Turtle Cheeseball

by aimee @ shugarysweets on November 25, 2013

An easy, sweet Turtle Cheeseball recipe with caramel, pecans and chocolate chips! A great dip to serve with apples, animal crackers or grahams.

Turtle Cheeseball: caramel, pecans and chocolate chips around a sweet cheeseball

So, in case you don’t live in the US, Thanksgiving is this week. You may be overwhelmed with all our turkey talk. But I’ve got a non holiday recipe for you.

Well, non holiday in there is no theme. Except DELICIOUS!

Whenever we entertain I love to serve a combination of salty and sweet treats. And while guacamole, jalapeno dip, and queso are all delicious choices, sometimes, a sweet dip is equally important.

I find myself taking bites of chips, then of this sweet cheeseball, and back to chips again. It really is a vicious cycle!

But a delicious, vicious cycle (ha, I love to rhyme)!

Today’s recipe is easy to put together. You can make it the day before if you’d like. Mix all your ingredients together. I drop the entire bowl of cheeseball onto a piece of plastic wrap. I wrap the plastic around it and shape it into a cheeseball. Then refrigerate this ball for about an hour. Unwrap and roll it into a bowl filled with your toppings, pressing them into the ball gently. Rewrap your cheeseball into a new piece of plastic wrap. Keep wrapped until ready to serve!

Enjoy this with pretzels, apples, animal crackers and of course it’s great spread onto graham crackers too!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Turtle Cheeseball

Prep Time: 1 hour

Yield: serves 8-10

A delicious and easy sweet cheeseball recipe with caramel, chocolate and pecans!

• 1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 Tbsp caramel sauce (I used caramel ice cream topping)
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp light brown sugar, packed
  • 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/4 cup caramel bits (I used Kraft)

1. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with butter until fully blended. Add caramel sauce and sugar and beat until combined. Add 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips.
  2. Lay a large piece of plastic wrap on counter. Drop cheeseball onto plastic wrap and cover cheeseball completely. Once covered, shape into a ball. Refrigerate for one hour.
  3. In a bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips, pecans and caramel bits. Unwrap cheeseball and roll into bowl of chocolate chip mixture. Press toppings gently into the cheeseball. Rewrap in plastic wrap (a new piece) and refrigerate until ready to serve! ENJOY.

Notes

If you can't find the Kraft Caramel Bits, you can use Werther's caramels or Kraft Caramels and chop them up!

Looking for more “CHEESEBALL” ideas?

Cheeseball

Beef and Onion Cheeseball

chocolate-chip-toffee-dip-3

Toffee Chocolate Chip Cheeseball: can use any holiday sprinkles!!!

reeses dip

Reese’s Cookie Dough Dip. No description necessary!

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet November 25, 2013 at 1:31 pm

So I am thinking I need to add this to my holiday appetizer list! I have never had a sweet cheese ball before and this looks amazing!!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Chocolate Pecan PieMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 25, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Never? Oh, girl, you MUST add this to your list :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Turtle CheeseballMy Profile

Melissa November 25, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Your Turtle Cheeseball recipe sounds amazing!
Thanks for sharing all of the recipes!
Melissa recently posted..Review – “The Christmas Quilt” by Vannetta Chapman — Quilts of Love KINDLE FIRE HDX Giveaway & “Christmas Bee” Facebook Party 12/10!My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 25, 2013 at 7:49 pm

You’re welcome! Glad you are enjoying them Melissa!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Turtle CheeseballMy Profile

Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life November 25, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I saw this on Pinterest and about fell out of my chair. This sounds beyond amazing! I can totally see me dipping my way through the entire thing! Everything about this sounds delicious. Pinning!

aimee @ shugarysweets November 25, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Thanks for pinning Mary Frances!!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Turtle CheeseballMy Profile

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust November 25, 2013 at 7:38 pm

This is gorgeous Aimee!

Rochelle @ Oh So Sweet Baker November 25, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I want this like right now!!
Rochelle @ Oh So Sweet Baker recently posted..Gingerbread Pretzels + Video TutorialMy Profile

Nikki November 25, 2013 at 8:28 pm

What do you suggest to use to dip into the cheese ball? This will be the first one I’ve ever made and served! I’m really excited to make it at my inlaws for new years.
Nikki recently posted..2013 RecapMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 26, 2013 at 7:35 am

graham crackers, apples, nilla wafers, animal crackers, teddy grahams, pretzels….a spoon!

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction November 25, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I know my family would love to snack on this! So good!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction recently posted..Lighter Maple Pecan Sweet PotatoesMy Profile

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life November 25, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion that I would devour that entire cheese ball before anyone else even had a chance! Yum!!!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Time to Sparkle #37My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 26, 2013 at 7:34 am

Oh please, you and you’re clean eating! This is NOT on the approved list ;)

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent November 25, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I bet this cheese ball is delicious! Love having an appetizer to snack on while waiting for dinner :)
Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted..Turkey TetrazziniMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 26, 2013 at 7:34 am

Yeah, you’re not alone :)

Heather @ French Press November 25, 2013 at 10:27 pm

who doesn’t love a cheeseball :) and turtles are a favorite in our house
Heather @ French Press recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Creme BruleeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 26, 2013 at 7:28 am

Thanks Heather! Turtles and cheeseballs were meant to unite!

