Sweet Potato Fries

by aimee @ shugarysweets on January 29, 2014

Crunchy Roasted Sweet Potato Fries with a spicy kick! Don’t forget to pair this with a sweet and spicy Cinnamon dipping sauce!

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

Roasted Sweet Potato Fries with sweet and spicy Cinnamon dip

I’m not sure when Sweet Potato Fries were created, but I’m so glad they were! I love going out to eat and ordering them at nearly every restaurant!

Last fall I went to a cousin’s wedding in New York and ate the most amazing sweet potato fries ever. Prior to this dining experience I had been eating them dipped in ketchup, you know, like a regular fry.

But here, they served them with a super sweet and creamy Cinnamon dip. Oh yes please.

Roasted Sweet Potato Fries with sweet and spicy Cinnamon dip

I came home from that weekend and had been craving these fries for months. No matter where we ate I always tried some in hopes that they would taste similar. No luck. I finally tried making them at home in December.

I’ve had this delicious recipe to share with you for some time now! Sadly, last week I went back to New York for my Aunt’s funeral. Besides spending some quality time with family, I had the opportunity to try those fries again. I’m happy to report “I nailed it.”

Roasted Sweet Potato Fries with sweet and spicy Cinnamon dip

My dip is a little lighter, since I used Greek Yogurt as the base. I’m pretty sure the one they serve is made with cream cheese. I loved it, but am quite happy at keeping this recipe a bit on the healthy side! I also added a little red pepper to the dip, so while it’s sweet it also has a hint of spicy!

As for the fries, feel free to adjust the red pepper to your liking. The amount listed is enough to taste a nice zing in each bite, but not too much that children (or spice weanies) won’t eat.

Also, I like my fries crispy. I roast mine a few minutes longer, so the edges are super browned! Adjust the baking time for your preference!

This is one side dish you won’t feel guilty in serving your family this New Year! ENJOY!

Roasted Sweet Potato Fries with sweet and spicy Cinnamon dip

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Sweet Potato Fries

Yield: serves 3-4

Spicy roasted sweet potato fries with a creamy Cinnamon dipping sauce.

For the Fries:
  • 2 large sweet potatoes, washed
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • pinch crushed red pepper flakes
  • For the Cinnamon dip:
  • 6oz plain greek yogurt
  • 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • pinch red pepper flakes

1. Slice sweet potatoes lengthwise (with skin on) into long strips. The smaller they are the sliced, the crispier they will cook. In a large bowl toss the sweet potato strips with olive oil and seasonings.
  2. Place on a large baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a 450 degree oven. Turn every 15 minutes. Mine cooked up crispy in 45 minutes.
  3. While the potatoes are cooking, blend the dip ingredients together until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve!
  4. Serve the fries warm with the cool dip. ENJOY.

Love Sweet Potatoes? This Sausage, Spinach and Sweet potato soup may have some bad pictures, but it tastes amazing!!!

soup-1

Check out my Pinterest Boards for more delicious recipe ideas!

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet January 29, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I pick sweet potatoes over white ones any day! These look like something I need to make and ASAP!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Watermelon SmoothieMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 30, 2014 at 1:19 pm

You should totally try making them at home!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..100+ Valentine’s Day DessertsMy Profile

Emily @ Life on Food January 29, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I truly love sweet potato fries and get some whenever I can. I am looking forward to trying this dip.
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..Corn Dog BitesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 30, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Thanks Emily, I hope you love it :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..100+ Valentine’s Day DessertsMy Profile

Erin | The Law Student's Wife January 29, 2014 at 7:02 pm

We are in my personal last-meal territory. I have an sweet potato fry fixation (I order them everywhere too), but have never gone the cinnamon route for my dips. Great idea Aimee!
Erin | The Law Student’s Wife recently posted..Buffalo Chicken PizzaMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 30, 2014 at 1:36 pm

You crack me up :) You must try the cinnamon route….trusssttttt meeeee….
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..100+ Valentine’s Day DessertsMy Profile

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life January 29, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I do love a good sweet potato french fry! And dipped in a healthy cinnamon spicy yogurt dip? Hello, goodness! This sounds like something I need to eat ASAP!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Strawberry 3 Musketeers FudgeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 30, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Come for lunch, come for lunch!!!!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..100+ Valentine’s Day DessertsMy Profile

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent January 30, 2014 at 6:24 am

Love sweet potato fries, but have never had them with a sweet dip. Genius idea! Love how you made them a “liitle” healthier for you as well.
Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted..Honey Mustard WingsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 30, 2014 at 1:39 pm

The healthier I make them, the more I can eat :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..100+ Valentine’s Day DessertsMy Profile

