Say hello to BBQ Chicken Pizza Soup. This hearty soup recipe is ready to eat in just 30 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve with homemade pizza crust dippers for a comforting meal the whole family loves.
Table of Contents
Why this Recipe Works
The result was simply delicious.
- Feeds a crowd. This recipe made enough soup to for my family of 6 hungry eaters. We even had some leftover for the next day.
- One step soup. Just put everything in a pot and simmer!
- Tastes like BBQ pizza. This has all the flavors of a chicken barbecue (Nashville style) pizza but easier to make.
- 30 minute recipe. While the soup is simmering, bake up the pizza dippers. Everything will be ready to serve at the same time.
Don’t forget dessert! A plate of ricotta cookies is the perfect finish.
- Chicken breasts. This is a perfect use for any leftover cooked chicken.
- BBQ sauce. Use your favorite sauce, store bought or homemade.
- Pizza crust mix. I used Betty Crocker mix for the pizza crust dippers. Refrigerated pizza crust works too.
How to make the soup:
Place all the ingredients for the soup in a large soup pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
How to make the pizza crust dippers:
Combine the pizza crust mix with water to form a dough. Press the dough onto a pizza stone. Stretch it until it’s about 12 inches around.
Drizzle the pizza crust with olive oil, garlic salt and Italian seasonings. Bake for about 15 minutes.
Remove and slice into bite sized pieces.
Serve BBQ Chicken Pizza Soup in a bowls with pizza dippers on the side. Garnish with shredded mozzarella and snipped fresh cilantro.
Yes, BBQ Chicken Pizza Soup freezes beautifully. Transfer to a freezer safe container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Freeze before adding cheese for best results.
Boneless skinless chicken thighs are also delicious in this soup. Make sure to cook and shred the meat before adding to the soup.
If you don’t have a pizza pan, press the dough into a rectangular on a regular cookie sheet. No pizza pan required!
More Soup Recipes
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup: this seriously tastes like the best cheeseburger ever…on a spoon!
- Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup: a hearty soup with TONS of flavor!
- Enchilada Soup
- Turkey Noodle Soup
- Southwest Chicken Chowder
- Lasagna Soup
BBQ Chicken Pizza Soup
For the Soup:
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 can sweet corn, drained 15.25 ounce
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 ounce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅔ cup BBQ sauce use your favorite variety
- ½ cup red onion diced
- ¼ cup cilantro snipped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro snipped, for garnish
For the Pizza Crust dippers:
- 1 package Betty Crocker Pizza Crust mix 6.5 ounce
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- For the soup, add chicken, corn, tomatoes, broth, salt, pepper, bbq sauce, red onion and 1/4 cup snipped cilantro to a large soup pot. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While soup is cooking, combine pizza crust mix with 1/2 cup water in a bowl. Using a wooden spoon, stir until combined. Dough will be sticky. Press with the palm of your hand onto a large round pizza stone (until it’s about 12inch around). Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt and Italian seasoning. Bake in a 450 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Remove and cut into bite sized pieces.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle mozzarella cheese and snipped cilantro on soup. Add pizza crust dippers and enjoy!
- Use rotisserie chicken. Grab a cooked chicken from the grocery store to make this soup recipe even easier. Or use our shredded chicken recipe!
- Storing soup. Transfer leftover soup to an airtight container. Store refrigerated and enjoy reheated within 3 days.
- Storing pizza crust dippers. Wrap in foil or plastic wrap. Store at room temperature and enjoy within 2 days. I like reheating them in the toaster oven before serving.
- Other dipping ideas. This soup would also be delicious with Garlic Breadsticks for dipping. Or try this Cheesy Garlic Bread.
- See blog post for more recipe tips and tricks.
Craving pizza and love BBQ chicken? Warm up with a comforting bowl of BBQ Chicken Pizza soup!