Coconut Pudding Cake

One of the easiest cakes to make! The pudding added to the top of the warm cake makes this so moist and delicious. Add some Cool Whip and toasted coconut and this Coconut Pudding Cake will be gone in no time!

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

Coconut Pudding Poke Cake...easy and delicious. EVERYONE LOVES this cake!

It’s true. I don’t use cake mixes very often. Making a cake from scratch is SO easy, and I always have the ingredients on hand.

But a couple weeks ago I was cleaning out my pantry and found a box of Duncan Hines French vanilla Cake mix. Every once in a while I’ll grab a few boxes from the store and keep them in my pantry. You never know when they might come in handy.

Anyways, when I found the box of mix I immediately knew I wanted to make a poke cake. Poke Cakes seem to be all the rage lately. You’ll see them popping on Pinterest every time you log in. No joke.  If you’ve never made a poke cake before, you’ll be shocked how many varieties there are out there! Some recipes call for sweetened condensed milk, some call for gelatin, and some call for pudding.

Coconut Pudding Poke Cake...easy and delicious. EVERYONE LOVES this cake!

Today’s recipe is a pudding version. I paired the French Vanilla Cake with a box of Instant Coconut Cream Pudding. And, because I can eat it like candy, I toasted up some sweetened, shredded coconut for garnish.

Why did I go with a boxed cake? Couple reasons…

Coconut Pudding Poke Cake...easy and delicious. EVERYONE LOVES this cake!

1. I know many of you LOVE the convenience. Love the price. Love the flavor.
  2. I had one in my pantry that needed to be used.
  3. But most importantly, I’m dealing with a broken dishwasher and wanted to limit the amount of dishes I needed for this recipe. #foodbloggerproblems

Oh, and there’s this wonderful holiday this weekend, EASTER, that needs to be celebrated. And a delicious Coconut Pudding Cake is the perfect way to impress your family and friends, and still enjoy the holiday without stressing about your menu. You can even make this cake the night before! ENJOY!

Coconut Pudding Poke Cake...easy and delicious. EVERYONE LOVES this cake!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Coconut Pudding Cake

Prep Time: 3 hours

Yield: serves 15-18

• 1 box French Vanilla cake, plus ingredients to make according to package
  • 1 package (3.4oz) instant coconut cream pudding mix
  • 2 cup milk
  • 12oz Cool Whip
  • 1 cup toasted coconut

1. Prepare cake in a 13x9 according to package directions. Remove from oven and poke holes all over cake using the handle of a wooden spoon or a wooden skewer.
  2. In a mixing bowl, whip together the pudding mix and milk. Immediately pour over warm cake, using a spatula to spread it. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours (or overnight).
  3. When ready to serve, top with Cool whip and toasted coconut. Serve and enjoy!

Notes

**If you can't find French Vanilla (I use Duncan Hines), you can use any brand White Cake Mix, prepare according to package **To toast coconut, spread sweetened, shredded coconut on a baking sheet. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 8 minutes, stirring every couple minutes, being careful not to burn it.

Coconut Pudding Poke Cake...easy and delicious. EVERYONE LOVES this cake!

LOVE Poke Cakes? Here are a few of my favorites….

strawberry-jello-poke-cake-1-685x1024

Strawberry JELL-O Poke Cake…a delicious gelatin version, so refreshing and tasty!

banana-caramel-poke-cake-1-685x1024

Banana Caramel Poke Cake

trifle

JELL-O Cheesecake Trifle…perfect for a summer BBQ

Be sure to follow my DESSERTS board on Pinterest!

Follow Shugary Sweets’s board ***Desserts- sweets & treats*** on Pinterest.

A few more POKE CAKES from some of my favorite blogs:

34 Responses to “Coconut Pudding Cake”

1. posted Apr 19, 2014 at 11:40 am

I can SEE how moist and springy this baby is! Pinned

2. posted Apr 19, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Oh my gosh, a broken dishwasher would be my worst nightmare! I feel your pain. I love this Coconut Pudding Cake! The French vanilla box mix sounds like a perfect addition! I hope you have a wonderful Easter with your family!

