Apple Blondies with Caramel Buttercream

by aimee @ shugarysweets on September 25, 2013

Chewy Apple Blondies topped with a Caramel Buttercream and Toffee bits. One of my favorite Apple desserts!

Apple Blondies: Chewy apple blondies topped with a caramel buttercream and toffee bits

I’m often asked what’s my favorite dessert. Or my favorite recipe. It’s a difficult question for me to answer.

First, it depends on the day. I might be more in the mood for a certain flavor. Or texture. Some days cake sounds delicious, other days it’s a cookie. All days Rice Krispie treats sound delicious to me.

Second, totally depends on the recipe. Some recipes are easy and some are difficult. Say I’m in the mood for peanut butter, I may only want to spend 5 minutes in my kitchen making a dip instead of a few hours making truffles.

Finally, it always depends on who’s enjoying the recipe with me. Will I be eating alone? Sharing with family? Girlfriends?

Asking a food blogger for their favorite recipe is complicated. Who knew? It’s like asking a parent to pick a favorite child!

But, I can honestly say, TODAY, (and today only, hehe) these Apple Blondies are my favorite recipe! They were easy to whip up (thanks to using CrunchPak apples) and the frosting. Oh my, you all know I love frosting….

I hope you enjoy today’s Apple Week recipe. In case you missed it, check out my Apple Pecan Cups from yesterday!

Also, be sure to stop by Jocelyn’s blog and check out her Caramel Apple Bars. She’s helping me celebrate Apple Week too!

Connect with Shugary Sweets!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Apple Blondies with Caramel Buttercream

• For the frosting:
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp caramel sauce
  • 2 Tbsp heavy cream
  • 2 Tbsp toffee bits

1. For the blondies, line a 9inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Spray with baking spray and press paper to sides of pan. Set aside.
  2. In a small bow, mix filling ingredients together with a fork. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, mix brown sugar with melted butter until smooth. Add egg, vanilla, salt and flour. Pour into bottom of prepared pan. Top with apple filling. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
  5. For the frosting, beat butter until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add powdered sugar, caramel and heavy cream. Beat an additional 3-4 minutes until desired consistency.
  6. Remove parchment paper from pan and place blondies on a large platter (or cutting board). Frost bars and sprinkle with remaining toffee bits. Cut into large squares, then into triangles. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to serve. ENJOY.

Notes

**I use caramel ice cream topping for this recipe!

More APPLE recipes:

apple-pie-doughnuts-2

Apple Pie Doughnuts: flaky biscuit donuts topped with frosting and apple pie…seriously delicious. Perfect as an individual dessert for family and friends!

cinnamon-roll-caramel-apple-cake

Caramel Apple Cinnamon Roll Cake: a tasty breakfast treat. Makes two cakes and freezes very well!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Life September 25, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I have a new favorite every single day…it all depends on what I am feeling like for the day. I have a feeling these would be an absolute favorite right away!! Yum!!!
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life recently posted..Caramel Apple BarsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets September 26, 2013 at 8:49 am

I love doing apple week with you! Your apple bars look might awesome too!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..Apple Blondies with Caramel ButtercreamMy Profile

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet September 25, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Okay I want to lick that frosting right off the picture! Seriously I would! Love apple week!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Black and White CupcakesMy Profile

Stephanie @ PlainChicken September 25, 2013 at 10:18 pm

loving apple week! I am dying over the caramel buttercream.
Stephanie @ PlainChicken recently posted..Morton’s Key Lime PieMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets September 26, 2013 at 8:50 am

Thanks Stephanie, I love Fall baking!!

marcie September 26, 2013 at 12:50 am

These look amazing, Aimee, and a great way to incorporate apples into a dessert for fall…or anytime. I love blondies, so I can tell you these would be right up there with some of my favorite desserts!
marcie recently posted..Pumpkin Graham Waffles with Chocolate ChipsMy Profile

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen September 26, 2013 at 1:46 am

I AM ALL OVER THESE!! SEriously on my to bake list like now!! Tomorrow maybe?! Seriously look absolutely lovely!!
Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen recently posted..Pumpkin MuffinsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets September 26, 2013 at 6:47 am

Elizabeth, you MUST try them. They were so so good.

