Lemon Zucchini Cake
This Lemon Zucchini Cake is bright and full of flavor! Perfect for using up those garden zucchini in this recipe that’s great for dessert, breakfast or tea time!
Prepare yourself. I have so many zucchini in my garden this year that I may have to make the month of August “zucchini recipe” month. No joke. It’s quite ridiculous. This is the first year I have a garden in my new house, and apparently it’s taken to the soil quite well. Between the rain and the extreme heat this month, everything is growing well!
So, if you are finding yourself with one zucchini, or a dozen, and they are that extra large variety (the kind that are small one day, and the next day you go out to pick and it’s larger than life), stay tuned, or check out my zucchini archives!
Today, we’re going to make a cake! And, because I’m obsessed with all things lemon, we’re going to make it a LEMON Zucchini Cake!
Adding the zucchini to this cake, not only gives you a little bit of veggies, but it gives so much moisture! And of course, you need to pour that gorgeous thick lemon glaze over the top. I guess it’s not really a glaze, more like a frosting at this point!
Don’t forget to spoon some of that extra frosting from the center of the cake over your slice. I mean, more frosting is always better!! ENJOY!
I created a fun little group on facebook and I’d love for you to join in! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new with Shugary Sweets (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #shugarysweets so I can see all the wonderful SHUGARY SWEETS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Shugary Sweets! Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (about 1-2 large lemons worth)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
For the Frosting:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 12 cup bundt pan (I love this one) with baking spray (or grease and flour the pan generously). Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. Add in lemon zest, lemon juice and lemon extract. Beat well.
- Add in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beat for 2-3 minutes. Fold in shredded zucchini.
- Pour into prepared bundt pan. Bake for 60 minutes. Remove and cool in pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto a cake plate and cool completely before adding the frosting.
- For the frosting, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Add more or less juice for desired consistency. Pour evenly over the top of the cooled cake.
- For the garnish, in a small bowl combine the lemon zest with granulated sugar. Mix with your fingers until fully combined. Sprinkle over cake. Store cake at room temperature in a cake saver for up to 3 days. ENJOY!
LOVE Zucchini recipes? Here are a few of my favorites:
Zucchini Bundt Cake: this cinnamon packed cake is perfect with a cup of hot coffee!
Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake: super moist and fudgy!
Crunchy Streusel Zucchini Bread: this is my all-time favorite zucchini bread recipe!
If you love today’s Lemon Zucchini Cake recipe…then check out these zucchini recipes from my friends:
- Cinnamon Swirl Zucchini Pumpkin Bread from Julie’s Eats and Treats
- Zucchini Cookies with Chocolate Frosting from Life in the Lofthouse
- Pumpkin Zucchini Cake from A Dash of Sanity
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Brownies from Diethood
**There may be affiliate links in this post! By clicking on them, or purchasing recommended items I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love! Thank you for supporting Shugary Sweets! See my disclosure policy for more info**