• posted Apr 20, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Thank you! I loved the French Vanilla with this cake, although yellow or white would have been great choices too! Happy Easter to you too :)

3. posted Apr 19, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Oooo, I think I have a box of Duncan Hines yellow cake mix somewhere in the pantry! Yummm, I’ve got to try this cake!
    Thank you for the shout-out!!

4. posted Apr 19, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I never had Coconut Pudding Cake, It looks real good and looking at the ingredients and the Instructions don’t look to hard to make, The Poke Cake Strawberry,Banana Caramel Cake, The Jell-o cheesecake all look like delicious desserts.

5. posted Apr 20, 2014 at 7:09 am

This looks so good and delicious. It reminds me of something that would be served after church and the recipe would be found in the old school cookbook. Lovin’ it!

6. posted Apr 20, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Oooooh so creamy and coconutty and yummy!!!

7. posted Apr 20, 2014 at 10:00 pm

I have yet to make a poke cake, and I believe that needs to change. I adore coconut. This looks so moist. Pinned!

• posted Apr 21, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I definitely think that needs to change! Thanks for pinning Jennie!

8. posted Apr 21, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Oh man broken dishwasher is the worst. >_< But I love this poke cake! Yay for coconut, yay for poke cake, yay for less dishes to clean!

9. posted Apr 22, 2014 at 8:08 am

Oh no, sorry to hear about your broken dishwasher Aimee – that’s no fun. This cake is seriously amazing though! I love all the coconut action in this cake – I am obsessed with anything coconut so this cake needs to happen – pinning :)

10. posted Apr 23, 2014 at 8:59 am

Get well soon dishwasher – you are a food bloggers best friend!
    Actually, I take that back, this cake is looking like my new best friend. You had me at coconut. And then pudding. So so good! Pinned!

11. Pingback: Foodies Network » Coconut Pudding Cake

12. Pingback: Lemon Poke Cake - Shugary Sweets

13. Pingback: Coconut Pudding Cake - Shugary Sweets - Celebrity Chefs TV | Celebrity Chefs TV

14. deena
    posted May 27, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Thank you for the recipe. It looks yummy.i have to try it just wondering from where you get the instant coconut pudding.never seen in the Canadian store.

15. deena
    posted May 28, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Thank you for your response. I found one.but in the package they said we have to boil the budding mixture with the milk until thiken.but you said in your recipe to just mix them and pour th directly on the hot cake? Which one I have to follow please

16. Pingback: Coconut Pudding Cake | Link4Food

17. Pingback: Coconut Cream Fruit Dip

18. posted Jul 5, 2014 at 4:35 pm

This looks so good and delicious ! Thank you for the recipe

19. Pingback: Sewing Machine Quilt! Trailer Applique! The Blanket Stitch! Pizza Warmer! Crochet Necklace! Rag Dolls! Fabric Ornaments! PLUS . . . Recipes, Jokes, Art, Design & Memories! | Mark Lipinski's Blog

20. Pingback: Apple Pie Poke Cake - Shugary Sweets

21. posted Jan 9, 2015 at 11:28 am

This looks yummy, but I ve never seen coconut pudding, where do you find it?

22. posted Jan 9, 2015 at 11:59 am

Thank,you. Will check Walmart. We don’t have the other place. but will try and see if I can find a healthy alternative to the pudding. Know I can find a vanilla cake in whole foods. And might try to use the coconut milk cool whip, though cool whip is my one unhealthy guilty pleasure. :)

23. Jadee
    posted Jun 19, 2015 at 3:02 pm

This cake has “SUMMER” written all over it !!….. I had a cake recipe similar to this where a yellow cake mix was used (baked according to the box), along with canned Pineapple bits ( only used about 1/2 can- drained ) was added to the coconut pudding mix, then the instant coconut/pineapple pudding was added on top of the chilled poke cake (push some of the pineapple bits down into the holes), chilled for a 3-4 hours (or overnight) then topped with that fabulous Cool Whip topping and toasted coconut on top….YUMMM makes my mouth water just thinking about it….. so if you like pineapple and coconut, then this one is for you 😛 …yes please

• posted Jun 21, 2015 at 11:41 am

Yummy, I have a very similar recipe coming to the blog in the next couple weeks, for cupcakes :)