Coconut Pudding Cake

by aimee @ shugarysweets on April 19, 2014

One of the easiest cakes to make! The pudding added to the top of the warm cake makes this so moist and delicious. Add some Cool Whip and toasted coconut and this Coconut Pudding Cake will be gone in no time!

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

Coconut Pudding Poke Cake...easy and delicious. EVERYONE LOVES this cake!

It’s true. I don’t use cake mixes very often. Making a cake from scratch is SO easy, and I always have the ingredients on hand.

But a couple weeks ago I was cleaning out my pantry and found a box of Duncan Hines French vanilla Cake mix. Every once in a while I’ll grab a few boxes from the store and keep them in my pantry. You never know when they might come in handy.

Anyways, when I found the box of mix I immediately knew I wanted to make a poke cake. Poke Cakes seem to be all the rage lately. You’ll see them popping on Pinterest every time you log in. No joke.  If you’ve never made a poke cake before, you’ll be shocked how many varieties there are out there! Some recipes call for sweetened condensed milk, some call for gelatin, and some call for pudding.

Coconut Pudding Poke Cake...easy and delicious. EVERYONE LOVES this cake!

Today’s recipe is a pudding version. I paired the French Vanilla Cake with a box of Instant Coconut Cream Pudding. And, because I can eat it like candy, I toasted up some sweetened, shredded coconut for garnish.

Why did I go with a boxed cake? Couple reasons…

Coconut Pudding Poke Cake...easy and delicious. EVERYONE LOVES this cake!

1. I know many of you LOVE the convenience. Love the price. Love the flavor.
  2. I had one in my pantry that needed to be used.
  3. But most importantly, I’m dealing with a broken dishwasher and wanted to limit the amount of dishes I needed for this recipe. #foodbloggerproblems

Oh, and there’s this wonderful holiday this weekend, EASTER, that needs to be celebrated. And a delicious Coconut Pudding Cake is the perfect way to impress your family and friends, and still enjoy the holiday without stressing about your menu. You can even make this cake the night before! ENJOY!

Coconut Pudding Poke Cake...easy and delicious. EVERYONE LOVES this cake!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Coconut Pudding Cake

Prep Time: 3 hours

Yield: serves 15-18

• 1 box French Vanilla cake, plus ingredients to make according to package
  • 1 package (3.4oz) instant coconut cream pudding mix
  • 2 cup milk
  • 12oz Cool Whip
  • 1 cup toasted coconut

1. Prepare cake in a 13x9 according to package directions. Remove from oven and poke holes all over cake using the handle of a wooden spoon or a wooden skewer.
  2. In a mixing bowl, whip together the pudding mix and milk. Immediately pour over warm cake, using a spatula to spread it. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours (or overnight).
  3. When ready to serve, top with Cool whip and toasted coconut. Serve and enjoy!

Notes

**If you can't find French Vanilla (I use Duncan Hines), you can use any brand White Cake Mix, prepare according to package **To toast coconut, spread sweetened, shredded coconut on a baking sheet. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 8 minutes, stirring every couple minutes, being careful not to burn it.

Coconut Pudding Poke Cake...easy and delicious. EVERYONE LOVES this cake!

LOVE Poke Cakes? Here are a few of my favorites….

strawberry-jello-poke-cake-1-685x1024

Strawberry JELL-O Poke Cake…a delicious gelatin version, so refreshing and tasty!

banana-caramel-poke-cake-1-685x1024

Banana Caramel Poke Cake

trifle

JELL-O Cheesecake Trifle…perfect for a summer BBQ

Be sure to follow my DESSERTS board on Pinterest!

Follow Shugary Sweets’s board ***Desserts- sweets & treats*** on Pinterest.

A few more POKE CAKES from some of my favorite blogs:

Averie @ Averie Cooks April 19, 2014 at 11:40 am

I can SEE how moist and springy this baby is! Pinned

aimee @ shugarysweets April 20, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Thanks for the pin Averie :)

Julianne @ Beyond Frosting April 19, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Oh my gosh, a broken dishwasher would be my worst nightmare! I feel your pain. I love this Coconut Pudding Cake! The French vanilla box mix sounds like a perfect addition! I hope you have a wonderful Easter with your family!
Julianne @ Beyond Frosting recently posted..Triple Coconut Poke CakeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 20, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Thank you! I loved the French Vanilla with this cake, although yellow or white would have been great choices too! Happy Easter to you too :)

Lyuba@willcookforsmiles April 19, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Oooo, I think I have a box of Duncan Hines yellow cake mix somewhere in the pantry! Yummm, I’ve got to try this cake!
Thank you for the shout-out!!
Lyuba@willcookforsmiles recently posted..Show Stopper Saturday Link Party & Featuring Egg-Cellent RecipesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 20, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Anytime! Have a great weekend!!

George@Shopping April 19, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I never had Coconut Pudding Cake, It looks real good and looking at the ingredients and the Instructions don’t look to hard to make, The Poke Cake Strawberry,Banana Caramel Cake, The Jell-o cheesecake all look like delicious desserts.

Emily @ Life on Food April 20, 2014 at 7:09 am

This looks so good and delicious. It reminds me of something that would be served after church and the recipe would be found in the old school cookbook. Lovin’ it!

aimee @ shugarysweets April 20, 2014 at 6:34 pm

haha YES!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) April 20, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Oooooh so creamy and coconutty and yummy!!!

aimee @ shugarysweets April 20, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Thank you!!

Jennie @themessybakerblog April 20, 2014 at 10:00 pm

I have yet to make a poke cake, and I believe that needs to change. I adore coconut. This looks so moist. Pinned!

aimee @ shugarysweets April 21, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I definitely think that needs to change! Thanks for pinning Jennie!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..75+ Cinco de Mayo RecipesMy Profile

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain April 21, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Oh man broken dishwasher is the worst. >_< But I love this poke cake! Yay for coconut, yay for poke cake, yay for less dishes to clean!
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Strawberry Lemonade CupcakesMy Profile

Kelly - Life made Sweeter April 22, 2014 at 8:08 am

Oh no, sorry to hear about your broken dishwasher Aimee – that’s no fun. This cake is seriously amazing though! I love all the coconut action in this cake – I am obsessed with anything coconut so this cake needs to happen – pinning :)

Mary Frances April 23, 2014 at 8:59 am

Get well soon dishwasher – you are a food bloggers best friend!
Actually, I take that back, this cake is looking like my new best friend. You had me at coconut. And then pudding. So so good! Pinned!
Mary Frances recently posted..Chocolate Swirl PB2 Banana MuffinsMy Profile

deena May 27, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Thank you for the recipe. It looks yummy.i have to try it just wondering from where you get the instant coconut pudding.never seen in the Canadian store.

aimee @ shugarysweets May 28, 2014 at 8:53 am

It’s a JELL-O product!

deena May 28, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Thank you for your response. I found one.but in the package they said we have to boil the budding mixture with the milk until thiken.but you said in your recipe to just mix them and pour th directly on the hot cake? Which one I have to follow please

aimee @ shugarysweets May 29, 2014 at 7:43 am

I used an instant coconut pudding mix.

aux fourneaux July 5, 2014 at 4:35 pm

This looks so good and delicious ! Thank you for the recipe

aimee @ shugarysweets July 6, 2014 at 12:10 am