Is it a cookie? A brownie? These giant Brookies are both! This recipe takes gooey chocolate chip cookies and marries them to fudgy brownies for the ultimate treat!
We’re all about dessert mashups over here! From sugar brookies to Brookie Cookies, combining two treats in one is always a delicious idea.
What are Brookies?
I have a favorite brownie recipe. And a favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. Then one day, they met, and it was love at first bite.
Corny? Yeah. But you’ll forgive me when you taste these cookie brownies. Or are they brownie cookies?
Both work, but I like to respect the equality of a cookie – brownie marriage and call these Brookies.
Brookies are dessert bars with one layer of brownies and one layer of cookies.
To make Brookies, you start by making a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough and a batch of brownie batter, from scratch.
For the brownie batter you need:
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Melted butter
- Chocolate chips
We could stop right there and make some pretty wonderful brownies. But we’re here for some decadence!
For the chocolate chip cookie layer you need:
- Crisco – Butter flavored is best!
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla Extract– be sure to try our Instant Pot Vanilla Extract recipe!
- Baking soda
- Kosher Salt
- Chocolate Chips
Now let’s put them together, shall we?
How to Make Brookies
Make the brownie layer.
In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together until just combined. Pour into a 13×9 pan that is lined with parchment paper.
Make the cookie layer.
Beat the Crisco with brown sugar. Add in vanilla, milk and egg. Slowly beat in flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Mix in chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls onto the brownie layer.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely. To speed up the process (because who has the patience to wait to dig into these brownie cookies bars?), pop the pan in the fridge.
PRO TIP: Use a serrated plastic knife to cut brookies. (or any brownies). Works like a charm without shredding the bars.
Tips and Tricks
- I like to cut these into BIG sqaures. Mostly to ensure that I can get my fill of the Brookies before my family eats them all! You can cut them into whatever size you like.
- If you want to stretch them to feed a big crowd, go ahead and turn them into Brookie bites–cut into 1 to 2 inch squares.
- If chocolate chip cookies baked on top of double chocolate brownies weren’t enough decadence for you, go ahead and do what I did and serve them in bowls with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- You could even go the extra mile and turn them into brookie sundaes with whipped cream, sprinkles, the works. It would be the perfect birthday treat for someone who loves brownies and cookies!
- Cutting the brookies: Lining the baking pan with parchment paper makes cutting into these bars a breeze. Once cooled, lift the parchment paper from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Use a cold sharp (not serrated) slice the brookies into bars.
- One more tip: If you’re making these when other people are home, don’t forget to set aside one or two for yourself as you cut them up! That way, when the entire batch inevitably gets gobbled up by your family, you’ll have your own secret stash to enjoy. Trust me on this.
Brookie bars keep well at room temperature for about a week as long as they’re stored in an airtight container. Everyone finds them so difficult to stop eating, though, that they rarely last even a couple of days!
Brookies freeze well when sliced into bars first! Freeze them in a single layer or with parchment paper between the layers to keep them from freezing. This is a great make ahead option–or if you wind up with more brookies than you want to eat all at once!
Using butter flavored shortening (Crisco) gives the cookie layer a buttery flavor with the chewy fudgy texture of cookies. If you don’t have Crisco or prefer not to use it, you can use butter in the cookie dough layer but the finished texture maybe a bit crumblier and not as chewy. They’ll still taste great!
More Easy Dessert Recipes
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- Chocolate Cheesecake
- Cake Mix Brownies
- Bread Pudding
Part brownie, part cookie, and entirely delicious, Giant Brookies are guaranteed to satisfy any sweet tooth!
Enigmeg- I am so glad you enjoyed them! I had to freeze half the batch because I couldn’t keep my hands off of them!
I just need to tell you that these are positively the most delicious things I have ever made. EVER. Thank you for sharing such an awesome recipe 🙂
You’re absolutely killin’ me with the KY references. Tee hee!
Broo-kies — what an awesome combination of two all-time-favs!
Thank you so much for sharing this at Recipe Sharing Monday. The new party is now up and I’d love for you to link up again 🙂
I’ve never heard of a Brookie so I had to come check them out. Sounds like a real crowd pleaser.
These are in my oven as I write. And, your Rolo fudge is chilling in my fridge. Now, if I can only muster enough energy to pull off your key lime fudge…
Thanks for sharing your delicious recipes. I hope you don’t mind a copy cat!
Yum!! Looks very good! http://bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com
These look amazing! What a great recipe!
Yummm! I’m going to have to try these – I feel a family favourite coming on . . .
Stop by and link up at What’s Cooking Wednesday!
These are fantastic! So good looking! Everything on your blog looks great!
hmm I am having a mouth watering right now ! and it is all your fault. lol
Love this idea! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Hahahaha you just compared a dessert to a KY commercial. I love it. I am going to giggle every time I eat one of these.
Mmmmmmm…it’s been way too long since I’ve baked brookies…I think your recipe is up next 🙂
These sounds fabulous Aimee!
I know I will always like your creations!
Add in peanut butter and these are beyond wonderful 🙂
My kids love these and I make them a lot. Only I use brownie mix and pillsbury cookie dough. I usually am bad and put ganache on top. Yummy!!
Oh my wow! These look delicious…and baked goods are made even better when they have fun names. 🙂
yup, definitely one of my fav combos too:-) love!!!