Gouda Bacon Macaroni and Cheese

by aimee @ shugarysweets on March 29, 2013

Nothing says comfort food like homemade Macaroni and Cheese! The gouda adds a creamy tang while the bacon adds a nice salty, smoked flavor! Try this at your next family dinner!

Gouda Bacon Macaroni and Cheese: comfort food that kids and grownups will LOVE #macandcheese @shugarysweets

So this has been a crazy week here at Shugary Sweets! Spring Break has started today and we are heading home to visit family. I find it only fitting that I share this new macaroni and cheese recipe.

A couple years ago I shared THIS delicious mac and cheese, claiming it was the best ever! This new version is based off that original recipe! Which makes this the “even Better” mac and cheese!

I started by changing out the cheese. My husband and I love gouda. In this recipe I used a combination of smoked gouda and sharp cheddar! I realized when I was in the middle of making this recipe, I had no Ritz crackers. My last recipe called for topping it with crackers. So instead I took a few slices of bread and processed them to a fine crumb in my food processor. I added butter and mixed it with a fork. I think you will love this version too! Oh, and then there’s bacon on top. Not a lot, but just enough that each serving has a few sprinkles!

I hope you enjoy this NEW macaroni and cheese recipe! What’s YOUR favorite comfort food?

Don’t miss a single recipe: connect with Shugary Sweets!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin’

Gouda Bacon Macaroni and Cheese

Yield: serves 10-12

• 16oz elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
  • 4 Tbsp butter
  • 2 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • 2 tsp worcestershire
  • 1lb smoked gouda cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 5 slices bread (about 2cups crumbs)
  • 3 Tbsp butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled

1. Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Set aside.
  2. In large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add skim milk and bring to near boiling. Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle in flour. Whisk vigorously over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Mixture should be thick and boiling. Slowly add cream, while whisking. Add in salt, pepper, mustard and worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and continue to stir for about 5 minutes.
  3. In food processor, shred Gouda and Cheddar cheese. Add to pot, stir until thoroughly combined.
  4. Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture. Pour into a 13x9 dish.
  5. In same food processor bowl (no need to wash it after shredding the cheese), process 5 slices of bread to a fine crumb. Add melted butter. Sprinkle over macaroni. Top with crumbled bacon.
  6. Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.ENJOY!

**Shugary Sweets changed to a new server this week! Did you miss me? My new host, SERVINT, is wonderful, the best customer service out there! And my website is super fast thanks to them!

tanya March 29, 2013 at 9:03 am

Can’t go wrong with Gouda-my favorite cheese for mac and cheese! Looks very comforting and very delicious!
tanya recently posted..Strawberry Tomato BruschettaMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 29, 2013 at 10:34 pm

This was my first time using it in mac and cheese. Normally I just eat the whole chunk of cheese plain :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Gouda Bacon Macaroni and CheeseMy Profile

Julie @ Table for Two March 29, 2013 at 9:19 am

holy wow – this looks incredible!!!
Julie @ Table for Two recently posted..Easy 15-Minute Miso SoupMy Profile

Kalamity Kelli March 29, 2013 at 9:37 am

YUM! This looks so great – and Gouda is my favorite!!
Kalamity Kelli recently posted..Rainbow Bundt Cake plus bonus Peeps!My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 29, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Yeah, mine too :)

Jen @JuanitasCocina March 29, 2013 at 9:40 am

Gouda…you had me at gouda.
Jen @JuanitasCocina recently posted..Asian Fried Quinoa from “Guy Fieri Food” ~ March #PassTheCookbookClub!My Profile

Cassie | Bake Your Day March 29, 2013 at 9:42 am

Holy cow, girl, I am drooling over this at 8:42am. I love it and wish I had a bowl for breakfast!
Cassie | Bake Your Day recently posted..Cinnamon Sugar Cinnamon Chip DonutsMy Profile

Audra | The Baker Chick March 29, 2013 at 10:25 am

You have no idea how good this sounds to me right now. Gouda is my all-time favorite cheese. Gorgeous pics too!
Audra | The Baker Chick recently posted..ParisMy Profile

