Crunchy Roasted Sweet Potato Fries with a spicy kick! Don’t forget to pair this with a sweet and spicy Cinnamon dipping sauce!
I’m not sure when Sweet Potato Fries were created, but I’m so glad they were!
I love going out to eat and ordering them at nearly every restaurant!
Last fall I went to a cousin’s wedding in New York and ate the most amazing sweet potato fries ever. Prior to this dining experience I had been eating them dipped in ketchup, you know, like a regular french fry.
I’d also had them with other usual suspects like hot sauce and even ranch dressing. Never had I thought to create a dip specifically meant to be eaten with sweet potatoes.
But at this restaurant I visitied, they served their sweet potato fries with a super sweet and creamy Cinnamon dip.
Oh ,yes please. The crispy sweet potatoes dipped into that magical sauce were so good I had to constantly remind myself to eat the other parts of my meal, too!
I came home from that weekend and had been craving these fries for months. No matter where we ate I always tried some in hopes that they would taste similar.
No luck. I finally tried making oven baked sweet potato fries at home recently, with my own take on cinnamon sauce on the side.
They did not disappoint. These fries came out crispy with browned crunchy edges! Seasoned with garlic, paprika and red pepper, these fries were an immediate hit with my family too.
Sweet Potato Dipping Sauce
I did make one change to my homemade Cinnamon Dip. I’m pretty sure the restaurant used cream cheese in theirs.
My dip is a little lighter, since I used Greek Yogurt as the base. As much as I loved the cream cheese version, I am quite happy at keeping this recipe a bit on the healthy side!
With less saturated fat and a similar creamy texture, the Greek yogurt would beautifully. I didn’t miss the cream cheese one bit.
I also wanted a little spicy with my sweet, so I added a bit of red pepper to the sauce. It’s just the right amount of kick!
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries
Here’s what you need to make oven baked sweet potato fries:
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Red pepper flakes
- Garlic powder
STEP 1. Slice sweet potatoes lengthwise (with skin on) into long strips. The smaller they are the sliced, the crispier they will cook. In a large bowl toss the sweet potato strips with olive oil and seasonings.
STEP 2. Place on a large baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a 450 degree oven. Turn every 15 minutes. Mine cooked up crispy in 45 minutes.
While the sweet potato fries are roasting, make the cinnamon dip.
For the cinnamon dip you need:
- Greek yogurt
- Powdered sugar
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
Make the dip by blending all the ingredients together until smooth and combined. Keep the dip in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
When the fries are ready, serve them with a generous helping of the sweet and spicy cinnamon dip on the side! The hot crispy fries dipped in cool creamy sauce is irresistible.
Pin this now to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite Board
Tips and Tricks
- Feel free to adjust the red pepper in the sweet potato fries recipe to your liking. The amount listed is enough to taste a nice zing in each bite, but not too much that children (or spice wimps) won’t eat it.
- If you like your fries extra crisp like me, roast a few minutes longer, so the edges are super browned! Adjust the baking time for your preference!
This is one side dish your whole family will love! Sweet potato fries with cinnamon dip would also make a great appetizer or party snack.
You won’t be able to eat just one of these delicious sweet potato fries!
More Side Dishes
- Loaded Potato Salad – my favorite with all the fixings!
- Oven Baked Mashed Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Potato Salad
- Mashed Potatoes- Instant Pot
- Turkey Taco Potato Boats – delicious DINNER idea!
Crunchy Roasted Sweet Potato Fries with a spicy kick! Don't forget to pair this with a sweet and spicy Cinnamon dipping sauce!
For the Fries:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, washed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
For the Cinnamon dip:
- 6oz plain greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Slice sweet potatoes lengthwise (with skin on) into long strips. The smaller they are the sliced, the crispier they will cook. In a large bowl toss the sweet potato strips with olive oil and seasonings.
- Place on a large baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a 450 degree oven. Turn every 15 minutes. Mine cooked up crispy in 45 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, blend the dip ingredients together until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve!
- Serve the fries warm with the cool dip. ENJOY.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 339mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 6g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.