Make the famous fair food at home! This Walking Tacos recipe is a quick and easy meal you can eat on the go. Seasoned beef is mixed into bags of Doritos and topped with your favorite taco fixings!
Table of Contents
What are Walking Tacos
If you’ve ever been to a county fair or a carnival in the United States, chances are good you’ve come across Walking Tacos.
They’re also called “Walking Frito Pies” or “Frito Pie in a Bag” (especially in the South). In the midwest, Doritos are the more popular choice!
Walking tacos are bags of chips filled with ground beef and taco seasoning. Other taco toppings are usually added on top, like shredded cheese and sour cream.
Serving Walking Tacos for dinner or lunch is tons of fun! You eat them right out of the bags with a fork, which means NO DISHES!
I love serving these for parties, letting everyone add their own toppings. They’re also perfect for a fast and easy weeknight meal or picnic.
If you love Doritos, try our delicious Doritos Casserole for an easy weeknight meal.
Doritos. You’ll need 6 single serving (1 oz) bags of any flavor Doritos you like. Of course bags of Fritos will work too. Can’t find the individual bags? You can serve this in bowls or ziploc bags.
Taco Meat. Use my easy slow cooker taco meat recipe for the perfect hands off, stress free party option! So tasty too.
Toppings. You pick what you love! See ideas below.
Walking Tacos are best when you add all your favorite taco toppings! When I serve these, I set up a table or counter top with bowls of toppings and let everyone add their own.
That way everyone can customize their meal to suit their taste buds.
Need some ideas? Here are my favorites.
- Diced cherry tomatoes. They add perfect juicy sweetness to the beef.
- Shredded lettuce.
- Sour cream.
- Shredded Cheese. Shred it fresh onto each walking taco for easy melting.
- Salsa. Any variety you like. Homemade Pico de Gallo tastes great.
- Hot sauce. Spice lovers can amp up the heat!
Any kind of Doritos are delicious! Use your favorite flavor or buy a variety pack and let everyone choose for themselves. My personal favorite is classic Nacho Cheese.
Some Walking Tacos are made with Fritos rather than Doritos, making them similar to Frito Pie. However, most Frito Pie is made with chili rather than taco meat. Frito Pie can also be served from a casserole dish or a bowl, while Walking Tacos are served in chip bags!
Yes, ground turkey can be substituted here for a lighter meal. I prefer the flavor of ground beef here.
Yes, you can substitute other corn chips or tortilla chips but it will change up the flavor a bit. Chili Cheese Fritos would be delicious!
More Easy Dinner Recipes
Walking Tacos Recipe
- 1 Pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 bags doritos 1 ounce each
- 6 cherry tomatoes diced
- ½ cup shredded mexican cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- ½ cup guacamole
- Prepare your taco meat by crumbling it with a spatula and browning it in a skillet, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the taco seasoning and water and cook until thickened, about 2 to 4 minutes..
- While keeping doritos inside the bag, gently crush until chips are slightly broken.
- Add a heaping ¼ cup of taco meat to each bag.
- Layer your desired toppings directly into the bag of chips and toss with a fork before enjoying.
- You can use your favorite flavor of Doritos.
- The add-ins are optional, so each walking taco can be personalized to your own taste/preference.
- The slow cooker taco meat replaces the ground beef, seasoning, and water.
Walking Tacos make meal time more fun! With just four ingredients plus toppings, you’ll have a flavorful taco-inspired dinner you can eat anywhere.