Copycat Panera Macaroni and Cheese

by aimee @ shugarysweets on March 21, 2014

Creamy white cheddar macaroni and cheese just like Panera. Give this copycat version a try. Oh and it’s quick and easy on the stove top too!!

Be sure to follow me on Bloglovin’

Copycat Panera Mac and Cheese: easy stove top recipe, so creamy and thick just like the real thing!

My kids are so predictable sometimes when it comes to ordering from restaurants. I like to order something different every time I go out, it’s fun to try new things.

But at Panera, we all seem to be creatures of habit. We all get the same soup, sandwich or salad..EVERY TIME.

And of course, the macaroni and cheese. Obsessed.

It’s creamy. Wait…I should say it’s THICK and CREAMY. Capital letters help emphasize, right?

I thought it would be fun to try to recreate this recipe at home. I’m good at making the main dish for dinner, but it’s the side dishes that always get forgotten.

We usually end up having a fruit salad and a steamed veggie because I can’t seem to wrap my head around making side dishes.

But with today’s recipe, it’s the side dish that takes the show! If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen this photo. A side of sloppy joes with our Mac and Cheese.

I used Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar for this recipe. But a good quality white cheddar would work if you can’t find the Cabot. One of the many perks of my job (besides working in my pajamas and eating all day) is trying products from some of my favorite brands. I’m fortunate to be on the Cabot Cheese Board. Which basically means I get to try new products, delicious cheese, and let you all know what’s good. If you haven’t tried Cabot cheese, check out their website and find a store near you that sells their cheese. It gets devoured in our house!!

Anyways, I made this Copycat Panera recipe on the stove top. So easy! It makes a bunch too. When we went to reheat it, I added about 1/2 cup milk and cooked it on low on the stove top. Worked perfectly. Two days worth of mac and cheese for us!! YUMMY!

Connect with Shugary Sweets!

Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Pinterest | instagram | Bloglovin’

Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the     button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!

Copycat Panera Macaroni and Cheese

Yield: serves 8

Thick and Creamy macaroni and cheese, just like Panera!

• 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup milk (I used skim)
  • 2 cup heavy cream
  • 2 cup shredded white cheddar (I used Cabot seriously sharp cheddar)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp dry mustard
  • 1lb, pasta, cooked (cavatapppi, shells, or elbow)

1. Cook pasta according to package directions while making the sauce. Drain and set aside until ready to use.
  2. In a large pot on medium high heat, add butter until melted. Whisk in the flour and cook for about one minute. Reduce heat to medium and add milk, heavy cream, salt, dry mustard and pepper. Continue whisking until it begins to bubble. Reduce to low and add white cheddar. Stir until melted. Add cooked pasta, stirring until combined. Remove from heat and allow to sit about 5 minutes to thicken. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. ENJOY.

I’m a little obsessed with Macaroni and Cheese….

gouda-bacon-macaroni-and-cheese-3

Gouda and Bacon Mac and Cheese….it’s so goood-a (cheesy right?, hehehehe)

best-mac-and-cheese-1

Classic, best ever, Macaroni and Cheese

beef-enchilada-mac-and-cheese-4-685x1024

Beef Enchilada Mac and Cheese...a delicious, hearty meal!

A few favorite Macaroni and Cheese recipes from my favorite blogs:

**I am part of the Cabot Cheese Board community. I received free product, but no other compensation was received. All opinions are 100% my own**

Tanya Schroeder March 21, 2014 at 10:06 am

That’s a stunning bowl of mac and cheese! The only thing that would make it better is if it were mine!
Tanya Schroeder recently posted..Meal Plans Made Simple #10My Profile

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) March 21, 2014 at 10:20 am

That macaroni looks like perfection! So creamy and flavorful. I want a spoon of it right now!
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) recently posted..Yellow Cake with Chocolate FrostingMy Profile

Candace @ cabot March 21, 2014 at 11:09 am

So easy. So cheesy. So darned good!

Nan March 21, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Super-yum! We make a copycat of the Panera tomato soup that I like even better than the original. Happy Friday!

