A Chunky Peanut Butter cookie recipe with even more chunk–from chocolate! If you love chocolate and peanut butter, these cookies are for you. A combo of dark and milk chocolate, plus a peanut crunch makes these cookies the best!
Cookies that bring peanut butter and chocolate together are always a hit. After making Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk cookies, try these Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars too!
Why this Recipe Works
Most peanut butter cookie recipes call for creamy peanut butter. But all you crunchy peanut butter lovers out there are dying for a cookie made with crunchy, chunky, peanut packed peanut butter!
The additional peanut chunks in this recipe add a satisfying bite to a buttery cookie.
And, of course, I added chocolate.
Okay. . . TWO kinds of chocolate.
Big pieces of extra dark chocolate meet sweet milk chocolate morsels. You get a harmonious blend of sweet, bitter, salty, chewy and crunchy in each cookie!
The peanut butter and chocolate lovers in your life will go NUTS for these. (Pun absolutely intended.)
Chunky Peanut Butter. Use shelf stable peanut butter (such as JIF or Skippy) with added sugars for best results. Natural peanut butters will make the cookies crumbly and greasy.
Dark chocolate. I used a bar of 70% cocoa chocolate, cut into bite sized chunks.
Vanilla extract. Use my How to Make Vanilla Extract for delicious results!
First, make the dough by creaming together butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla, then the dry ingredients.
Fold in the chopped chocolate and morsels. Drop spoonfuls of dough onto your baking sheet. Use the back of a fork to make a criss-cross pattern on top of each cookie.
Bake the cookies for 10 to 13 minutes. The bottoms will look a tiny bit browned.
Let cool and enjoy with a big glass of milk!
Tips and Tricks
- Use parchment paper. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper first for easy clean up!
- Freezing dough. Make the dough ahead of time, then freeze the cookie dough balls on the baking sheet. Once solid, transfer to a freezer bag and store for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to bake them, you can put them in the oven frozen. Just add a few more minutes of baking time.
- White chocolate variation. Swap the dark chocolate for white chocolate for a sweet twist.
Yes, crunchy and chunky peanut butter are interchangeable! They’re two names for the same ingredient.
Yes, feel free to make these peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies with creamy peanut butter if you prefer. They just won’t have the extra peanut pieces. But they’ll still be peanut butter-y and delicious!
Baked cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Or freeze baked cookies for up to 3 months!
Let frozen cookies thaw on the counter top before enjoying.
You can substitute semi-sweet or other kinds of chocolate chips if you like your chocolate extra dark. However, I find the combination of milk and dark chocolate is a better match!
Crunchy peanut butter finally gets its time in the cookie spotlight! These Peanut Butter Chunky Cookies with chocolate are guaranteed to satisfy any sweet tooth. These peanut butter treats are an instant hit!
More Easy Desserts
- This Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge is a great gift idea for teachers! Makes a big batch and would be really cute packaged up!
- Copycat Tiger Butter is so easy to make! Peanut butter & chocolate never tasted so good!