Almond Pesto Salmon

by aimee @ shugarysweets on February 27, 2014

A delicious, heart healthy meal that not only is beautiful but tastes amazing. Oh, did I mention this Almond Pesto Salmon is also super easy to make?

**today’s recipe is part of an ongoing relationship with Fisher Nuts**

Flaky baked salmon recipe with basil pesto and almonds. So easy and delicious! #thinkfisher

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

It took me a long time to learn how to make fish. I mean, sure, anyone can throw some frozen fish in the oven, bake and eat.

But I’m talking about restaurant quality, melt in your mouth, delicious fish.

Today’s salmon recipe is just that. It’s one of my favorite (if not my VERY favorite) seafood recipe I’ve shared on the blog. I know. I don’t say “favorite” or “Best” lightly. Because I know you all trust me, I don’t want to throw it around like candy.

Many of you may think my family eats sugar and cupcakes every day. But while we rarely skip dessert, we also eat lots of healthy food too. I try to serve fish once a week in our house. We devour fruits and veggies like there’s no tomorrow. I really should live on a farm given the amount of fresh produce we eat.

However, creating a salmon recipe that is not only amazing but heart healthy was my goal for this recipe. Of all fish, salmon is by far our favorite. Of all nuts, almonds are by far my favorite. And Fisher nuts are so easy to find in their blue bags!

Did you know several studies have reported on the nutritional value of nuts and that they contain higher amounts of mono- and poly- unsaturated (good) fats and lower amounts of saturated (bad) fats. Nuts can also be excellent sources of important vitamins and minerals, such as the antioxidant vitamin E.

I love grabbing a handful of almonds as an afternoon snack. It’s enough fats and protein to keep me satisfied until dinner!

Add those nuts to some salmon fillets and a bed of spinach and you’ve got one amazing meal.

I used Fisher sliced almonds for this recipe. Prior to mixing them with the panko crumbs, I gave them a rough chop with my knife. I LOVE the texture the sliced almonds give to the crust, and the nutty flavor is perfect. I also used store bought basil pesto, but you can easily make your own if you prefer (here’s my favorite recipe).

Connect with Fisher Nuts:

website | facebook | pinterest

Almond Pesto Salmon

Yield: serves 6

Delicious baked salmon with basil pesto and almonds. Heart healthy too!

• 1 3/4 lb salmon fillets
  • 3/4 cup sliced almonds, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup crispy panko breadcrumbs
  • 1 cup basil pesto

1. Turn oven on broiler.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the chopped, sliced almonds with the panko crumbs. Set aside.
  3. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Lightly spray with olive oil. Place each salmon fillet on the foil lined baking sheet, leaving an inch between pieces. If your salmon has skin, you can remove it first, or place the salmon skin side down on the baking sheet. Spread the top of the salmon with basil pesto, evenly distributing the pesto to each piece of salmon. Take a handful of the almond/crumb mixture and press it onto each salmon fillet. Use all of the mixture.
  4. Lightly spray the tops of the almond crusted salmon with olive oil spray.
  5. Broil in MIDDLE rack of oven for about 7 minutes. Move oven rack to top and broil an additional 2 minutes. Salmon should flake with a fork. Depending on the thickness of your fillets, you may need to add or subtract baking time.

What is YOUR favorite way to eat salmon? How do you incorporate heart healthy Fisher Nuts into your everyday snacks?

13-FS-0118-WBB5-Heartcheck-V2R1

**This is a sponsored post on behalf of Fisher Nuts. I was compensated for my time, however all opinions expressed are 100% my own!

Averie @ Averie Cooks February 27, 2014 at 7:04 am

I bet that topping is heavenly!! And if you’re throwing around ‘best’ it’s gotta be so good!
Averie @ Averie Cooks recently posted..Cinnamon Spice Applesauce Bread with Honey ButterMy Profile

Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron February 27, 2014 at 8:57 am

I LOVE almonds!! What a fun way to top a salmon!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life February 27, 2014 at 9:13 am

What a great way to use those heart healthy nuts!!! If you say it’s the best, I trust you!!!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana CakeMy Profile

marcie February 27, 2014 at 9:52 am

I love making fish because it’s so quick and versatile. This combination sounds great, Aimee! This would be a nice way to change up salmon. :)
marcie recently posted..Mixed Berry Pomegranate SorbetMy Profile

