Guacamole

by aimee @ shugarysweets on May 1, 2013

Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner! How about celebrating with some perfect Guacamole?

Guacamole: chunky, delicious and perfect #cincodemayo

I used to be scared of guacamole. Like, wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole. Ordered all my mexican food “no guac, no sour cream.”

Then one day, I got brave. I forgot to ask for no guacamole, so I decided to try it. Seriously, I had never even taken a bite. Never tried an avocado.

And with that one bite, my life was changed. My Mexican food has reached new heights! If you’re like me and just thought it “looked gross” but never actually tried it, please TRY it.

Guacamole: chunky, delicious and perfect #cincodemayo

I know everyone who does love guacamole, probably has a favorite recipe. Or a preference over creamy guac vs. chunky guac.

I say, the chunkier the better! That’s how I like my salsa too, in case you were curious. My husband dips his chips into the liquid of the salsa while I scoop all the chunks. We are a perfect match.

Now if only I had a bite of this right now….

Guacamole: chunky, delicious and perfect #cincodemayo

Connect with Shugary Sweets! I know you want to see behind the scenes…check out my instagram!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin’

Guacamole

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 1 hour

Yield: serves 6-8

• 5 ripe avocados
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1 small red onion, diced
  • 1 1/2 limes, juiced
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, fresh, snipped
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed

1. In a large bowl, mash avocados with potato masher until desired consistency. I like to leave lots of chunks in my guacamole. Add diced tomatoes, diced onion, lime juice, cilantro, salt and garlic. Mix completely. Cover and refrigerate for an hour to allow flavors to blend. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy (I love the blue corn tortilla chips)!

Need more Cinco de Mayo recipes? I’ve got you covered…

Cinco de Mayo: delicious dinner ideas from shugarysweets.com

Enchilada Beef Rollups (top left photo)

Santa fe Stuffed Peppers (top right photo)

Beef Enchiladas (bottom left photo)

Pulled Pork Tostadas (bottom right photo)

Slow Cooker Carnitas

Slow Cooker Barbacoa with Cilantro Lime Rice

Baked Empanadas with Cheesy Saffron Rice

Jalapeno Corn Dip

Still looking for more ideas? Check out my Pinterest board: Cinco de Mayo

What are my friends cooking up on their blogs?

Check out this Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Hummus from Inside BruCrew Life

These Buffalo Chicken Sliders with Ranch Slaw have me drooling from Buns in My Oven

I die. SWEET GUACAMOLE DIP from Crazy for Crust. Now I can have it for dessert!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life May 1, 2013 at 7:10 am

I had that same fear for a while too. The first time I had guacamole I was in love! And I agree, the chunkier the better! Now I totally want some guac for lunch today :-)
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Roasted Red Pepper & Garlic HummusMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 1, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Yeah, we agree on the chunky!! And on your hummus, YUM.

Eva @ Eva Bakes May 1, 2013 at 8:57 am

We must be twins – I used to hate guac and wouldn’t go anywhere near it. Then one day I just tried it and really enjoyed it! I love mine chunky as well!
Eva @ Eva Bakes recently posted..Mini thin mint cheesecakesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 1, 2013 at 10:14 pm

haha! I love that we were insistent that we “hated it.” Until we tried it of course. So delicious.

Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies May 1, 2013 at 9:10 am

I accidentally tried guacamole when I was like 4 or 5. I’ve loved it ever since, even though it took my parents a long while to catch on. I’ve never found my *favorite* recipe, because pretty much anything with avocado is amazing to me :)
Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies recently posted..BBQ Veggie and Pineapple PizzaMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 1, 2013 at 10:15 pm

My kids love it, so hopefully that means I’m doing something right! I admit I enjoy avocado pretty much any way I get it. But this is definitely my go-to recipe.

Ashley May 1, 2013 at 9:48 am

No guac, no sour cream!?! Glad you came around, I can’t imagine life without these covering my tacos. :)
Ashley recently posted..Potato Chip CookiesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 1, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I know, right???

