Chocolate Mint Brownies

by aimee @ shugarysweets on March 6, 2013

Rich fudgy brownies topped with a soft chocolate mint layer. Topped with melted milk chocolate!

Chocolate Mint Brownies: rich, fudgy brownie base topped with a mint ganache and melted #milkchocolate #stpattysday www.shugarysweets.com

It’s been quite some time since I shared a brownie recipe on the blog. December was the last time. Nearly 3 months. Then, last week my blog friend Jocelyn shared some Thin Mint Fudge Brownies on her blog and I couldn’t get them out of my head. Seriously.

Earlier this week I made some Chocolate Mint Pretzel bites using the Duncan Hines frosting creations packet. I bought a few extra packets, just in case! I knew when making this brownie I would change a few things from Jocelyn’s recipe. I used my homemade brownie recipe as the base. I have nothing against brownie mixes, I just don’t usually have them on hand. It could totally work though for this recipe if you prefer. I also knew I wanted a soft chocolate mint layer. So instead of making a fudge layer, I made a chocolate mint ganache that you can sink your teeth into. Literally. Of course, to complete this recipe, it needed a final layer of milk chocolate. Agreed?

These are some seriously rich, seriously delicious brownies! Just be careful, it makes a whole 13×9 pan and once you start nibbling it’s so hard to stop! Consider yourself warned!

Here are a few other brownie recipes that I love:

Milky Way Double Fudge Brownies: Just look how dark and moist these brownies are! You can substitute your favorite candy in this recipe (Snicker’s work great, just sayin).

Milky Way Double Fudge Brownies from www.shugarysweets.com

Butterscotch Kit Kat Brownies: Soft brownie bottom with crispy Kit Kats topped with a layer of melted butterscotch!

Butterscotch Kit Kat Brownies from www.shugarysweets.com

Love this brownie recipe? Find more delicious recipes by following my boards on Pinterest:

Cookies Brownies and Bars

St Pattys Day

Cinco de Mayo

Don’t miss another mouthwatering recipe from Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me:

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin’

Chocolate Mint Brownies

• For the Mint filling:
  • 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 pkt (0.1oz) Duncan Hines chocolate mint Frosting Creations
  • 12oz white chocolate morsels
  • For the Topping:
  • 1 bag (11 1/2oz) milk chocolate morsels, melted

1. For the brownies, melt baking chocolate with butter in microwave dish for one minute. Stir and heat an additional 30 seconds. In a large mixing bowl combine melted chocolate and butter with sugars. Stir and add in eggs. Add flour and salt and stir until completely blended.
  2. Pour batter into a parchment paper lined 13x9 baking dish. Bake in a 325 degree oven for about 35 minutes. Remove and cool on wire rack.
  3. For the filling, in a small saucepan heat condensed milk until warm. Whisk in chocolate mint packet and white chocolate. Continue whisking on low heat until smooth. Pour over slightly cooled brownies. Allow brownies to set in refrigerator for 1-2 hours. Top with melted milk chocolate. ENJOY!
  4. **inspired by Inside BruCrew Life

Eva @ Eva Bakes March 6, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Oooh, I make a cool mint dessert that is very similar to this one. I love the chocolate and mint combo and know this would be a hit in our house!
Eva @ Eva Bakes recently posted..Boston Cream pieMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 7, 2013 at 6:21 am

Chocolate and mint just go so nicely together!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Mint BrowniesMy Profile

sally @ sallys baking addiction March 6, 2013 at 3:39 pm

mint and chocolate is taking over the world. :) These remind me of a swirly twirly minty fudgy brownie I made over the weekend. You would LOVE them Aimee! I am posting them soon. PS: I still have those pretzel bites on my mind…
sally @ sallys baking addiction recently posted..Homemade Monkey Bread with Caramel Sauce.My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 7, 2013 at 6:21 am

Can’t wait to see your brownies Sally!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Mint BrowniesMy Profile

Ari @ Ari's Menu March 6, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I LOVE mint and chocolate together!! These look amazing!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Green Giant Veggie Snack ChipsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 7, 2013 at 6:23 am

Thanks Ari!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Mint BrowniesMy Profile

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 6, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Gorgeous mint + choco combo and such perfect layers! I just posted choc + mint yesterday and last year, I posted choc + mint brownies around this time, and they turned out to be one of my most popular recipes of the year!
Averie @ Averie Cooks recently posted..Cookie Butter Brown Sugar Streusel BarsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 7, 2013 at 6:23 am

Who can resist chocolate and mint??
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Mint BrowniesMy Profile

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet March 6, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Mint is in the air! Love it! These brownies look so scrumptious and I love how they have thick layers, you can really get a taste and bite of each flavor!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Cool Mint Oreo Granola BarsMy Profile

carolinaheartstrings March 6, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Chocolate and mint, two wonderful flavors. Cannot wait to try this recipe.
carolinaheartstrings recently posted..WORDLESS WEDNESDAYMy Profile

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust March 6, 2013 at 8:44 pm

These would be gone in a flash Aimee! Chocolate and mint – to die for!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..5 Tips for Blogging Business cardsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 7, 2013 at 6:24 am

Agreed!! Thanks Dorothy.
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Mint BrowniesMy Profile