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking February 27, 2014 at 12:30 pm

What a fabulous idea for salmon! So easy, too!
Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking recently posted..Greek Pita PizzasMy Profile

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet.com February 27, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Salmon is one of my favorite types of fish to eat! Love how it just flakes when cooked properly! The nuts make this extra special!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet.com recently posted..Lucky Sugar Cookies (Luck of the Irish Week Day#2)My Profile

Tanya February 27, 2014 at 1:31 pm

I have been craving salmon lately! This looks so good.
Tanya recently posted..Keys to Attracting Top TalentMy Profile

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen February 27, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Salon + Pesto are two of my all time favorites so together with those almonds must be amazing. One of my favorite restaurants does a salmon with pesto but those almonds on top I bet add such fabulous texture!!
Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen recently posted..Cookie Butter Oat Butterscotch CookiesMy Profile

Mary Frances February 27, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Why have I never seen pesto with salmon before? This is perfect! Love love love!
Mary Frances recently posted..Pear and Toffee GaletteMy Profile

Kelly February 28, 2014 at 6:52 am

This looks wonderful Aimee! I love salmon and am always looking for new ways to make it. It sounds awesome with the pesto and all those crunchy almonds :) Pinning to try :)
Kelly recently posted..Cheese Ravioli with a Skinny Sun-Dried Tomato Alfredo SauceMy Profile

Ashton February 28, 2014 at 2:01 pm

My SIL is going to FREAK over this recipe! She’s a total salmon nut, and this looks SO GOOD! Pinned!
Ashton recently posted..Thin Mint ShortbreadMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 2, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Thanks Ashton! Hope she enjoys the recipe (thanks for pinning)!

Holly @ Coconutheadsurvivalguide February 28, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Hi Aimee – I am in a 12-step program for pesto. As in… seriously addicted. Hubby had an intervention and banned it from dinners for the next month he is so sick of me making it. But as soon as the ban is lifted… first dinner cooked! Pinned! Hugs, Holly
Holly @ Coconutheadsurvivalguide recently posted..Frumptastic to Fashionista in the Same OutfitMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 2, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Thanks for pinning. This comment seriously had me chuckling!! Here’s hoping you get some pesto soon :)

Anonymous November 30, 2014 at 4:39 pm

How do you make pesto or do you buy it..?

David @ CookingChat March 1, 2014 at 8:37 am

This does look awesome! Unfortunately my salmon loving son has a nut allergy…but maybe I can make him the version I just blogged about while trying this out for us grownups some time!
David @ CookingChat recently posted..Simple Pan Seared Salmon with Soy Ginger MarinadeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 2, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Yes, you must try it (when he is not around of course)! Thanks for stopping over!

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain March 1, 2014 at 4:07 pm

….can you just come cook dinner for me please? I can pay in a combination of muffins and mildly funny jokes. I NEED THIS SALMON IN MY LIFE, AIMEE! :)
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Southwest RisottoMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 2, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Sure! I love muffins and funny jokes :)

Nutmeg Nanny March 4, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Yum!! What a delicious way to cook salmon, it looks amazing :)
Nutmeg Nanny recently posted..Salted Caramel Guinness BrowniesMy Profile

Mariana @The Candid Kitchen March 10, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Gotta give it to you…fish always looks like an easy thing to get it right…but it does take some skill!

aimee @ shugarysweets March 10, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Thanks Mariana!!

Holly @ Coconutheadsurvivalguide March 26, 2014 at 10:54 am

Hi Aimee – I’m eating leftovers for lunch and had to double back to tell you that the “pesto ban” in the house is over and I made this last night for dinner and OH WOW is it good. Mine didn’t look as nice as yours, and I broiled it about 30 seconds longer than I should have, but with a little practice it will be perfection. The taste is amazing. I love all of the flavors together. Thanks again! I love all of your creations. Hugs, Holly
Holly @ Coconutheadsurvivalguide recently posted..Measuring Cup OrganizationMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 26, 2014 at 11:11 am

Haha, love that your pesto ban has been lifted!! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe Holly! Thanks for stopping back over and letting me know!