This Lemon Zucchini Cake is bright and full of sweet tangy flavor! Put that garden zucchini to use and make a perfect bundt cake for breakfast, tea time or dessert.
Why This Cake is Best
- Moist lemon cake. Shredded zucchini in the batter keeps this cake moist for days.
- Zesty flavor and aroma. If you adore lemon desserts, our lemon zucchini cake recipe is bound to become a new favorite.
- Lemon glaze. The sweet icing has just the right amount of bright citrusy tang. A perfect topping for a lemon zucchini bundt cake!
For the batter, you’ll need standard baking ingredients including flour, sugar and eggs. A few key additions set this cake apart from the crowd.
- Shredded zucchini. Learn how to shred zucchini to add amazing moisture to recipes like this zucchini cake.
- Lemon juice and zest. Juice provides acidity and tang, while the zest gives the cake its lemon aroma and flavor. Use our guide on how to zest a lemon for best tips.
- Lemon extract. A spoonful of this highly concentrated natural extract amplifies the lemon flavor even more!
First, Make the batter.
Start by beating together the sugar, oil and eggs. Mix in the lemon zest and juice along with the lemon extract.
Now add the remaining dry ingredients and mix to combine. Fold in the shredded zucchini last.
Bake the cake.
Pour the batter into a greased bundt pan. Bake lemon zucchini cake for about one hour.
After baking, let the cake cool in the pan for a few minutes. Inverted it onto a cake plate and let it cool completely.
Add glaze and garnish.
Finally, whisk together the glaze ingredients and pour it over the cooled lemon zucchini cake.
I also love sprinkling some extra lemon zest mixed with sugar over the cake. It gives it a beautiful finishing touch!
Tips and Tricks
- How to store: A cake saver is the best way! It will keep your lemon zucchini cake fresh and moist for about 3 days at room temperature.
- Don’t forget to grease the pan! Use a generous amount of baking spray to coat the inside of your bundt pan. Bundt cakes are prone to sticking if the pan is not greased thoroughly. Use our homemade cake release for best results.
- For perfect frosting: Whisk in the lemon juice a little at a time until the icing reaches your desired consistency. You want it thick but easy to pour.
You can use a few different methods to zest the lemons for this recipe. Read my complete guide for how to zest a lemon to learn everything you need to know!
Yes, frozen shredded zucchini works well in this cake recipe. Thaw it in the refrigerator then give it a little squeeze with paper towels to remove any excess water.
Lemon juice has a far less concentrated flavor than lemon extract so it won’t give the cake the same flavor.
If you don’t have lemon extract, you can make the cake without it. It just won’t be quite as lemony.
You sure can. This recipe makes enough batter to fill a standard half-sheet baking pan or two round layer cake pans.
More Fall Baking
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake: super moist and fudgy!
- Crunchy Streusel Zucchini Bread: this is my all-time favorite zucchini bread recipe!
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Pumpkin Roll
- Banana Zucchini Bars
- Apple Cider Donuts
Lemon Zucchini Cake is easy to make with the zip of fresh lemon and a perfect sweet glaze on top!