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) May 1, 2013 at 11:43 am

I was totally the same! A few years ago I finally was like “Eh I’ll give it a try” and was so surprised that I loved it! your recipe looks delish
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted..S’mores Cakes in JarsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 1, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Thanks Kayle, sounds like we aren’t the only ones who waited to try it…

Marcie@Flavorthemoments May 1, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Your guacamole ingredients are exactly the way I like mine — I just don’t normally add red onions. Guacamole is one of my favorite things about Mexican food!
Marcie@Flavorthemoments recently posted..Santa Fe Chicken Salad with Tangy Lime DressingMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 1, 2013 at 10:18 pm

We have a lot in common Marcie!!!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers May 1, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I was like you with guacamole then I feel in love in love with it. Love you rrecipe! Now I wants some chips and guac!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Lightened Up GuacamoleMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 1, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Love that you made guac too!!!

Julianne @ Beyond Frosting May 1, 2013 at 1:41 pm

GUH, I LOVE guacamole! This looks amazing. I usually don’t make mine with garlic, I should totally try it!
Julianne @ Beyond Frosting recently posted..French Toast Poke CakeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 1, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Oh you must try it! I like the zing it gives the guac.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking May 1, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Love your scrumptious, simple guacamole! It looks outrageously good and perfect for a Cinco de Mayo party!
Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking recently posted..3-Ingredient Cheater’s Chocolate CroissantsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 1, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Thanks Georgia!

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet May 1, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I do that too. No guacamole but then I had avocado in a soup and loved it!!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Peaches N’ Cream CupcakesMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 1, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Oh I love avocado in my soup….

Charlotte Moore May 1, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Just bought my first avocado a few weeks ago. I made a couple dips and my husband really liked them. I eat salsa like your husband. Just the juice must of the time. Hehehe!!!

aimee @ shugarysweets May 1, 2013 at 10:33 pm

ha! that’s funny. I love the chunks.

Karly May 1, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I, too, was once scared of avocados. That first bite of guac was life changing thoguh. I now eat guac as often as possible! This looks delish!
Karly recently posted..What’s Cookin’ Wednesday #17My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 1, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Oh we will get along just fine at conferences…

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust May 1, 2013 at 8:54 pm

I used to be just like you. Totally scared of avocados and guac. Now I inhale it like I might die without it. Thanks for the linky love!
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Oreo Peanut Butter PopcornMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 1, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I wish I could grow an avocado tree….

Anne ~ Uni Homemaker May 2, 2013 at 2:27 am

I prefer mine chunky and this looks delicious! Love your photos.

Lisa May 2, 2013 at 4:17 am

I’m Mexican and my birthday is May 5, so I’m always a little wary of recipes tagged as “Cinco de Mayo appropriate”–they just make me miss real Mexican food! But yours looks like the guacamole my mom taught me to make. Brownie points for authenticity! :)
Lisa recently posted..princess for a day: cinderellaMy Profile

tanya May 2, 2013 at 7:56 am

Guacamole is the best food every!!! Looks so fresh and creamy Aimee, I could pretty much eat this in one sitting.

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain May 2, 2013 at 11:00 am

I think chunky guacamole is def the better option – especially with some nice blue corn chips. This recipe looks fab Aimee! :D Forget cinco de mayo – just all year long heehee
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Cookie Classics: Brown Butter SnickerdoodlesMy Profile

Kathy May 2, 2013 at 11:39 am

I love, love, love guacamole (well, anything with avocados)! Your version looks delicious!
Kathy recently posted..Slow Cooker Carne AsadaMy Profile

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com May 2, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Yummy guacamole! Love the versatile recipes out there!
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Braised TofuMy Profile

Allyson @ All Our Days May 3, 2013 at 6:27 am

How did you know I’m responsible for making guacamole for a party on Sunday and have been searching for just the perfect recipe? Thanks so much!

We’d love for you to share your posts with our readers at our weekly Finished Friday Link-up.
Allyson @ All Our Days recently posted..Creating & Finished Friday #85My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets May 3, 2013 at 8:04 am

I’m good like that. You won’t be disappointed in this recipe Allyson!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Coffee Time with Shugary SweetsMy Profile

carrian May 3, 2013 at 11:16 am

I looooooooove guacamole!
carrian recently posted..Cinco De Mayo Recipe IdeasMy Profile

Nutmeg Nanny May 4, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Yum! I love some chunky guacamole :) this looks amazing!

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes May 5, 2013 at 11:38 pm

This looks SO GOOD. Avocados were a later in life food for me, too, and now I don’t know what I’d do without them!! :)

aimee @ shugarysweets May 6, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Thanks Meagan!!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Peanut Butter Cookie Dough TrufflesMy Profile