Stephanie @ PlainChicken November 25, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Definitely have to give this a try! I love all the flavors in this. Perfect snack for Thanksgiving.
Stephanie @ PlainChicken recently posted..Pull-Apart Pizza {Football Friday}My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 26, 2013 at 7:27 am

Yeah, it’s a great treat to have for the weekend. Just wrap it up if it’s not finished and serve it the next day!! I sometimes squish it back into a ball too :)

janice nowak November 25, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Can’t wait to make this cheeseball for the holidays! But the graham crackers shown in the picture, where can I find this kind? All we seem to have around my neck of the woods are the usual box of rectangles. Thanks for the recipe and the name of the crackers!!

aimee @ shugarysweets November 26, 2013 at 7:26 am

Hi Janice, those are graham sticks. I’m not sure which brand makes them! Teddy Grahams would also be a fun “dipper” or Nilla wafers too!! ENJOY!

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen November 26, 2013 at 2:13 am

I have never had a cheeseball- I think I need to change that! This would be the recipe to– all that caramel and chocolate and cream cheese… HEAVEN!!
Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen recently posted..Boozy Chocolate TartMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 26, 2013 at 7:25 am

Yes. This should be your introduction to cheeseballs :) Have a great week!!

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain November 26, 2013 at 9:17 am

soooo….what happens if I eat this entire cheeseball on my own? Will I then turn into a cheeseball as well?

I guess it’s a risk I’ll have to take! :D
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Pumpkin Carrot Cake CupcakesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 27, 2013 at 7:46 am

Hmmm, is that a trick question? :)

Abbie November 26, 2013 at 4:07 pm

This is like the definition of fabulous party food. I love this idea!
Pinning. :)
Abbie recently posted..chocolate frosted bakery-style buttermilk doughnuts with rainbow sprinkles (gluten-free)My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets November 27, 2013 at 7:44 am

Thank you Abbie for pinning!

Melissa November 28, 2013 at 11:00 am

I made this for Thanksgiving today. I cannot wait to have my family try it. I doubled the recipe and it made a HUGE batch – I will admit, about 1/4th of it was left at home! :) It is AMAZING!

Nutmeg Nanny November 29, 2013 at 2:37 pm

This looks perfect! It would be gone in minutes at the thanksgiving feast we had ;)
Nutmeg Nanny recently posted..Sweet Cider Ginger CocktailMy Profile

Erin | The Emerging Foodie November 29, 2013 at 11:22 pm

This is absolutely genius! It looks incredible! I have a feeling it would be gone in a snap!
Erin | The Emerging Foodie recently posted..Peppermint Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor December 7, 2013 at 1:25 am

Delicious!!

Kristen Duke December 9, 2013 at 9:25 pm

This looks gorgeous and sounds delicious! I think I will be adding a sweet cheese ball to our holiday menu this year!
Kristen Duke recently posted..What’s on my MindMy Profile

Julie December 13, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Can’t wait to try this!

Charisa December 19, 2013 at 9:39 am

Are those hazelnuts I see along with the pecans and chocolate chips? Looks amazing! Thank you for sharing. Making this for Christmas!

Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff December 28, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I HAD to pin, save and drool over this cheeseball … then my hubby looked over my should and saw your Peanut Butter Cookie Dip … had to save and pin that recipe too! Now I must share my new finds :) Thank you!
Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff recently posted..Bubbly Cupcakes in Silver and GoldMy Profile

Amy February 1, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I am considering making this but freezing a small ball of hot fudge first, then building the cheese ball around that? So it has a fudgey center. Of course I am considering doing that when (a) I have never even made the basic cheeseball and (b) it’s for a baby shower with dozens of people. May be a recipe for disaster! We’ll see!

aimee @ shugarysweets February 2, 2014 at 8:12 am

Oh!! That sounds like a fun idea, be sure to let me know how it turns out!!!

Tabatha March 12, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I can not seem to get the cheeseball firm. Any suggestions?

Anonymous March 13, 2014 at 10:13 pm

I had the same problem. Suggestions?

amber April 18, 2014 at 8:59 pm

i had same problem too!

Anonymous April 18, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Since I couldn’t get it firm I made it into a dip! It was amazing!

aimee @ shugarysweets April 20, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Hmmm, others have had that problem as well. Glad you enjoyed it as a dip :)

amber April 18, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Wouldn’t recommend this. Couldn’t get the cheeseball firm. Others had this problem too

Alice June 30, 2014 at 11:20 am

I made the Turtle Cheeseball for my all girls weekend fun at the lake and it was a great BIG hit!
Thanks so much for sharing.