This easy Apple Crumble recipe is true comfort food with sweet caramelized apple filling and crunchy cinnamon topping. Total crowd pleaser and ready in under an hour!
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
Everyone loves a warm apple pie, but sometimes you just want something a little less time consuming. Something like this rustic apple crumble.
But before we talk about variations, let’s get to the real deal.
Today’s Apple Crumble is ready in under an hour making it the perfect dessert to pop in the oven while enjoying dinner.
When choosing the perfect apple crumble recipe, this recipe is best because:
- Apple stays soft, but not watery.
- Not too sweet, but not dry either.
- Ready in under in hour (less time than eating dinner and doing dishes).
Best apples to use for apple crumble: I like to use a tart apple, like Granny Smith or Golden Delicious. However, you really can’t go wrong with any fresh apple.
Oats. I use quick cook oats in today’s recipe, but rolled oats (or old fashioned oats) will also work if you like your oats more chewy (like in my favorite oatmeal scotchie cookies).
Sugar. A combination of granulated sugar and brown sugar is used in the apple mixture, and you’ll just need the brown sugar for the crumble topping.
Step by Step Instructions
Apple layer. Peel and dice 4 apples. Combine apples in a large bowl with lemon juice, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Pour into a 2 qt baking dish.
Combine crumble ingredients: brown sugar, cinnamon, oats, flour, butter. I find it easiest to use my hands to make the crumble, but a pastry cutter works too. Sprinkle over the top of apple mixture, pressing lightly.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 50 minutes, until bubbly and caramelized. Enjoy warm with whipped cream or ice cream!
Absolutely! To make ahead, just assemble, cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to bake (up to 24 hours).
I don’t recommend freezing a crumble, as I haven’t seen good success. The filling tends to get too watery, and the topping doesn’t have a good crunch.
A crisp is a fruit dessert topped with a crunchy layer of ingredients. A crumble is more of a streusel combination of flour, oats, sugars, and butter.
More Easy Apple Desserts
Did you try this Apple Crumble recipe? Be sure to leave a rating or a comment below!
For the Filling:
- 4 apples peeled and diced
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
For the Crumble:
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick cook oats
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter cubed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine diced apples with lemon juice, sugars, cinnamon and flour. Pour into a 2qt baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine crumble ingredients. Use hands to combine butter until crumbly (this takes a few minutes). Sprinkle over top of apple mixtures. Press lightly.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45-50 minutes, until bubbly and caramelized. Enjoy warm with a scoop of ice cream!
- APPLES: I like to use a tart apple, like Granny Smith or Golden Delicious. However, you really can’t go wrong with any fresh apple. Just peel and dice and enjoy the fresh comfort food of an apple pie without a crust!
- ADDITIONS: Add nuts or granola for a crispier crumble topping.
- MAKE AHEAD: Can be made 24 hours in advance. Refrigerate and cover with foil.
This Easy Apple Crumble Recipe is the perfect weeknight dessert. Whether serving a crowd or just yourself, you’ll love this easy dessert recipe!