Slow Cooker meals are not only perfect for busy weeknight dinners, but also great for weekend entertaining too! Serve this easy Taco Chili recipe with a side of cornbread and all the fixings for a flavorful dinner.
Table of Contents
Why this Recipe Works
I know when some people think of slow cooker meals, the image that comes to mind is Boring. Bland. Ugly.
Today’s recipe is an easy, delicious, flavorful chili that’s pretty healthy for you too! It’s delicious served with jalapeno cheddar cornbread or piled with tortilla strips.
- Ground turkey – I used turkey to keep this meal on the healthier side. You can also substitute ground beef or chicken if preferred. Cook and drain the meat before adding it to the slow cooker.
- Taco seasoning – Use a homemade taco seasoning mix to give this chili flavor or substitute store bought. If you’re using store bought packets you may want to adjust the salt in this recipe. Those packets tend to be quite salty!
- Salsa – Your family’s favorite red salsa adds just the right touch of kick to this chili. I like the thick and chunky style for this recipe.
- Toppings – I used plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream on top of this chili. I also added a pinch of low fat shredded cheese, chopped avocado and some southwestern tortilla strips.
Step by Step Instructions
STEP 1. Add all ingredients (except the toppings) to your slow cooker. Give everything a stir to make sure the ingredients are combined.
STEP 2. Cover the chili and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours.
STEP 3. Serve in bowls with all your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Yes, but the longer cooking time allows all the flavors to mingle and combine so I think it tastes best when you use the low setting on the crock pot.
Yes, definitely make sure to brown the turkey in a pan on the stove top before adding it to the slow cooker.
No need to drain. Add the entire contents to the pot, including the liquid.
The answer depends on how spicy your salsa is. If you want a milder chili, use mild salsa and visa versa. You can always add some hot sauce on top with serving for more heat!
What to serve with Chili
Of course my attempts to keep this healthy were completely awash since I served this with a big side of Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread. But it’s all about balance and we need our carbs after all, right?
Taco chili could also turn a baked potato into an exciting meal or served with a big bag of tortilla chips for scooping!
I’m pretty sure this would make a great meal to serve at a potluck. Or family event. Make a big batch and have bowls of all the toppings on the side so everyone can make their perfect bowl.
Say goodbye to boring slow cooker dinners on those busy weeknights! Slow Cooker Taco Chili makes it possible to have a flavorful and exciting meal even when you have no time to cook.
More Slow Cooker Dinners
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Beef
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
- Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce
- Pork Carnitas
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
Slow Cooker Taco Chili
- 1 pound ground turkey cooked and drained
- 1 can sweet corn (don't drain) 15 ounce
- 1 can black beans (don't drain) 15 ounce
- 1 can red kidney beans (don't drain) 15 ounce
- 1 can tomato sauce 15 ounce
- 1 cup salsa I used a thick and chunky style
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large slow cooker, combine cooked ground turkey, corn, beans, salsa, tomato sauce, salt and taco seasoning. Make sure to add the liquid from all your cans of corn and beans!
- Give a quick stir to combine the ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve hot with plain greek yogurt (or sour cream), cheese, avocado and tortilla strips! ENJOY.
- Can I cook this on high? Yes, but the longer cooking time allows all the flavors to mingle and combine so I think it tastes best when you use the low setting on the crock pot.
- Do I cook the turkey before adding it to the pot? Yes, definitely make sure to brown the turkey in a pan on the stove top before adding it to the slow cooker.