You’re going to love this Easy Chicken Salad recipe. A classic salad recipe made with yogurt, chicken, craisins and with a crunch from sliced almonds!
When it comes to lunch, I’m a big fan of easy chicken salad recipes as well as delicious chicken caesar salads!
Table of Contents
Why this Recipe is Best
Typically a chicken salad is packed with sour cream and/or mayonnaise. I’ve replaced both of those with plain Greek Yogurt. I also added in some heart healthy sliced almonds.
The almonds aren’t just for the health benefits. They add the perfect crunch! A little seasonings, some diced celery and dried cranberries, and you’re well on your way to a delicious lunch or dinner.
This chicken salad recipe has every bit of the flavor of a classic, mayo-packed salad while packing in more nutrients and less saturated fat.
I like to serve my chicken salad on a bed of spring greens. Some people prefer chicken salad in a croissant or on some sliced bread (also delicious). However you choose to serve it, one thing is for certain: The taste is amazing!
- Diced cooked chicken – Using my shredded chicken recipe is such a time saver! Just dice the chicken instead of shredding and you’re good to go. You can also use leftover roasted chicken or grab a cooked rotisserie chicken to make it even quicker.
- Greek yogurt – Plain unsweetened greek yogurt has the perfect balance of creaminess and tang. If preferred, you can substitute sour cream.
- Slivered almonds – Walnut pieces or pecans would work as a substitute too. If you need this to be nut free, go ahead and leave them out; the chicken salad will still taste great with crunch from the celery.
- Seasonings – I use dijon mustard, garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper to enhance all the natural flavors in the chicken salad. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Craisins– Don’t forget a handful of dried cranberries too for a juicy pop of sweet flavor.
Tips and Tricks
Letting the chicken salad rest in the fridge for at least 15 minutes before serving helps the flavors to mingle and combine. You can store this chicken salad in an airtight container for about 3 days.
Need more serving ideas? Here are a few more suggestions for how to eat and enjoy this healthy salad!
- Wraps – Stuff into a tortilla or flat bread.
- Crackers – Butter crackers or wheat crackers taste delicious with this!
- Greens – Tossed with mixed greens or romaine.
- Celery boats – Pile the salad into celery sticks for a crunchy, healthy snack!
- Open faced sandwich – Pile on to toasted french bread.
There’s no wrong way to eat this amazing chicken salad recipe!
For chicken salad, both chicken thigh and chicken breast meat that’s been cooked and diced work perfectly. If using leftover chicken from another recipe, make sure it’s not marinated or overly seasoned with spices that will overpower the chicken salad.
This chicken salad will stay good in the fridge for about 3 days. I like to add a few more almonds on top of my leftovers for even more crunch.
When making chicken salad, regular yogurt will have a more watery consistency than Greek yogurt and less tang, so I don’t recommend it as a substitute here.
More Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken
- Chicken Tostadas
- Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff
Chicken Salad Recipe
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken (about 1 lb chicken breasts)
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup diced celery about 3 stalks
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine diced chicken with yogurt, lemon juice, mustard, garlic powder, salt, pepper and celery.
- Fold in the dried cranberries and sliced almonds. Refrigerate until ready to use (this allows the flavors to mingle and combine).
- Serve on a bed of salad greens or on a sandwich. ENJOY
- Letting the chicken salad rest in the fridge for at least 15 minutes before serving helps the flavors to mingle and combine.
- You can store this chicken salad in an airtight container for about 3 days.
Scrumptious, flavorful, crunchy chicken salad that’s good for you too! What could be better? Try this protein packed, heart healthy recipe for lunch or dinner this week!
Made this for my friends and it was a HUGE hit! Will definitely make it again!
This is our favorite thing, especially on croissants! Makes for such an easy and delicious lunch.
We love chicken salad! This recipe is delicious! I love making it anytime we feed a crowd, because everyone loves it & you can make a big batch!
When I make chicken salad I add celery,
pineapple, apple and grapes to mine along with the nuts. Very yummy. I will try the yogurt next time I make it.
Cannot wait to make this! Do you happen to know the calories for this per serving?
I don’t know the calories for this recipe, but you can plug the ingredients you use into a program like myfitnesspal and calculate it 🙂
Has anyone else questioned the amount of salt? It sounds like way too much to me.
Kosher salt is more coarse than a table salt, but you can always use less and add more to taste 🙂
Chicken salad looks great!
How many calories in a single serving? im on a 1200 calorie a day diet
Looks tasty to me! Love that it’s not as heavy as the traditional sort.
This is how I’ve made my chicken salad for year, minus the dijon mustard. Sometimes I use half yogurt and half mayonnaise and add pineapple tidbits. Delicious!
Oooh, love the addition of pineapple!
I like chicken salad, but usually avoid because of all the mayo. This recipe looks delicious!
Love this recipe, I added diced gala apples. Delish.
I bet apples were a great addition!
i love it. i put celery and little red pepper flakes for a kick. no salt