Eva @ Eva Bakes March 29, 2013 at 10:48 am

My tummy just rumbled. It’s hungry after reading this post, even though it’s not even close to lunchtime yet!
Eva @ Eva Bakes recently posted..Chinese “pineapple” (bolo) custard buns 菠蘿包My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 29, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Sorry bout that ;)

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie March 29, 2013 at 10:49 am

Oh god I’m on a smoked gouda kick right now. Totally drooling over this.
Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie recently posted..Strawberry Stuffed CupcakesMy Profile

Erin @ Texanerin Baking March 29, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Okay. I’m going to have to try this smoked gouda stuff and try gouda in the US. I use it here in Germany for mac and cheese, but it always yields a pretty weird consistency. Definitely not like yours! And bacon and carbs. It’s like, the best thing ever. This looks amazing!
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Whole Wheat Espresso Chocolate Chip SconesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 29, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Thanks Erin! Hmmm, I never think about how ingredients vary per country. Gouda is DEFINITELY NOT weird :)

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry March 29, 2013 at 1:54 pm

This mac and cheese sounds like pure comfort food at its finest! Have a good time visiting family.
Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry recently posted..Chocolate Coconut Matzo ToffeeMy Profile

Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations March 29, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Yummy! Bacon and cheese are awesome on top of pretty much anything!
Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations recently posted..Salted Dark Chocolate FudgeMy Profile

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) March 29, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Ooooh so amazing! Mac n cheese can be delicious in so many different variations :D
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted..Spinach and Garlic Mashed PotatoesMy Profile

Jenn March 29, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Mac & Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. I love it with bacon!
Jenn recently posted..Banana Cereal TreatsMy Profile

carrian March 29, 2013 at 5:03 pm

oh my lands!!! This is totally craveable.
carrian recently posted..Ham Hock SoupMy Profile

marcie@flavor the moments March 29, 2013 at 8:23 pm

This looks crazy good, Aimee! Bacon in mac & cheese is always good, and gouda makes it sound even better!
marcie@flavor the moments recently posted..Focaccia Bread PizzaMy Profile

Shiloh Barkley March 29, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I know you di-int!
Shiloh Barkley recently posted..Blueberry Danish CakeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 29, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Yep. I did. And it was great :)

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama March 30, 2013 at 9:40 am

Yes yes yes! I love gouda and bacon together. You really can’t go wrong!
Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama recently posted..Whole Wheat Carrot Cake Pancakes with Cream Cheese SyrupMy Profile

Shea @ Dixie Chik Cooks March 30, 2013 at 10:22 am

Oh, what a fabulous combination – looks delicious!
Shea @ Dixie Chik Cooks recently posted..My Big Fat Greek BurgerMy Profile

Jess @ OnSugarMountain March 30, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I’m literally ALWAYS in the mood for mac and cheese. And bacon. And I guess food in general. :O Buttttt gouda sounds like a lovely switcheroo and I’m totes trying this ASAP :D
Jess @ OnSugarMountain recently posted..White Chocolate Lemon BiscottiMy Profile

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet March 30, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I am in need of some serious comfort food, it has been a rough few days! Happy Easter and safe travels!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Starfish Cream CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 31, 2013 at 8:02 am

Oh Nancy, hope this go a little smoother for you this week :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com March 31, 2013 at 12:45 am

Delicious comfort food!!
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Lemongrass Egg CurryMy Profile

Nutmeg Nanny April 1, 2013 at 12:04 am

Gouda and bacon, oh my goodness. This is heavenly, it looks so delicious!

Wendy April 1, 2013 at 10:04 am

Is their anything more soothing than macaroni and cheese? This gourmet version of creamy gouda and crunchy topping looks fantastic!
Wendy recently posted..3-2-1 Magic Mug CakeMy Profile

Ari @ Ari's Menu April 1, 2013 at 11:02 am

OMG. Like, seriously? No words. Just want to eat.
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Baked Pickle ChipsMy Profile

Betsy April 1, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Ugh, I’m sick right now and even though soup is supposed to be sick food, I think this mac and cheese would REALLY be comforting.
Betsy recently posted..No Bake Peanut Butter Energy BitesMy Profile

PapaLos @ The Man, The Chef, The Dad April 1, 2013 at 9:30 pm

All I could do as I read this was shake my head. And as I read on, my head shaking got wider and wider..

