Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Today is a surprise Baby Shower for my blogger friend, Mandy! What better treat to share at a baby shower than cupcakes?
Mandy doesn’t know yet if her baby will be a boy or a girl, so I had to share something gender neutral. Right? Which, is difficult for me, because I am all up to my ears in Pink Valentine’s treats. So maybe, Mandy, you are having a girl. You know, cause it’s the season?? Plus, this is your fourth, and then if it’s a girl you will be like me…ONE boy, THREE girls.
Anyways, Mandy blogs over at Mandy’s Recipe Box! She is the cute momma to 3 gorgeous children. AND, she is one of the very first bloggers I began following a year and a half ago. She hosts a fun link party on Tuesdays, so be sure you stop over and tell her I said HELLO!
Now, on to the cupcakes. It was either post a cute pink treat or these cupcakes in blue wrappers. I chose cupcakes. I love cupcakes. I love mint. I love chocolate. These are a win all around! The base of the cupcakes is my very favorite chocolate cupcake recipe. It’s tried and true and tastes delicious. You won’t need boxed mixes with this recipe in your arsenal.
If you prefer to have your frosting GREEN, feel free to add green food coloring before adding in your chocolate. I prefer the natural look on these, but my kids wanted to know why there weren’t green. So if you don’t want to explain yourself to 8yr olds, add in the green coloring!
Want more FROM SCRATCH cupcake recipes? Here are a few of my favorites:
Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Frosting: this is the VERY BEST white cake recipe you will ever find. I promise!!!
Confetti Cupcakes: make your own confetti cupcakes using your favorite colored sprinkles! So versatile!
Almond Wedding Cake Cupcakes with Raspberry Filling: probably my favorite cupcake recipe I’ve ever made, and my most requested!
Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream: a luscious lemon zested white cake topped with a creamy lemon buttercream frosting!
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Swiss Meringue Frosting: this recipe is all about the frosting. Buttery, caramel frosting!
Don’t miss a single recipe: connect with Shugary Sweets!
Visit the other bloggers participating in Mandy’s baby shower:
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Yield: 26-30 cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, strong
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 bag (10oz) dark chocolate and mint morsels *see note below
- For the cupcakes, mix flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and baking powder in small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix brewed coffee and milk. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar for 5 minutes until fluffy. Add egg. Slowly add in dry ingredients, alternating with milk mixture (in about 3 additions).
- Pour into lined cupcake pans and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-18 minutes. Remove and cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, beat butter with powdered sugar and skim milk until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes. Beat in peppermint extract.
- In a food processor (or blender), pulse chocolate morsels until small (NOT fine). Fold into frosting.
- Use an open star tip to pipe on frosting. ENJOY!
- **if you can't find the dark chocolate and mint morsels, just use dark chocolate morsels. You can increase the peppermint extract to 1/4 tsp.