one. Loved that book. Revel cookies are the best.

aimee @ shugarysweets September 13, 2014 at 7:45 am

That’s so awesome. Sometimes when a cookbook is done right, there’s no need to replace it. Betty Crocker did it right!

nance October 24, 2014 at 5:41 pm

This is a recipe I have been looking for 26 years. I lived and played very competitive sports, games and natural sibling rivalry tumbles. I found solace in my best friend’s mom’s kitchen. Her snickerdoodles and deviled eggs are burned into my memory. Thank you for this pumpkin recipe. It warms my heart and soul.