Suzanne March 7, 2013 at 12:35 am

Oh do these just look heavenly! I love mint brownies and these just are calling to me :)
Suzanne recently posted..#Chocolate Party- Chocolate Caramel BlondiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 7, 2013 at 6:24 am

Thanks Suzanne, I think you should answer the call ;)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Mint BrowniesMy Profile

Audra | The Baker Chick March 7, 2013 at 12:57 am

Oh these look wonderful! They remind me or grasshopper fudge which is my absolute favorite!
Audra | The Baker Chick recently posted..Salted Brown Butter SnickerdoodlesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 7, 2013 at 6:26 am

I haven’t made grasshopper fudge in years! thanks for the reminder Audra!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Mint BrowniesMy Profile

Erin | The Law Student's Wife March 7, 2013 at 8:22 am

What a sweet St. Patty’s-Day treat! I’m totally with you on going for the soft mint layer. That’s my favorite part. OK, and the homemade brownie is pretty fab too. Good thing I don’t have to choose :-)
Erin | The Law Student’s Wife recently posted..Shrimp and Artichoke FrittataMy Profile

tanya March 7, 2013 at 9:06 am

Yep, that mint layer is extraordinary! Now I’ll be thinking about it! Thanks Aimee!

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain March 7, 2013 at 9:26 am

I can’t imagine a better feeling than my teeth sinking into this ganache (as my dentist probably shudders at the thought lol). Gorgeous brownies Aimee – keep ‘em coming! Three months is FAR too long to wait for brownies like these :D
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Nifty Blogging Tips: Blog Planners and CalendarsMy Profile

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life March 7, 2013 at 9:30 am

Yay! I am so glad my brownies inspired you to bake these yummy looking brownies. Love the ganache mint topping with the chocolate glaze! I do have to say though, my fudge layer on mine was actually quite soft…something about being on the brownies didn’t let it set up quite as hard as normal…which was actually a really good thing :-) Now I think I need brownies…better make them today before my new diet starts on Saturday!!!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Carrot Cake FudgeMy Profile

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) March 7, 2013 at 10:21 am

These look so sweet and fudgy and I love that minty layer-they’d be great for St. Patrick’s Day too!
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted..“The” MeatballsMy Profile

Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations March 7, 2013 at 11:30 am

I love that you used sweetened condensed milk for the minty ganache layer. I was just wondering the other day if ganache with sweetened condensed milk was a thing :)
Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations recently posted..Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Banana BitesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 7, 2013 at 12:12 pm

LOL. I don’t know if it’s “correct” to call it ganache. But I couldn’t think of what else to describe the soft layer of mint :)
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Mint BrowniesMy Profile

Sues March 7, 2013 at 11:45 am

I always agree to a final layer of chocolate :) These look prefect and I’m in love with the colors!
Sues recently posted..Blood Orange Tart with Citrus CrustMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 7, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Thanks Sues! Can’t go wrong with extra chocolate!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Chocolate Mint BrowniesMy Profile

Kathy March 7, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I love any kind of brownies and these sound amazing! I have to get my hands on these Frosting Creations.
Kathy recently posted..Breakfast QuinoaMy Profile

Amber (Sprinkled With Flour) March 7, 2013 at 12:36 pm

These brownies sound amazing Aimee! I love mint and that creamy smooth layer of chocolate on the top is making me really hungry! :)
Amber (Sprinkled With Flour) recently posted..Chunky Twix Cookies: Before & AfterMy Profile

marcie@flavor the moments March 7, 2013 at 2:12 pm

What a great use of the Duncan Hine’s frosting creation. I’m going to have to give those things a try. St. Patrick’s Day is all about something minty and chocolatey for me, and this fits the bill perfectly!
marcie@flavor the moments recently posted..Thin Mint Ice Cream Brownie CupcakesMy Profile

Catherine Holt March 8, 2013 at 1:17 am

Oh my gosh, I absolutely LOVE brownies and these look delicious! The mint looks a beautiful colour…I just want to bite your picture….lol. Of course it would be hard knowing whether to make these or the kitkat or double fudge that you also have featured….hm…maybe will have to make them all!
Catherine Holt recently posted..St Patrick’s Day Dinner PartyMy Profile

Lisa March 8, 2013 at 7:38 am

Mint and Chocolate. There is nothing better, except to combine them!
Lisa recently posted..Easy Beer & BBQ ChickenMy Profile

Brooke March 10, 2013 at 1:20 pm

This recipe looks delicious! Can’t wait to make them.

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen March 10, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Oh yum, your brownies look so good!

Lisa March 15, 2013 at 8:15 am

I made these last night to bring into work today. My co-worker just cut into them and came rushing to my desk to make me take a bite. OMG–rich and delicious with just the right amount of mint flavor. I usually steer clear of recipes calling for sweetened condensed milk (I’m not sure why) but this recipe will change that!

Shirley Foster March 16, 2013 at 8:55 pm

These mint brownies sound delicious! I definitely will try them!!!!

aimee @ shugarysweets March 16, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Thanks Shirley! ENJOY!

Heather January 2, 2014 at 12:53 pm

The recipe looks great, however I really love the font you used for the ‘chocolate mint’ wording. Would you mind sharing what it is?