Averie @ Averie Cooks September 26, 2013 at 2:18 am

You truly are the apple queen! You have more apple recipes than anyone – keep em coming! Your blondies are just the way I like mine!
Averie @ Averie Cooks recently posted..Soft Vegan Pumpkin Bread with Brown Sugar Streusel CrustMy Profile

The Sweet Corner September 26, 2013 at 6:09 am

WOW – these look fantastic. Shouldn’t every week be apple week? :D

aimee @ shugarysweets September 26, 2013 at 6:47 am

Love that idea!!

Eva @ Eva Bakes September 26, 2013 at 9:00 am

Pinned! I bet you could turn these into some pretty awesome truffles too… ;)
Eva @ Eva Bakes recently posted..Oatmeal cream pie cupcakesMy Profile

Lisa @ Garnish with Lemon September 26, 2013 at 9:33 am

I love all these apple and am wishing I had some of these for breakfast. It’s fruit, right? Works for me :)
Lisa @ Garnish with Lemon recently posted..Apple Cinnamon Pull Apart BreadMy Profile

Ashton September 26, 2013 at 10:12 am

That buttercream looks DIVINE!
Ashton recently posted..Pumpkin Nutella Donuts (the yeasty kind!)My Profile

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent September 26, 2013 at 12:01 pm

You are so right that the favorite dessert pick is tough! These look great : )
Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted..Apple Orchard BarsMy Profile

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction September 26, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Love the sound of the caramel buttercream! Perfect for topping apple blondies!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction recently posted..Running Rambles and Raves: Fall EditionMy Profile

Ashley September 26, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I always have trouble when people ask me what my favorite recipe (or even favorite thing to eat) is! It really does just depend on my mood. These blondies sound delicious – especially with that caramel buttercream!
Ashley recently posted..Apple Pie PopsiclesMy Profile

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry September 26, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I love these apple blondies! They look delicious.
Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry recently posted..Vegan Apple Cinnamon Peanut Butter PancakesMy Profile

Natasha @ The Cake Merchant September 26, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Apple means healthy, right? Does that mean I can have 12 of these?
Natasha @ The Cake Merchant recently posted..Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond ClustersMy Profile

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet September 26, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I love love blondies! These are the ultimate fall blondies for sure! Pinning!
Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet recently posted..Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies RecipeMy Profile

Dina September 26, 2013 at 4:03 pm

they sound yummy!
Dina recently posted..Müller Yogurt Coupon Giveaway WinnersMy Profile

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain September 26, 2013 at 6:16 pm

You know, blondies are totally under-appreciated. Everyone’s all about brownies, but really, I’ve had some freaking amazing blondies. And this one? AMAZING. They have freaking caramel buttercream and apples – take that brownies. :)
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Salted Caramel Mocha CookiesMy Profile

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner September 26, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Love these! They are the perfect bar cookie for this time of year! Pinning to make. :)
Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted..Beer BreadMy Profile

Trish - Mom On Timeout October 2, 2013 at 11:25 am

Totally decadent and perfect Aimee! Love!
Trish – Mom On Timeout recently posted..Candy Corn Sugar Cookie BarkMy Profile

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor October 6, 2013 at 1:46 am

These look INCREDIBLE!! YUM!

Kristen Duke October 7, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Oh wow – these look delicious!!! How can you go wrong with caramel apple anything, especially blondies?!
Kristen Duke recently posted..Chocolate Chili with Cornbread WafflesMy Profile

Mackenzie @ Cheerios and Lattes October 10, 2013 at 4:51 pm

These look amazing; great job!

dusty October 11, 2013 at 10:21 am

I would really love to have the recipe for the Balsamic Glazed Pork Tenderloin. I can’t seem to find. can you please e-mail it to me.

Andrea October 21, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Where did you find the toffee bit or bars to break up? I am having a hard time finding them.

live tranny cams January 9, 2014 at 5:54 pm

What’s up, this weekend is nice for me, as this
time i am reading this enormous informative paragraph here at my residence.
live tranny cams recently posted..live tranny camsMy Profile

Paula-bell'alimento April 1, 2014 at 9:11 am

Apples and Caramel in bar form. You’ve done me in.
Paula-bell’alimento recently posted..Homemade Coffee Caramel SauceMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets April 1, 2014 at 9:24 am

Ha! I do my best :) Thanks for stopping by Paula!

Marilyn Lesniak April 1, 2014 at 12:25 pm

This just looks so easy to make. You always have the recipes I am in the mood for. Or, you show recipes and make me want them. Either way, thx!
Marilyn Lesniak recently posted..Raspberry Peach Prosecco PunchMy Profile