It sounds freaking amazing! Mac n cheese is my favorite comfort food. I was deprived as a young Puerto Rican kid since my mom never cooked southern food. But that all changed when my southern raised wife introduced me to all its glory.

With mac n cheese being my favorite comfort food… gouda being one of my favorite cheeses… and bacon being my in-home mistress.. This thing HAS to be made.
PapaLos @ The Man, The Chef, The Dad recently posted..A Pie of Ice and FireMy Profile

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life April 2, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I would even eat bacon for a plate of this ;-) It looks amazing!!!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Cheddar Jack & Bacon Meatball SlidersMy Profile

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats April 2, 2013 at 11:34 pm

holy moly this keeps grabbing my attention over and over again! It sounds so heavenly!!
Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats recently posted..Banana Waffles with Peanut Butter Maple SyrupMy Profile

Anonymous April 4, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Thank you!

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen April 5, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Your macaroni and cheese sounds so delicious and comforting, I can’t wait to try this recipe!
Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen recently posted..Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream FrostingMy Profile

Anita at Hungry Couple April 8, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Total yum! Ever since the first time I made Gouda mac, we haven’t had any interest in another kind. Now, if I add bacon… :)
Anita at Hungry Couple recently posted..Bacon, Egg and Cheese TartMy Profile

Jena May 6, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I finally made this last night and oh my gosh was it good! So decadent and creamy! Wonderful recipe!

Emma May 7, 2013 at 5:11 am

About to make this for the second time tonight. It’s already become a family favourite.

aimee @ shugarysweets May 7, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Emma, so glad you love the recipe! Thanks for the feedback :)

Cassandra June 4, 2013 at 9:36 am

I can’t wait to try this! Unfortunately I’m currently stationed at a military base over seas and we don’t have gouda here (which is my favorite cheese!) I did some research and saw that i could substitute muenster cheese (which they DO have at my commisary) so I’ll be trying this with muenster this weekend :)

danielle June 4, 2013 at 6:37 pm

This is cooking in the oven right now. Can’t wait to try it!

Liarae June 30, 2013 at 12:49 am

That looks and sounds divine! I must make this soon!

Darlene July 9, 2013 at 3:59 pm

OMG! I saw the title of and started giggling like at fool (at work) cause it something i HAVE to make, soon.

a July 14, 2013 at 7:47 pm

This website is great e13ad0f26fff3933bfcc7c3db3f495cc
a recently posted..-My Profile

carrian July 18, 2013 at 9:18 am

yessssss! Love gouda!
carrian recently posted..Brazilian Coconut RiceMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets July 18, 2013 at 5:40 pm

It’s soo goooooud-a.

Ali B. July 20, 2013 at 9:21 am

I made this for the second time this weekend. Last time I had the gouda at room temperature when I added it and it melted just fine. This time it still melted eventually, but it took FOREVER. Next time I’ll be sure to take it out of the fridge an hour before I need to use it.

Karina July 24, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I’m 26 years old and have very recently decided to ditch the microwaveable meals and teach myself how to cook. It has been quite the overwhelming experience as I am not accustomed to epically failing in any of my endeavors.

Pinterest has been my digital cookbook and I have been on the brink of tears after my last few attempts at making something worth eating and worth sharing on Instagram. How is it possible to be sooo awful at something that seems so easy? I had almost given up hope and found myself lingering in the frozen food isle when I came upon this recipe and decided to give this cooking thing one more chance.

Oh, my, GOSH. I did it. I actually did it. Not only did your recipe turn out EXACTLY like your pictures but it was HEAVENLY. As I was cooking, I did not realize that the recipe yielded enough for 10 to 12 people, so my boyfriend and I took all of the extra food to work this morning and I am now the talk of the labor-hood. Comments such as, “oh my gosh, I neeeeed that recipe” to “girl, I can even taste the love you put in to this” have been pouring my way.

Cheesy (put indeeded) as this may sound, it was the self-esteem boost I needed to no longer feel defeated and feel confident in the kitchen. I have been pinning some of your other recipes and I can’t wait to make them this week!