Karly March 21, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I have never had Panera’s mac and cheese. I always go for their chicken salad if I’m fortunate enough to find a Panera anywhere near me. Nebraska is dumb. This mac and cheese is not. The end.
Karly recently posted..Cheddar Garlic Grits with Fried Eggs {Vegetarian}My Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 22, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Haha #freakingnebraska :)

Kim May 30, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Karly, snarky but very cute.

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness March 21, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Not going to lie, I haven’t had Panera’s Macaroni and Cheese…but this girl LOVES white cheddar anything….and everything I have had at Panera has rocked my socks. If this is 1/16 as incredible as it looks (which I am 110% sure it is!) I am one happy girl! Pinned

Audrey March 21, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Can you baked this in the oven? If yes how and how long.thank you.

Audrey March 21, 2014 at 3:54 pm

I Am not sure if you received my first email.if you did I apologize for the second one.just won’t to know if you could bake this in the oven and how to do it and how long.thank you.

aimee @ shugarysweets March 22, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Hi Audrey, This is a stovetop recipe. Check out my other mac and cheese recipes, two of them are oven baked!

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet March 21, 2014 at 5:54 pm

A job where you get to try cheese? So lucky! :) I tried Cabot a few weeks ago and loved it! This looks delicious and I know it would go over well with the family!
Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet recently posted..Apricot Almond Butterscotch CookiesMy Profile

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) March 21, 2014 at 7:46 pm

PERFECT!!! so happpyyyy that you recreated this recipe-it looks crazy amazing
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) recently posted..#MrsTsPierogies for Girl’s Night! #MCMy Profile

Tanya March 21, 2014 at 7:55 pm

MMM..that looks like a great bowl of mac n cheese.
Tanya recently posted..Keys to Attracting Top TalentMy Profile

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen March 21, 2014 at 9:00 pm

I love the panera mac & cheese and I adore sharp cheddar, I can’t eat normal cheddar. Sharp all the way baby!!
Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen recently posted..Lemon Creme BrûléeMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 24, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I’m right there with you!!
aimee @ shugarysweets recently posted..75 Ways to Eat Chicken for DinnerMy Profile

Terry LaForce March 21, 2014 at 11:41 pm

One of our favorites at St. Louis Bread Company (Panera’s hometown!). Their serving size is never enough to satisfy. We’ll have this for dinner tomorrow night. Thank you for sharing.

Emily @ Life on Food March 22, 2014 at 7:34 am

I always get the same thing at Panera too. There have been one or two times where I got something else and although it wasn’t bad I missed the norm. The mac and cheese is not the norm. And though I would love to try it I want to miss out on my favorites. Making this at home is the perfect solution.
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..PicadilloMy Profile

Lyuba@willcookforsmiles March 22, 2014 at 9:36 am

This is seriously one delicious looking bowl of mac and cheese! White cheddar is my favorite!
Lyuba@willcookforsmiles recently posted..Show Stopper Saturday Link Party & Cookie FeaturesMy Profile

Maria G. March 22, 2014 at 4:12 pm

This dish looks so appetizing. I guess that the sauce is very piquant and there is a lot of it in the dish. I always admired the variety of macaroni in the shops. It is really amazing.
Maria G. recently posted..How to make a light fluid cream for normal and oily skinMy Profile

Jess @ On Sugar Mountain March 22, 2014 at 6:18 pm

So I totally see why you’d call this a side dish….I want it at my side all day long! (crickets chirping) But It needs to be my main course. Seriously though: this mac and cheese looks freaking out of this world, Aimee. :D
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain recently posted..Bacon and Roasted Potato Baked EggsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 24, 2014 at 5:43 pm

LOL. I giggled :)

Julianne @ Beyond Frosting March 22, 2014 at 11:34 pm

I am obsessed with Cabot cheese. Their outlet store used to be down the street from my office when I lived in Vermont. We would go in there all the time and bring back cheese and crackers for an afternoon snack at the office! I am dying over this Mac and Cheese!
Julianne @ Beyond Frosting recently posted..Cadbury Ganache Cookie CupsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 24, 2014 at 5:45 pm

An outlet store? Woah, that sounds deliciously dangerous!

Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron March 23, 2014 at 8:54 am

Bought everything to try this tonight!! Saw it on the recipe girls facebook and was drooling over it! Gorgeous photos and thanks for the recipe :) Love that bowl!!
Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron recently posted..Lemon Poppyseed Pasta SaladMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 24, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Hope you enjoyed the recipe!!

Jennie @themessybakerblog March 25, 2014 at 2:26 pm

PB does have good mac and cheese. Love this copycat version. So creamy!!!
Jennie @themessybakerblog recently posted..Cherry Pie Energy BallsMy Profile

aimee @ shugarysweets March 26, 2014 at 8:29 am

Thanks Jennie!! Let me know if you give it a try :)

tiffany mustain March 26, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Would this freeze well?????

Laura March 26, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Bookmarked this awhile ago but finally made it tonight. Only took a couple minutes longer than the magic blue box and oh so yummy! Our grocery stopped carrying Cabot, so I used Cracker Barrel Aged Reserved (sold out of sharp). It’s a little less salty than the Cabot, so I added another 1/2 tsp of salt. The only one who didn’t try was the toddler who’s going through a phase and only ate broccoli and pudding for dinner. Ahhh, comfort food at its finest.

Kelly March 27, 2014 at 8:40 am

That macaroni looks amazing Aimee! So creamy and flavorful – loved how you recreated it – it’s perfect! Wish I had a bowl right now :)

Erica March 27, 2014 at 10:36 am

I love the turquoise bowl itself! Where can you find those? By the way, awesome recipe!

geneva March 27, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Mac & Cheese, I could eat several times a week. I love the variations you can do with it. I found Cabot cheese out our local grocery store (Winn Dixie) , I am in Florida.
It wonderful dishes, the cheeses are so delish. Will try your version, soon. avocado mac and cheese will be the next one I try..

Thanks for your fabulous venues

Twin Mommy Erica April 25, 2014 at 6:53 pm

This is hands down THE BEST Mac and cheese recipe that I’ve ever had!!!!!! My two year old twins loved it too!! Thanks!

Laura Adams June 9, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Made this tonight with my rising college sophomore daughter. We have been looking at recipes that she and her roomie can make next year in their apartment at school. We really liked it. Daughter said maybe not seriously sharp white cheddar. Husband is seriously devouring it now. Will try again but with slightly less sharp. Great recipe!

Connie | URBAN BAKES June 10, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Oh. my. goodness! I just saw this on pinterest and I’m in aww. I’m so happy I have found a copycat recipe of Panera’s mac n cheese. Isn’t it amazing?! I’ve been dying to make this myself for a while now! Definitely saving this one! Thanks Aimee
Connie | URBAN BAKES recently posted..Hazelnut Chocolate CheesecakeMy Profile

Kristi A. June 19, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Oh the yumminess! I made this tonight to go with some fried fish my husband was making. Total comfort food! I LOVE mac and cheese. This is very much like Panera Bread’s. I couldn’t find Cabot but I did find Cracker Barrel white cheddar and I just LOVE this! Thanks you for sharing a delicious recipe!

Ellen July 12, 2014 at 6:59 pm

I NEVER cook but this looked so good I had to try it. I was afraid I would mess it up but it turned out phenomenal (and may just give me a nudge to make some more dishes in the future). Thanks so much for sharing!

aimee @ shugarysweets July 13, 2014 at 8:38 am

You’re welcome. Glad you enjoyed it :) It really is an easy AND delicious recipe!

Coryn July 20, 2014 at 4:43 pm

I made this last night. I used a combination of white cheddar and havarti, because it was what I had on hand. It was fantastic and so creamy!

aimee @ shugarysweets July 21, 2014 at 9:01 am

Oooh, love your choice in cheese! Glad you enjoyed the recipe :)

Sarah July 24, 2014 at 9:26 am

Where did you find those adorable bowls?

aimee @ shugarysweets July 24, 2014 at 11:04 am

Cost Plus WOrld Market!

sandra king July 24, 2014 at 11:14 am

Do you have to use heavy cream? Can you use reg. milk?