Easy Pasta e Fagioli Soup Recipe made in the Instant Pot. You’ll love this hearty comfort food with the trifecta of meat, pasta, and vegetables!
Move over Olive Garden, there’s a new copycat recipe in town that is better than the original.
Our family has gotten into a guilty habit of going out to eat every weekend.
While we change up where we go, I can’t help but think while we’re eating dinner “I can make that for much less money.”
Today’s soup is one of those easy homemade dinners that is on our monthly rotation.
Pasta e Fagioli soup, known as “pasta and beans” is an Italian classic. If you’ve ever been to Olive Garden, you may have even tried this hearty bowl of comfort food.
I don’t know about you, but I don’t usually put pasta and beans in the same meal…it’s usually one or the other, plus a protein and veggies. Pasta e Fagioli soup is an easy dish that is a complete meal. One bite and you’ll fall in love.
It’s got the trifecta of ingredients: Meat. Pasta. Vegetables. All in one delicious bite!
While today is an Instant Pot recipe, I’ve also included tips on how to make today’s recipe in the Slow Cooker and on the Stove Top. ENJOY!
How to make Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli
STEP 1: Saute the meat.
I use ground beef in my pasta fagioli soup, but feel free to use 1 lb of your favorite…Italian sausage, ground turkey, or a combo of these are fabulous.
Brown the meat in the Instant Pot until fully cooked. Drain the liquid and and the beef, set aside.
STEP 2: Cook the vegetables.
While on the “saute” function, add olive oil, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to the pot. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables have softened slightly and onions are translucent. This step adds a depth of flavor to the dish that you don’t want to skip.
STEP 3: Pressure Cook.
Add the beef broth to the pot while still on saute. Deglaze the pot by scraping the bits of browned meat and vegetables off the bottom. This takes only a few seconds, but is an important step!
Now add the beef back to the pot, as well as the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, remaining beef broth, water, ditalini pasta, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning. Give a quick stir.
Lock the lid in place, turn on High Pressure and cook time of 4 minutes.
When cook time ends, allow to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes, then do a quick release.
STEP 4: Finishing touches.
Open the lid after pressure releases and add one can of Great Northern Beans and one can of Kidney beans (both drained and rinsed).
Give the soup and stir and serve with parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
How to Make Pasta e Fagioli in Slow Cooker
Brown meat in skillet (or if your slow cooker has this option). Drain and add to bottom of slow cooker.
Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning.
NOTE: You will NOT be adding water and pasta to the slow cooker!
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
To add the ditalini pasta, you can either cook it ahead of time on the stove top, or 30 minutes prior to serving, add the pasta to the slow cooker with 1 cup of hot water. Stir, cover, and let cook.
When ready to serve in 30 minutes, stir in parsley and top with parmesan cheese. ENJOY.
How to Make Pasta Fagioli Soup on Stove Top
Brown meat in bottom of large soup pot (or dutch oven). Drain grease and add olive oil, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes, until vegetables have softened slightly.
Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, 1 cup water, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning.
NOTE: You do not add all the water or pasta at this time.
Cover soup pot and simmer on low for about 30 minutes, until vegetables have softened. Add remaining water and ditalini pasta. Cover and cook on medium until pasta is desired texture (about 10 minutes).
Remove from heat, add parsley and serve with parmesan cheese. ENJOY.
Can you freeze Pasta e Fagioli Soup
I love keeping soups, stews, and chili in my freezer for later meals.
However, I don’t recommend freezing this soup WITH the pasta.
If making in the Instant Pot, skip 1 cup of water and the pasta from the recipe.
Proceed as usual, and freeze in a ziploc freezer bag (lays flat in freezer) or an airtight freezer container for up to 3 months.
Thaw in refrigerator overnight. When ready to serve, add in cooked ditalini pasta and enjoy.
Tips and Tricks for making Pasta e Fagioli recipe
- Swap out the kidney beans for Cannellini beans. For whatever reason, I find the white beans to be a little creamier and kid friendly!
- Be sure to deglaze the pot with the beef broth. Failure to do so could result in a “burn” notice. Those bits of meat and veggies stuck on the pan can trigger this notice.
- During the quick pressure release, if it becomes messy, instill a “controlled” pressure release by turning the valve knob open and close. I will sometimes cover the top of the valve with a thin tea towel, tenting it over the valve with my hands to keep the “liquid” from spraying all over my kitchen.
- DO NOT SKIP PARSLEY. It really does add flavor to this soup!
- Leftover soup can be kept in refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-5 days. The noodles may get extra soft when reheating, but the flavor is still delicious!
- Today’s recipe was created in my Instant Pot 6 qt Duo. Different brands and size pressure cookers may yield different results. Time does not include the time the Instant Pot takes to come to pressure, be sure to factor that into your planning.
What to serve with Pasta e Fagioli
Pasta e Fagioli is hearty enough though to just add a loaf of Italian Bread to the table and call it a meal.
Add a bowl of this Spinach Artichoke dip to the table and everyone will be happy!
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Sloppy Joes
- Pot Roast
- Pork Chops
- Baked Ziti
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Mississippi Roast Recipe
- Crack Chicken
More Soup Recipes:
- Taco Soup
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Keto Soup Recipe
- Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Pumpkin Chili
- More Main Dish meal ideas
Easy Pasta e Fagioli Soup Recipe made in the Instant Pot. You'll love this hearty comfort food with the trifecta of meat, pasta, and vegetables!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 32 oz beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 can (15 oz) Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz) Kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Turn on Instant Pot and select "SAUTE." Add ground beef and cook until browned. Drain liquid and remove meat to paper towel lined plate. Set aside.
- Add olive oil, onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the instant pot while still on saute. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently until vegetables have softened slightly.
- Add the beef broth to the pot while still on saute. Deglaze the pot by scraping the bits of browned meat and vegetables off the bottom. This takes only a few seconds, but is an important step! Select "cancel."
- Now add the beef back to the pot, as well as the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, remaining beef broth, water, ditalini pasta, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning. Give a quick stir.
- Lock the lid in place, turn on High Pressure and cook time of 4 minutes.
- When cook time ends, allow to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes, then do a quick release.
- Open the lid after pressure releases and add one can of Great Northern Beans and one can of Kidney beans (both drained and rinsed).
- Give the soup and stir and serve with parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 1022mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 23g
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietitian for special diet advice.
Move over Olive Garden, there’s a new copycat recipe in town that is better than the original. Pasta e Fagioli soup can be made in Instant Pot, Slow Cooker or on the stove!