Thank you for posting this! You saved me from defeat and saved my boyfriend from eating more In-n-Out and Chipotle for dinner.

aimee @ shugarysweets July 24, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Hooray!!! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe! Yeah, it makes a ton of mac and cheese!! So happy you found a place to share.

erin July 28, 2013 at 8:33 am

this is the second tome making this,[for a baby shower today] …..the first time i didn’t ‘see’ smoked gouda so i added smokey paprika ….was wonderful !!! ‘momma’ requested this for today, so pleased that it was an easy recipe and so much flavor,….thank you, thank you , thank you!!!!!!!!

Darlene July 29, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I made this for dinner last night and it was everything I hoped it would be. It was so delicious that I had to force myself to not eat all of it. Next time I make it I’m going to add some bacon to the noodles and cheese and cut back a little on the bread crumbs. I used bread crumbs and thought the 1 1/2 cups was a little too much.

aimee @ shugarysweets July 29, 2013 at 1:31 pm

So glad you enjoyed the recipe. It’s hard to stop eating! thanks for all the feedback Darlene!

Melody September 13, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I noticed you used skim milk and then heavy cream. Have you tried using say half and half to lighten it up a little more? I was just curious since I’m always looking for extra ways to lighten things up a little more without compromising the finished product of course. :)

Audrey September 20, 2013 at 12:30 pm

This sounds amazing! I’m looking for a version of mac & cheese that I could bake in muffin tins, making little individual “finger foods.” Do you think this would work?

Tracy October 1, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I made this today for my family and it is just wonderful! I did not change a thing and my husband ( who is a big mac & cheese guy) was in Heaven:) Not something we could have on a regular basis but as a Holiday or just need a comfort food this will be high on the list!

aimee @ shugarysweets October 1, 2013 at 9:15 pm

So glad to hear you loved the mac and cheese!!! Thanks so much for stopping back and letting me know :)

Stephanie @ Stephanie's Az kitchen November 15, 2013 at 12:28 am

Haven’t made it but it looks really good. Adding it to my thanksgiving menu. It seems like the kind of recipe I do ahead but to the last step and reheat in the oven before serving.
Stephanie @ Stephanie’s Az kitchen recently posted..Slow Cooker Spicy Pumpkin-Apple ChiliMy Profile

Jessa November 18, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I love gouda in my M&C and I am going to make this while my family is in town for the holidays! It looks fantastic!
Jessa recently posted..Geometric Christmas TreeMy Profile

Christine (CookTheStory) November 18, 2013 at 10:10 pm

My family loves macaroni and cheese too. It’s always interesting to see how creative it can be. I like the smoked Gouda addition.
Christine (CookTheStory) recently posted..Sweet Petite French Roasted Onions RecipeMy Profile

Debbie @ Deb Runs November 25, 2013 at 8:14 pm

My son asked for mac ‘n cheese as a side dish for Thanksgiving dinner. I think I just found it! Thanks! :-)
Debbie @ Deb Runs recently posted..JFK 50-Mile RecapMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 26, 2013 at 7:36 am

I think you’re going to LOVE this recipe!! ENJOY and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Maria December 21, 2013 at 11:00 am

This was AMAZING! Replacing the old family recipe with this one. I used a truffle gouda and aged white cheddar and omitted bacon (bacon was in another dish that evening, so didn’t want to over do it). Used panko instead of bread because I was out of bread. Even though I didn’t totally stick to the recipe, the roux to cheese to pasta ratios were right on so even with some variances you can’t go wrong. Everyone raved about it!

Maria December 21, 2013 at 11:02 am

Oh, I forgot to mention, I used cavatappi nooodles. I have seen this in high-end restaurants and with the pricey cheese I wanted it to seem “oo-la-la” with fancy noodles. It was great!

aimee @ shugarysweets December 22, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Sounds delicious, glad you enjoyed the base recipe!!

Anonymous February 13, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Is this okay to freeze and enjoy later? Thanks! Looks delish

Laura April 15, 2014 at 6:25 am

I’ve recently discovered just how fantastic Gouda is so I can’t wait to make this dish!
Laura recently posted..Monster CookiesMy Profile

Anonymous April 19, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Totally creamy and tasty, but don’t put bacon on top, it burns, mix it into before cooking.