Katherines Corner January 30, 2014 at 7:57 am

Two yums (thumbs) up for this deliciousness! I hope you will share it at my blog hop today Hugs
Katherines Corner recently posted..Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop 123My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 30, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Thanks for the vote of approval :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..100+ Valentine’s Day DessertsMy Profile

Anna (Hidden Ponies) January 30, 2014 at 9:14 am

We looove sweet potato fries and yours look so good – I love how crispy they are and I would’ve never thought of a cinnamon yogurt dip, what a great idea!
Anna (Hidden Ponies) recently posted..Baked Ham & White Bean TaquitosMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 30, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Thanks Anna!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..100+ Valentine’s Day DessertsMy Profile

Sylvia January 30, 2014 at 9:20 am

I’m so sorry to hear about the passing of your Aunt. Always hard to lose those we love.

I have a sweet potato just waiting for me to eat it. I think I will be trying your recipe. Although my husband is not a fan of sweet potatoes, he loves fries and especially if they’re crisp. If it weren’t for the darn orange color, I might be able to fool him. LOL I love the spicy touch too. May even add a little more.
Sylvia recently posted..Beef and Black Bean Enchilada CasseroleMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 30, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Thank you Sylvia (ironically, that’s my Aunt’s name!!). Good luck with convincing your husband to LOVE these!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..100+ Valentine’s Day DessertsMy Profile

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction January 30, 2014 at 10:18 am

There’s a local restaurant that serves their sweet potato fries with a cinnamon dip! Can’t wait to try this!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction recently posted..Jalapeno Popper Stuffed PretzelsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 30, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Thanks Jessica, I think that restaurant is super smart :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..100+ Valentine’s Day DessertsMy Profile

Anna @ Garnish with Lemon January 30, 2014 at 11:49 am

I’m a big fan of sweet and savory flavor combos, so these fries and dipping sauce have my name written all over them! Is it lunchtime yet??
Anna @ Garnish with Lemon recently posted..Chocolate Raspberry Truffle BrowniesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 30, 2014 at 1:42 pm

It’s Noon somewhere :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..100+ Valentine’s Day DessertsMy Profile

Marcie@Flavorthemoments January 30, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Sweet potato fries are my favorite, and I love the sound of that Greek yogurt dip! These look incredibly delicious!
Marcie@Flavorthemoments recently posted..Hearty Vegetarian Beer ChiliMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 30, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Thanks Marcie, I hope you give it a try :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..100+ Valentine’s Day DessertsMy Profile

Sheila @ Sweet Baked Life January 30, 2014 at 10:02 pm

All I can say is, “I want some”. I wish my family liked sweet potatoes, oh well, I guess that means more for me!!!
Sheila @ Sweet Baked Life recently posted..Spinach and Cheddar StrataMy Profile

Mary Frances January 31, 2014 at 10:58 am

I have recently fell head over heels for sweet potatoes. These “fries” look great! I really like the sweetness of the potatoes and then the salt. And that sauce – I think I found something else to fall for! :)

Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar January 31, 2014 at 11:08 am

Those are the most perfect looking sweet potato fries! And that dip sounds fantastic! Pinned!
Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar recently posted..Reese’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie CakeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets January 31, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Thanks for pinning Lindsay!

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain January 31, 2014 at 11:31 am

Well I just found my new favorite snack! Trying this this weekend for sure! :D
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Chai Latte Breakfast SmoothieMy Profile

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor January 31, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Oh I LOVE Sweet Potato Pies…and these look FANTASTIC! :)

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor January 31, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Fries…I meant FRIES!! Although, I love Sweet Potato Pies, too.

Lyuba@willcookforsmiles February 1, 2014 at 10:06 am

Sweet potato fries is the only way I eat sweet potatoes :) I know it’s odd but otherwise I can’t get over the sweetness. This fries sound so tasty!
Lyuba@willcookforsmiles recently posted..Show Stopper Saturday Link Party, Featuring Delicious SoupsMy Profile

Trish - Mom On Timeout February 2, 2014 at 1:48 pm

I think my boys would go for these especially with that awesome dip!
Trish – Mom On Timeout recently posted..Share the Love $600 VISA Gift Card Giveaway!My Profile

Tonia February 3, 2014 at 9:39 am

Ohhhh…it’s been way too long since I had sweet potato fries! Those look delicious!
Tonia recently posted..Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie BarsMy Profile

Kristen Duke February 3, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I’ve had sweet potato fries before but never with cinnamon dip! I need to try this out soon!
Kristen Duke recently posted..Decorating with Pictures at The White Buffalo Styling Co.My Profile

Nutmeg Nanny February 4, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I never say no to sweet potato fries :) these look delightful!!
Nutmeg Nanny recently posted..Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed ChickenMy Profile